UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He did indeed...

xEBz.jpg

7y1GY.jpg

Old pals.

Whether he actually turns up, who knows? I hope he does. And if he does, I hope McGregor gets him a cornerman license. Why not? Anderson had Steven Seagal. It won't happen but if McGregor did have Arnie as a cornerman, that's it, he's winning. How can you lose when you've got the fucking Terminator in your corner?

• Paid Members

McGregor must be flying so high right now. He's got the world at his feet, he's challenging for the World title, he's got the UFC backing him with everything they've got, he's buddies with people he grew up watching on TV and in the cinema, he's got almost all his country's populace rooting for him and effectively calling him a national symbol, and he's raking in the cash. Even if he loses to Aldo, I can't think it would dent his life all that much.

McGregor must be flying so high right now. He's got the world at his feet, he's challenging for the World title, he's got the UFC backing him with everything they've got, he's buddies with people he grew up watching on TV and in the cinema, he's got almost all his country's populace rooting for him and effectively calling him a national symbol, and he's raking in the cash. Even if he loses to Aldo, I can't think it would dent his life all that much.

As far as his progress from that point forward it would depend on how he lost. If he went out on a decision after being leg kicked to smithereens like Faber was he'd likely not lose too much momentum. If he got schooled like Barao did against Dillashaw then he may not be looked at the same again. 

• Paid Members

As far as his progress from that point forward it would depend on how he lost. If he went out on a decision after being leg kicked to smithereens like Faber was he'd likely not lose too much momentum. If he got schooled like Barao did against Dillashaw then he may not be looked at the same again. 

Very true. But with all the buzz going on right now, I can't imagine it'd be long before he'd talk himself back into the public consciousness. He'd probably have some narrative about how he'd gone back to the gym and improved even more, and he'd be convincing with it.

Academic, though - I think if he does lose against Aldo, it's not going to be by a wide margin.

• Paid Members

Yeah if you're liking an Aldo win, the smart money is a decision victory. He doesn't finish much these days anyway and McGregor is hard to catch clean, as you say.

You could be onto something with the possible Aldo by submission shout though. McGregor has clearly improved a lot in all areas since his losses. They were early in his career and he's been training with Gunnar Nelson consistently, among other grapplers, for years now. He's obsessed with training and is a student of the game. He hasn't shown much in the way of grappling in the UFC yet but there's been little flashes. Max Holloway could do nothing to him from the guard, and Holloway has a really good ground game. Brandao tried a takedown and McGregor reversed it into a beautiful lateral drop type thingy as well. These techniques probably won't be a factor against Aldo though as I doubt McGregor ends up on top of Aldo.

I can't see it going to the ground much full-stop. But if it does, despite McGregor's improvements, Aldo is surely the superior grappler. He's fought and won at black-belt level in straight grappling. He's a BJJ black-belt himself. He comes from a camp that's got a long history of BJJ. BJ Penn even represented Nova Uniao back when he won the BJJ Worlds. Aldo's sole MMA loss was by submission but that was ten years ago and his ground game has looked almost impenetrable since he hit his prime. Really good MMA grapplers like Urijah Faber and Kenny Florian could get fuck all done against Aldo, either because they couldn't hang on the ground with him and were put in bad positions or they couldn't get him down at all.

A submission is probably a longshot in this one because I think they'll both want to stand. But I could see a situation where Aldo's had success with the leg kicks and drops McGregor that way and winds up on top.

There's a few ways I could clearly see this fight playing out, with either guy winning. It's such a brilliant matchup of styles.

I've gone with Aldo by decision, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends it within the distance, but I do see him handing out a beating regardless and if the stoppage comes, great, if not it will be 5 rounds of pain. The leg kicks will prove to be the difference, I can't see the build up affecting Aldo in how he comes out to fight, he has enough people around him, has been in the sport for years to not get away from the game plan. Not too long to go now, looking forward to it, gonna be a fun night.

Yeah if you're liking an Aldo win, the smart money is a decision victory. He doesn't finish much these days anyway and McGregor is hard to catch clean, as you say.

You could be onto something with the possible Aldo by submission shout though. McGregor has clearly improved a lot in all areas since his losses. They were early in his career and he's been training with Gunnar Nelson consistently, among other grapplers, for years now. He's obsessed with training and is a student of the game. He hasn't shown much in the way of grappling in the UFC yet but there's been little flashes. Max Holloway could do nothing to him from the guard, and Holloway has a really good ground game. Brandao tried a takedown and McGregor reversed it into a beautiful lateral drop type thingy as well. These techniques probably won't be a factor against Aldo though as I doubt McGregor ends up on top of Aldo.

