UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when I said I wasn't watching any of the build up too early? This is why.

I'll just wait and see who actually fights on the night. Until then, I'm of the mindset that neither guy is fighting, so anything we get is a bonus.

• Paid Members

This is so good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=S1AsYqcN6Go

...even the Nicki Minaj bit can't ruin it for me. Seriously well put together promo. One of the best I've seen yet and believe me, I've been watching the shit out of Aldo vs McGregor promos lately.

I really don't want to see Mendes vs McGregor. I just feel that Mendes is all wrong for McGregor, and it would ruin what could be a real spectacle between McGregor and Aldo. The timing is perfect for Aldo vs McGregor. Both have heaps of momentum, and the UFC have promoted the heck out of it. If McGregor loses to Mendes, and ends up fighting Aldo in a years time, it will greatly dilute the spectacle.

Plus, in the likely event that Mendes wins, does anyone really want to see Aldo vs Mendes 3? Their 2nd fight was a cracker, but it's too soon to be getting excited about a third meeting between the two.

If I was the UFC, I would be jumping through hoops to ensure Aldo's next fight is against McGregor, regardless as to whether it occurs on July 11th or not. It surely helps that Lawler vs Rory is booked for the July 11th show. That fight is a credible headliner in its own right. The July 11th show does not live or die off Aldo vs McGregor occurring, but a future massive buyrate does. 

The scary thing, they hypes only going to get bigger in the next two weeks. The buy rate for this is going to be huge - not just for recent events but all UFC events

The scary thing, they hypes only going to get bigger in the next two weeks. The buy rate for this is going to be huge - not just for recent events but all UFC events

• Paid Members

Spot on Jim.

I hope it does happen on July 11th though. For one, I'm not sure I can wait any longer than that. And two, my birthday is the 13th so this is like a nice little early birthday present.

Oh yeah, meant to mention earlier, that 6 part Conor McGregor documentary series is out on DVD now.

RTEDVD173.jpg

I didn't end up seeing all the episodes but the ones I did catch (thanks to Supremo, as I recall) were tremendous. Just ordered it.

Here's the Amazon link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YUHPMFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1435341476&sr=8-4Ï€=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=conor+mcgregor&dpPl=1&dpID=61JUehcz3gL&ref=plSrch

Spot on Jim.

I hope it does happen on July 11th though. For one, I'm not sure I can wait any longer than that. And two, my birthday is the 13th so this is like a nice little early birthday present.

Oh yeah, meant to mention earlier, that 6 part Conor McGregor documentary series is out on DVD now.

RTEDVD173.jpg

I didn't end up seeing all the episodes but the ones I did catch (thanks to Supremo, as I recall) were tremendous. Just ordered it.

Here's the Amazon link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YUHPMFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1435341476&sr=8-4Ï€=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=conor+mcgregor&dpPl=1&dpID=61JUehcz3gL&ref=plSrch

Just a quick heads up, this is on UFC Fight Pass, which you can get a 7 day free trial of so can watch it for nothing if you wish to

• Paid Members

Yeah, or that. I'm old school though. I like having a physical copy of stuff like that. I've got a nice little collection of MMA documentaries building up now - Choke, Smashing Machine, Like Water, UFC 20 Years: Fighting For A Generation. The Royce Gracie, Matt Hughes, Ronda Rousey, BJ Penn, Chuck vs Tito docs etc.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah I knew what you meant mate. I should've mentioned it was on Fight Pass myself really.

Smashing Machine was brilliant. Something proper dingy and cheap about the whole thing but it's a really interesting look behind the scenes of the early years of MMA. I love all the backstage footage from Pride in there as well. Even the bits where it's guys like Wanderlei Silva and Igor Vovchanchyn farting about backstage doing nothing of note.

I'd love to see a proper Pride doc like the UFC 20 Years one. It'll probably never happen but the Pride backstory pisses all over the UFC's. Yakuza links, fixed fights, steroids, the fall of the company, the president being found dead under suspicious circumstances etc. It was a fascinating company. I'd love to know all the stories. I've got a feeling there's shitloads we don't know.

Smashing Machine was brilliant. Something proper dingy and cheap about the whole thing but it's a really interesting look behind the scenes of the early years of MMA. I love all the backstage footage from Pride in there as well. Even the bits where it's guys like Wanderlei Silva and Igor Vovchanchyn farting about backstage doing nothing of note.

I felt the presentation was strong (it was done by HBO, so no surprise). But I get what you mean. Overall, it was a captivating documentary, but not a very good advert for MMA. One to watch for the purists, rather than newer fans. 

I'd love to see a proper Pride doc like the UFC 20 Years one. It'll probably never happen but the Pride backstory pisses all over the UFC's. Yakuza links, fixed fights, steroids, the fall of the company, the president being found dead under suspicious circumstances etc. It was a fascinating company. I'd love to know all the stories. I've got a feeling there's shitloads we don't know.

I agree. Stuff was leaking well after its demise. I can't remember the exact details, but Fedor's manager went on that crappy Spike TV show hosted by Nate Quarry, and revealed some shady stuff. It was related to where Fedor was going to fight on one of the New Years Eve shows. 

At least two bigwigs ended up dead. The president you mentioned was rumoured to have committed suicide over a failed love affair. That was the official story, but details were very sketchy, and loads of rumours were flying around. Plus, I swear someone else was found dead later on. Possibly within a year after it went under. 

The dodgiest rumour I have heard about UFC management, is that Dana might have got his end away with an Octagon girl in 2004. Although I always assumed that was an internet myth, as it only got cited on message boards around 2005/2006 time. Even if it was true, it doesn't really measure up to Pride's scandals does it?

• Paid Members

There is a Pride documentary, but it focuses very much on the positive side of things and sticks specifically to the fights. I would love a warts n' all style documentary or even book at some point.

The Smashing Machine and Choke are two essential views for MMA officianado's. We're kind of spoilt for choice these days but back 10 years ago or so there were only a few documentaries in existence. Another one (which is always forgotten about) was Rites of Passage. I havent seen it in years and i cant remember if its any good, but as a snapshot to to the early days of MMA its pretty unique.

• Paid Members

So it turns out they couldn't keep it quiet that Aldo does actually have a fractured rib - and not a bruised rib as they tried to claim last week as part of the ruse. This info was not supposed to be disclosed, as the plan was to lead people along until the day before. 

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/6/27/8855867/jose-aldo-s-medical-report-indicates-fracture-final-decision-to-be

"Decision will be made next week" - but as I said - McGregor already knows it's Mendes since last Tuesday.

• Paid Members

I'm trying to think of what benefit they have keeping it a secret though?

The only one I can think of is they are waiting till everyone has travelled over making it too late to attempt to get refunds? Even then its unlikely.

Yeah that and probably the same with PPV buys. If people have purchased it/organised events with friends etc it's more of a hassle to cancel those plans last minute thus they still sell this show well?

Archived