UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Mcgregor really has been subdued since this injury news hit. He did a scrum for some reporters shortly after and even though he tried his best to hide it, he seemed deflated.

No wonder. I feel gutted for the guy. He's put in a level of promo work that i've never seen from anyone else in the sport for this fight.

Here's said scrum..

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mcgregor really has been subdued since this injury news hit. He did a scrum for some reporters shortly after and even though he tried his best to hide it, he seemed deflated.

No wonder. I feel gutted for the guy. He's put in a level of promo work that i've never seen from anyone else in the sport for this fight.

Here's said scrum..

You can totally tell he knows he's fighting Mendes - he's so disappointed. Any time he talks about Aldo now, it sounds like lip service because he has to keep up the charade - no fire in his promos now.

• Paid Members

Also, Chad Mendes' tweets after the Aldo injury news broke didn't read like someone who was on 'standby' just incase Aldo couldn't fight. He seemed over the moon like he'd been told he was actually in. Going on about 'saving the show' and all that carry on.

It's McGregor vs Mendes, isn't it?

The thing is, ordinarily I'd be well chuffed with this fight. If UFC 189 was always going to be McGregor vs Mendes it wouldn't be what Aldo vs McGregor was but I'd still be counting the days. But this Aldo-McGregor build-up has been about as perfect as fight hype gets, we get within a fortnight of the fight happening and this happens. A bastard fortnight. It makes the Mendes fight, which is still an awesome fight, feel like an unsatisfactory second prize.

I love MMA but I hate it sometimes. You can't get excited about anything because it's close to 50/50 whether it'll even happen.

Providing Mendes doesn't fuck everything up, the idea of Conor and Jose playing the roles of HBK and Razor, or Punk and Cena, with their matching title belts is actually quite appealing. I reckon Conor would be a hoot in that scenario.

• Paid Members

Fuck. Yeah, it's Mendes isn't it.

Still think it's the wrong call. Makes more sense to me to put it on hold. Oh well, just think about the hype and anticipation when Mcgregor goes after Aldo as interim champ ...

Going from trading blows with a pound for pound great to getting wrestled to a decision by Chad Mendes will do that to a guy.

Mendes won't be able to keep Conor down.

I really want to agree. But I can't see it.

If it is Conor vs Mendes, I see Mendes winning by lopsided decision. 

I watched the full series of The Notorious the other night. Conor just shits charisma doesn't he?

Assuming he wins whatever fight he ends up with at 189, you can see going the full "I don't want this toy belt" route and calling Aldo everything under the sun in the lead up to the fight we all wanted to see

• Paid Members

Going from trading blows with a pound for pound great to getting wrestled to a decision by Chad Mendes will do that to a guy.

I really want to agree. But I can't see it.

If it is Conor vs Mendes, I see Mendes winning by lopsided decision. 

He can be taken down, but not held down - like Liddell. Conor is too long & lean & powerful.

• Paid Members

You know what's shit as well about McGregor vs Mendes? Even if McGregor went in there and looked amazing and blew Mendes' head off, he still won't get the credit for beating a wrestler because then it'll be 'he only won because Mendes took it on short notice.' Not that there wouldn't possibly be some merit in the short notice thing but it'll be unbearable. You can avoid that shit to an extent by limiting what sites you visit, but you'll always stumble across it somewhere.

And if Mendes wins it really looks shit for McGregor. Then he's lost to someone who took the fight on short notice.

It's almost a can't win situation in some ways. Yeah, if McGregor beat Mendes it only strengthens his position as number one contender. Especially if he's interim champion. That's the meaning of interim champ. It's basically a tarted up Number One Contender belt. But if he loses to Mendes he loses BIG. Aldo is the perfect opponent and this was the perfect time. The Aldo vs McGregor thing has become so interesting that I think the UFC will try their best to make the fight happen down the line, if it's off now. But I'm not sure it'll ever be quite as hot as it is now again. Aldo's on the top of his game and McGregor's untainted in terms of his UFC career. If he loses decisively or just say his wrestling gets badly exposed by a Mendes or Edgar, he'll have to climb the ladder again. Could be another year or 18 months before he's title shot ready again and that's a long time in MMA. Who's to say Aldo will still there for McGregor to fight by mid-late 2016. Between injuries and PEDs you never know who's going to be out of the picture month to month, much less a year or so.

If it does end up being McGregor vs Mendes, I really hope McGregor batters him spectacularly.

1) It keeps the Aldo fight alive for later in the year.

2) It solidifies even more McGregor as the top contender at 145 and just adds to the overall hype for the Aldo fight.

3) It might answer some questions on McGregor's wrestling/ground game.

4) Aldo vs McGregor is much more appealing than Aldo vs Mendes 3 right now. As awesome as Aldo vs Mendes 2 was, it was too recent and Aldo is 2-0 already.

5) I can't stand Chad Mendes.

• Paid Members

The annoying thing is, IF the fight is off, just announce Mcgregor vs Mendes. Put them in the same room for 20 mins and let shit happen and Mcgregor will deliver. They already have that balls on chin comment they can work with too.

Whilst its not the fight everyone wants, 2 weeks is all Mcgregor needs to get people pumped for a Mendes fight.

Another shit thing about this scenario that I only just realised is that even if McGregor beats Mendes and Aldo is only out for 1-2 months, then we won't even get to see that fight for likely another 5/6 months at least as it'd be a really quick turnaround for Conor - especially worse if he picks up a knock or two in the fight.

Had they done the smart thing in simply just rescheduling the fight, Aldo wouldn't have to sit on the shelf even longer than needed and lose yet more of his prime fighting years. Now whenever Aldo fights again (provided he does indeed drop out) it'll be well over a year since his last fight and the guy hasn't fought more than twice in one year since 2009, which is all well and good if you're making the money of say GSP when he did that but I highly doubt that's the case for Aldo.

People aren't exactly clamouring in anticipation for a McGregor/Mendes short notice fight.

And you know this how? 

Besides, it's not about keeping him down, it's about taking him down repeatedly and scoring points with the judges, which Mendes is very capable of doing.

Okay I'm actually now slightly excited for McGregor/Mendes and the vague potential of McGregor/Aldo Belt vs. Belt on the New Year show... that would be MASSIVE.

Obviously, on the other hand, Mendes winning the interim belt would be completely shit.

Archived