UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah it seems idiotic to me to do McGregor vs Edgar in such short notice. Just move this fight back two months or so instead of losing the biggest fight the company has in them.

Obviously it'd be shit for the Irish (and Brazillian) fans already travelling but despite losing the fight that matters most, it's not like this is a one fight card anyway - Lawler/MacDonald is a fucking solid headliner for any PPV.

Why lose a 1 million+ buyrate to do an unnecessary fight on an already cracking card, it's not exactly UFC 151 without the headliner is it?

Completely agree. Lawler/MacDonald is a cracking main event any other day of the week. Moving the fight back & tweaking the card at the bottom  wouldn't be short changing the fans in any way whatsoever.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it seems idiotic to me to do McGregor vs Edgar in such short notice. Just move this fight back two months or so instead of losing the biggest fight the company has in them.

Obviously it'd be shit for the Irish (and Brazillian) fans already travelling but despite losing the fight that matters most, it's not like this is a one fight card anyway - Lawler/MacDonald is a fucking solid headliner for any PPV.

Why lose a 1 million+ buyrate to do an unnecessary fight on an already cracking card, it's not exactly UFC 151 without the headliner is it?

Completely agree. Lawler/MacDonald is a cracking main event any other day of the week. Moving the fight back & tweaking the card at the bottom  wouldn't be short changing the fans in any way whatsoever.

Not sure I agree. The moment the UFC embarked on that ridiculous world tour promoting this event I feel they are almost obliged to deliver at least one of the fighters at the July 11 event if they can. Try telling some Irish plumber who spunked all his savings on a ticket to Vegas that Lawler v McDonald is a cracking main event. He's probably never heard of them.

Whereas a fight with Frankie Edgar might not fit in with most people's fantasy booking, it will give Conor the opportunity to answer two of the biggest question marks against him - is he the true number one contender and can he handle a wrestler? When he wins they could maybe do the Aldo fight on the big December PPV.

• Paid Members

Following on from the above, if Aldo isn't clear to fight till October, I can't see Mcgregor sitting out that length of time. That said, whether it's his choice or not is another matter.

Interestingly, Mcgregor sent this message out on twitter...

Looks like he wants to fight regardless. 

• Paid Members

It's not that he wouldn't be cleared to fight, it's that he'd have to stop training now for 3-4 weeks and his coach says that would then require him to start a three month training camp over from scratch again. That's arguable.

I've been reading about this in the build up and am really looking forward to the fight. Aldo is a beast, his leg kick are amazing. This fight has been promoted better than any in recent years (even a certain boxing match). I'm hoping this is just a publicity thing to make it even more interesting. This truly had the makings of a major sporting moment.

• Paid Members

What's this about then?

4chV9.jpg

I know full well I'm probably reading too much into it but I'm hoping against hope that it's good news on Aldo being cleared to fight. Probably just Dana tweeting happily on the way to Burger King though.

• Paid Members

Ah that'll probably be it. Ordinarily, great news. But balls to New York. I'd rather they fail getting in there for another five years if it meant we could just have this Aldo vs McGregor fight happen.

It's so shit. The two fights I was most looking forward to this year (after Jones vs Cormier happened) were Jones vs Rumble and Aldo vs McGregor. Now there's a very real and strong possibility that we don't get either fight for ages.

Fight is officially still on - http://m.uk.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-UFC-189

In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training. 

With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189. 

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete. 

UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas.

Archived