I can't see it going to the ground much full-stop. But if it does, despite McGregor's improvements, Aldo is surely the superior grappler. He's fought and won at black-belt level in straight grappling. He's a BJJ black-belt himself. He comes from a camp that's got a long history of BJJ. BJ Penn even represented Nova Uniao back when he won the BJJ Worlds. Aldo's sole MMA loss was by submission but that was ten years ago and his ground game has looked almost impenetrable since he hit his prime. Really good MMA grapplers like Urijah Faber and Kenny Florian could get fuck all done against Aldo, either because they couldn't hang on the ground with him and were put in bad positions or they couldn't get him down at all.

A submission is probably a longshot in this one because I think they'll both want to stand. But I could see a situation where Aldo's had success with the leg kicks and drops McGregor that way and winds up on top.

There's a few ways I could clearly see this fight playing out, with either guy winning. It's such a brilliant matchup of styles.

My thinking is that a submission would follow on from him clipping McGregor and stunning him momentarily. It's hard enough keeping a fucker like Aldo off you when you're on your game, if you're dazed for a few seconds, or even worse have taken a stumble or a knee due to a strike and he comes to the ground looking for you? Bad news for even the best grapplers on the planet, never mind someone playing catch up like McGregor.

The way I see it playing out is McGregor having a window of maybe two rounds to win the fight, he'll still be fresh and sharp and there's a good chance that any leg kicks won't have had a major effect. Three rounds and onwards though I'd be surprised if Aldo lost short of McGregor clipping him.

I probably see it being a 70%-30% type of deal. Connor early on if he can catch Aldo cold, or if Aldo comes out all crazy after months of wind ups. I think Aldo has more ways to win though, as he could easily catch McGregor early, catch him all hyped up for his first title fight. Anyone who thinks that McGregor is coming into this fight cool as a cucumber is kidding themselves on. He'll be wound up tight.

Where Aldo has more chances to win is late on with his leg kicks, and with a submission.

It'll be a great fight though, that's for sure.

• Paid Members

14-11 McGregor in the poll at the moment.

It seems like ages since everyone was this split on a big fight. Even with Jones vs Cormier, a lot of people were divided but as the fight drew closer there seemed to be more and more people settling on Jones retaining. I don't think this'll be like that though. It genuinely feels like one of those fights where almost anything could happen and everyone will be split right up to fight night. It's great. The last fight I remember with that kind of build-up was probably Weidman vs Silva 2.

How does everyone see Lawler vs Rory 2 going?

I was at a wedding tonight, two old friends I've known for about 15 years got married. It was lovely, I saw so many old workmates who I haven't seen since I left Coventry for Manchester. Obviously there were people there that I'd never met. You know in The Office when Brent comes in wearing a Sergio Georgini jacket and shit shoes in an attempt to look like Neil in his Armarni jacket?

Well, there was this guy there with a shit beard, a fucking twatty bow tie, pathetic shoes, a downmarket blazer and what I assume was meant to be a top knot, it was about the size of the cock of the last kid in your class to get pubes.

I hope McGregor gets smashed, embarrassingly so just so pisspipes like this guy all across the land, and other lands, are heartbroken.

I was at a wedding tonight, two old friends I've known for about 15 years got married. It was lovely, I saw so many old workmates who I haven't seen since I left Coventry for Manchester. Obviously there were people there that I'd never met. You know in The Office when Brent comes in wearing a Sergio Georgini jacket and shit shoes in an attempt to look like Neil in his Armarni jacket?

Well, there was this guy there with a shit beard, a fucking twatty bow tie, pathetic shoes, a downmarket blazer and what I assume was meant to be a top knot, it was about the size of the cock of the last kid in your class to get pubes.

I hope McGregor gets smashed, embarrassingly so just so pisspipes like this guy all across the land, and other lands, are heartbroken.

:laugh:

• Paid Members

Haha that's one drawback of McGregor getting popular. Twats wearing fucking topknots and growing out their bumfluff beards trying to be him and looking like a real wally in the process. The topknot looks shite on everyone, including McGregor. If I see a bloke with a topknot I automatically think less of them straight away. Rancid look.

Archived