UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yet another brilliant Aldo vs McGregor promo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=HRG2osg6gGI

I've never known a fight with so many amazing hype videos. The official ones and the fan made ones have all been incredible. They've got so much footage and soundbites to work with I suppose they can't miss. This one legitimately gave me goosebumps. And the horn.

And just think, we've still got the Countdown, the fight week press conference, the open workouts, the scrums, Embedded and the weigh ins to come yet.

It's going to be a long three weeks.

• Paid Members

A million? Fuck me. It was good but a million? Jaysus.

I missed this at the time, it's from around the time of the big 189 media tour. You've probably all seen it but I'll post it incase anyone hasn't.

Aldo and McGregor head to head on UFC Tonight;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=ggP1YTxrd6M

And with added Dana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=YgiycFNr7aA

Just look at Dana's big pink face in that video. He can't believe his luck, can he? This fight is a promoter's wet dream. Very rarely does a fight come along where both the promotion and the fight itself is almost guaranteed to deliver the goods. Usually fights don't have both but I really don't see how this one will fall flat on the night. Their styles are perfect for each other. I have a really strong feeling it's either going to be a KO either way or it'll be like Balboa vs Drago on ecstasy.

Usually when these big hyped up fights don't deliver it's because there's been so much shit talked that one or neither guy wants to take chances in there and risk losing (Rashad vs Rampage, for example). But in this case, McGregor seems to truly have this psychotic belief that he's going to walk through Aldo. It reminds me a bit of the self belief Chael Sonnen had going into the first Anderson Silva fight. And that was a classic. When one guy is convinced without doubt that he's going to smash the other guy, and he's motivated by the titles and money as well, and especially when he's on a high like McGregor is now where he feels almost bulletproof - coupled with the proud champion who feels insulted, disrespected and badly wanting to hang onto his title - it's the recipe for something insane. McGregor isn't going to play it safe like Rashad did against Rampage because he doesn't think he needs to. He seems to think he's going to walk in there and crush Aldo. Could very well be biting off more than he can chew or maybe he rises to the occasion. But either way it's going to make for a tremendous fight.

Dana said the other day that the PPV is tracking at over a million buys already (consider Silva/Sonnen 2 only managed 925,000), it would be incredible if somehow it topped UFC 100's 1.6m buys.

Imagine the business this fight would've done back in the peak days of 2006-2009!

This is easily the most I've ever looked forward to a fight, even surpassing Lesnar/Mir 2 or Silva/Sonnen 2. These hype videos are doing their job and then some. Please nothing fuck this up!

• Paid Members

I know, Wand - amazing isn't it? No matter what the hype - really, who the fuck knows what's gonna happen? And that's the whole intrigue. Biggest sporting event of all time for me. I follow no other sports, and this is the first time an Irishman is going for UFC gold - and what a guy to get behind too! Glad I didn't just get lumped with some jabroni and had to be up for him just because he was Irish. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I've got to say, I think it's surpassed Lesnar vs Mir 2 for me as well now. To be clear, I'm not saying it'll break the record (although it would be great if it did), just that my personal anticipation for this is through the fucking roof. I can only compare it to how I felt in the build-up to UFC 100 but even that wasn't quite like this for me.

There's been huge fights I've been counting the days for over the years. Jones vs Cormier, Weidman vs Silva 2, Silva vs Sonnen 1 and 2, St Pierre vs Penn 2, Liddell vs Wanderlei. I was like a kid waiting for Christmas for all of them. But only UFC 100 comes close to Aldo vs McGregor for me. And I'm more invested in this because it's more than just a 'I want to see Brock batter Mir's smug face in'. This is one of my favourite fighters going for the title against a legend and future HOFer in his toughest test yet. And on top of the Lesnar vs Mir/Silva vs Sonnen type build-up, I'm also as hyped for the actual fight as I was for Shogun vs Hendo 1. It's got everything, this fight. On paper anyway. I'd be shocked, actually shocked, if this fight feels like a letdown. The only way I see an anti-climatic feeling coming from this would be if it's a really quick KO.

I am convinced the fight will deliver inside the cage.

Aldo doesn't really have boring fights. His fight with Zombie and the rematch with Mendes were very easy on the eye (as was his stunning knockout victory in the first Mendes fight). While not classics, his fights with Lamas and Edgar were reasonable to view. The only dull fight I recall Aldo having, was with Florian, and that was more due to how Florian fought rather than Aldo.

Since making his UFC debut, McGregor has been fun to watch in every fight. 4 out of 5 fights have ended with early. finishes.  His fight with Holloway was far from dull, it was full of action. I want McGregor to win, but I am predicting Aldo to win on points. But I expect the action to be captivating for all 5 rounds. 

Having decided a while back that I wasn't going to get ahead of myself and watch the build up material too early in case the fight got cancelled I finally watched the world tour stuff.

Aldo and his coaches mention at least three times how thin McGregor's legs are, and how he relies on that stance he uses to launch his attacks. I'm convinced they're going in there with the intention of legkicking him to pieces and then submitting him late on when McGregor isn't able to move as well.

For fucks sake! Everyone could see this coming from a mile away, Pederneiras has a lot to answer to with his prehistoric training methods. Happens every fucking time.

The reporter who broke the story is meant to be very credible too, so looks legit.

I don't know who will be more pissed; McGregor or Dana.

Archived