UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I actually know a couple of guys who have bought tickets, flights and accommodation and i bet they are in fact feeling ill right now. Poor bastards.

I still remember when a few of us were debating whether to travel to vegas to watch this fight and most, including yourself i think, said people would be crazy when it comes to relying on Aldo not getting injured.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We were dangerously close to buying flights and tickets, but after calculating how much our wedding will cost next year we decided against it. Thank fuck. I knew Aldo would get injured. Guy's made of glass.

Although now it's been announced that Cathal Pendred is facing John Howard on the card.

No idea whats happened to Thatch? Unless he's now stepping in to face Nelson.

Bit of a mess this.

Yeah, Thatch is fighting Nelson now. That fight has improved immeasurably.

• Paid Members

I actually know a couple of guys who have bought tickets, flights and accommodation and i bet they are in fact feeling ill right now. Poor bastards.

I still remember when a few of us were debating whether to travel to vegas to watch this fight and most, including yourself i think, said people would be crazy when it comes to relying on Aldo not getting injured.

I think at the time people were saying about it being international fight week and therefore you're still pretty certain to get a quality card and a fun trip out of it. Not the same, but still probably the best show of the year to take the risk on.

What a bastard for them if it does fall through though.

• Paid Members

What's most upsetting is that if they replace Aldo with Frankie or Chad then there's a very real chance that they'll beat Conor, and we might never see Aldo vs. McGregor. After all this hype. I don't think I'll ever get over the disappointment.

Ariel is hinting that Aldo may have gone through with the fight, but the news getting out might change that significantly. A shame. Selfishly I would have loved him to have fought injured, lost, used the injury as an excuse and then had an even bigger rematch in Dublin.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell.

As soon as I looked on here and saw this thread had shot up to 8 pages, I knew it must be some bad shit. Like lamby, Dana's 'just relax' stuff doesn't reassure me. He's a promoter. He doesn't want to confirm the biggest fight of the year is down the shitter until he absolutely has to. I could swear he did do this with another fight before where there were rumours the fight was off and he was tweeting 'calm down dear, it's just a rumour'. Like a bald Michael Winner. Only to then confirm the rumours were true a couple of days later.

We'll see. But rumours like this rarely start without some fact behind them.

but there's a shitstorm going on online just now.

Apparently Aldo's a coward, Nd broke his own rib to get out of the fight, and another I heard was that he broke his own rib to avoid a drug test.

None of that was on the sherdog forum, by the way.

That is ridiculous.

Why anyone would believe that stuff baffles me. Complete idiots. For one, Aldo has been complaining about the money he makes for a few years now. Why would he deliberately injure himself to stop the biggest fight of his career happening? That's madness. This fight would do more for him, both financially and to raise his profile, than any other fight he could possibly have right now.

Some people need to fuck the tinfoil Tapout shirts off and get some fresh air. To think a guy like Aldo would fear anyone, and then go to such lengths to break his own rib to get out of a fight - it's the ramblings of a dribbling moron. Then add in the money Aldo stood to gain from this, yeah it's bollocks. Aldo will be as gutted as anyone of this fight is off. Unfortunately the truth is most likely a lot more boring than some would like it to be. Aldo is breaking down physically and has been for a few years. He's been scraping through camps for a while now, the Chad Mendes rematch had to be rescheduled as well. It's not as exciting as the conspiracy theories knocking around but that's almost certainly what the issue is. Aldo is just injury prone. It's easy to say 'well he shouldn't have been going so hard this close to the fight' but like David says, you don't necessarily have to be 'going hard' to injure a rib. And also, it's fight training. The possibilities of getting hurt while training for a fight are staggeringly high.

On a positive note, I love Nelson vs Thatch. And even Pendred vs Howard is interesting. The undercard has actually improved with the reshuffle, and it was already a good undercard. But that main event is worrying me.

• Paid Members

Looks like Frankie might be stepping in according to Ariel.

That definitely makes the most sense.

What's shit though, is McGregor will finally get that wrestler test but he'll have to take it on a short notice, last minute switch up. It's not ideal. You couldn't really get a much more opposite style of opponent from Jose Aldo than Frankie Edgar. It's a completely different fight that requires completely different preparation and tactics. And if it ends up being McGregor vs Edgar, McGregor has two and a bit weeks to prep for that.

Not making a ready made excuse by the way. I've always thought Edgar was going to be the hardest guy to beat for McGregor in the division. Harder than Aldo or Mendes. Just see his style giving McGregor fits. Whether McGregor had a full camp for Edgar or not, I'd be picking Edgar. But it's a shame that it looks like McGregor is finally going to face that challenge of a really top flight wrestler, and he's spent the whole camp training for a Muay Thai striker.

Like Supremo says, this could end up meaning we don't see Aldo vs McGregor at all. If Edgar went in there and just dominated and submitted McGregor like he did to Swanson, then McGregor's way out of the title picture. We'd then have Aldo vs Edgar 2 for the title and there's no guarantee McGregor ever gets back in the position he's in now again. With a loss to Edgar, he might never regain this huge momentum he's got right now. Especially if he wound up fighting a Chad Mendes or Ricardo Lamas in the meantime. Both fights I could see being a real struggle for him.

This was the perfect time for Aldo vs McGregor. While McGregor still had this momentum and aura about him. They might never recapture that if this fight is off. That's not to say McGregor wouldn't still be a massive attraction. Of course he would be. And I still think we'll get that big Dublin stadium show regardless at some point. But for this particular fight - Aldo vs McGregor could still happen down the line but I'm not sure it'd ever be as big as it would be right now with McGregor coming off a loss/losses.

Sucks a fat dick, this whole situation.

Edit - yeah hopefully it'll be a short term thing and they can just push it back a few weeks or a month or whatever. But the fact Ariel is saying there's been dialogue between the UFC and Frankie Edgar about Edgar possibly stepping in, leads me to believe they're going with McGregor vs Edgar.

If it was up to me I'd postpone it and try to push Aldo vs McGregor back to UFC 190 in August. A double-header of Aldo vs McGregor and Rousey vs Correia, in Brazil, with an undercard of Shogun vs Nog 2, Nog vs Struve etc, it would be fucking mental.

Yeah it seems idiotic to me to do McGregor vs Edgar in such short notice. Just move this fight back two months or so instead of losing the biggest fight the company has in them.

Obviously it'd be shit for the Irish (and Brazillian) fans already travelling but despite losing the fight that matters most, it's not like this is a one fight card anyway - Lawler/MacDonald is a fucking solid headliner for any PPV.

Why lose a 1 million+ buyrate to do an unnecessary fight on an already cracking card, it's not exactly UFC 151 without the headliner is it?

Archived