UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

If Conor does beat Aldo, I would only have him behind Rousey, and an active Jon Jones. There's a big case for Mighty mouse but it's the competition he's facing that doesn't cut it for me. You could argue the same could be said for Rousey, but it's the manner she's dispatching her opponents that put her on top.

If Conor beats Aldo, then say beats Edgar, that for me would leap frog him to number 1. 

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with Wand's point about how McGregor's detractors are biased and almost invent flaws, but the same can be said of those who love him and how their opinion is equally as dismissible as it isn't objective. I'm talking about those who McGregor has sparked their interest in MMA mainly. Actually, I'm just on about my relatives in Ireland, aren't I?

It going to be fucking wicked, isn't it!

I can predict the future - if Conor beats Jose, they'll add "Not legit until he beats the #2 guy, then #3 guy" - because beating the champ won't be enough. McGregor will need to go back up the rankings in reverse beating everyone before anyone gives him his due credit- will they still probably won't do.

Are we really going to start talking about that type of fan again? Really? We not done it to death already?

There are none of them on this forum who post in the MMA threads, so why bother? Leave them to it. They're the MMA equivalent of fuckwits like Dangerously, the kind of guys who Tweet Dana asking why Pete Spratt isn't a first ballot Hall Of Famer, or why Tamdan McCrory isn't being re-signed after his two fight win streak in Bellator.

I see you mentioning these people as well, Wand. Seriously, where do you come across them? Are you reading the comments section on Youtube and MMA Junkie articles?

People are already saying: "yeah, maybe he can beat Aldo - but he can't beat Mendes or Edgar".

And quite legitimately in my opinion. I've said it before, styles make fights, and high level US wrestlers usually give European fighters especially fits simply because they're so much better at it than we are.

I'll tell you what, I think McGregor has a better chance against Aldo than he would against either Edgar or Mendes (or even Lamas) simply because of the style matchup. That's not questioning McGregor's legitimacy (which is ridiculous in the first place), it's simply assessing which styles would give him more trouble, and unless he's some sort of wrestling savant it's only logical to believe that someone with awesome takedowns and wrestling would trouble him more than a fellow striker.

As for the actual fight itself, I wouldn't mind seeing McGregor win. It would change things up in a big way, and it would be nice to finally see a Brit win a UFC title in the modern era.

• Paid Members

As for the actual fight itself, I wouldn't mind seeing McGregor win. It would change things up in a big way, and it would be nice to finally see a Brit win a UFC title in the modern era.

Isn't he from ROI?

• Paid Members

That "Not legit until..." image herbie posted is still one of the best things on the internet. Some MMA fans are proper mental, with their resentment of McGregor and his rise to where he is now. I can understand not liking somebody and wishing they would lose ("Jon Jones get your shit together", indeed), but to dismiss their achievements and winning is ludicrous. It's also why McGregor has to win, as it will hopefully lead to some Lesnar-style moaning from the dweebs.

Some MMA fans are proper mental, with their resentment of McGregor and his rise to where he is now. I can understand not liking somebody and wishing they would lose ("Jon Jones get your shit together", indeed), but to dismiss their achievements and winning is ludicrous. It's also why McGregor has to win, as it will hopefully lead to some Lesnar-style moaning from the dweebs.

Typical hipster mentality.

However, as David said, these fans have been discussed (and belittled) to death in this thread. We can just be thankful that these sort of fans don't post on this forum. 

• Paid Members

Well, if David is tired of it!

Part of the reason it's been dragged up again (despite David, again, being over it) is because during the rise of McGregor there have been those who are moaning about UFC handing him easy opponents etc. It's all part of the McGregor story, so it's worth discussing just as our Conor is a few weeks away from the biggest fight in his divisions history, as he looks to show he's Don Featherweight.

However, as David said, these fans have been discussed (and belittled) to death in this thread. We can just be thankful that these sort of fans don't post on this forum. 

It is an opportunity for us to point at them and laugh in a superior fashion I guess, which is a situation that doesn't often happen for folk who spend a portion of their spare time on the internet discussing men in pants pretending to hit each other.

Part of the reason it's been dragged up again (despite David, again, being over it) is because during the rise of McGregor there have been those who are moaning about UFC handing him easy opponents etc. It's all part of the McGregor story, so it's worth discussing just as our Conor is a few weeks away from the biggest fight in his divisions history, as he looks to show he's Don Featherweight.

I have to concede, those sort of fans don't really annoy me. Not because I agree with them, but rather because I am not exposed to them. Other than occasional visits to Sherdog and this forum, I don't follow MMA online. Even when I go on Sherdog, I avoid the forum (for obvious reasons)

So to me, they are not really part of the "McGregor story". But I understand why they would be to others (like yourself)

• Paid Members

Fair enough, Jim. See it's not only fans saying such things, which is why I think it'll be cool to see McGregor show his worth at the highest level. Fighters, like Cub Swanson, have said in the past he's faced handpicked opponents etc.

Top man, Supremo.

I have to concede, those sort of fans don't really annoy me. Not because I agree with them, but rather because I am not exposed to them. Other than occasional visits to Sherdog and this forum, I don't follow MMA online. Even when I go on Sherdog, I avoid the forum (for obvious reasons)

So to me, they are not really part of the "McGregor story". But I understand why they would be to others (like yourself)

Yeah, it's pretty much the same for me. This forum is the only place where I actually discuss MMA, with the likes of Sherdog.com (not sherdog.net) and MMA Junkie etc being purely to read news stories. 

Did anyone catch Aldo's press conference the other day? When he was asked how he'll deal with McGregor acting the cunt in the days leading up to the fight, at the weigh-in and suchlike as they'll be facing off two or three times, he replied by saying ;

the threat of fines and calling off the fight during the world tour was an issue because I couldn't do what I wanted. But now the fight is coming, and we can do anything.

If he does anything, i know what I will do. You can be sure it'll be completely different. What I can promise is a completely different Jose Aldo at the staredowns than you've ever seen, because there will be no suspensions or fines now, nothing.

After all of this promotion and money spent they won't cancel the fight. They won't cancel it no matter what I do.

The last part in bold is what interested me. I wonder what he means by that? You have to think that if he head butts him or something there's a chance he will get fined, no? 

Then again, is this just Aldo doing his bit to build up the fight? 

Archived