UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's a Dana White interview with Helwani up on MMA Fighting as well. Dana's also saying that "as of now", and he specified and emphasised "as of now", Jose Aldo is fighting Conor McGregor.

He also had a mini whinge about how Aldo's injury happened. He was blaming Aldo's training and saying that his sparring partner (Barao, wasn't it?) throwing a spinning back kick at him was stupid and why would they be throwing spinning back kicks at him etc. I get what he's saying but it's so easy for him to say that in hindsight and from the safety of his private jet or swanky offices or whatever. But obviously Barao (or whoever injured Aldo) was throwing spinning back kicks because it's one of Conor McGregor's big weapons. He throws at least one every fight. Why wouldn't Aldo's sparring partners be trying to mimic that? Just say Aldo was in the middle of the fight and McGregor landed a picture perfect spinning back kick to the body and stopped Aldo dead with it. Dana would be the first one to come out and criticise Aldo with the old 'Aldo should've been drilling fucking spinning back kick defence and training for that, McGregor always throws that kick' etc etc. The unfortunate fact is that fight training is brutal. People can say 'what's he doing? Why isn't he training smart?' all they like but we don't know he wasn't training smart. You can train smart as fuck and still get hurt. It's the nature of combat sports. Aldo's habit of getting injured does suggest that maybe his training methods need adjusting but it still won't be a total fix and eliminate injuries. Shit happens. Dana blaming Aldo or Barao or whoever is silly.

Another thing I picked up on was him seeming to basically try to pressure Aldo into fighting whether he's hurt or not. My guess is Aldo wants to fight on anyway, for the financial reasons we've all gone into at length and the fact that even if he loses he's likely getting an immediate rematch. But just say that Aldo is really struggling with this injury and genuinely doesn't feel like he can fight. Dana's there saying to Helwani - 'well Donald Cerrone just fought with the exact same injury. Dan Henderson did too.' Basically trivialising Aldo's injury and making it seem like he's a pussy if he pulls out. First of all, how does he know it's the 'exact same' injury? Bruised ribs aren't all going to have the same level of severity or pain involved. Just because Cerrone's a maniac who has almost a reckless attitude to staying active (and I mean that as a compliment), doesn't mean every fighter should be held to the same standards.

I get why McGregor's acting like Aldo's pulled out scared. It's all part of the mind games and he's trying to goad Aldo. But when the promoter starts talking like a fighters injury is no big deal it doesn't sit right.

I'm definitely not reading any other MMA site or comment section aside from here if Aldo does end up pulling out of this fight. The idiots will be out in force saying Aldo was 'scared all along'. It'll be unbearable.

• Paid Members

Lorenzo is, "very confident," the fight happens.

Anyone else think Lorenzo sounds like Tom Hanks as Woody from Toy Story?

There's a snake in ma boot!

• Paid Members

@ Wand: Yeah, Dana shouldn't be saying stuff like that - creates too much pressure. Maybe say it in private - but publicly is a bit out of line.

Shocked at the prices of that Reebok stuff - rip off. $90 for a fucking top. I'd expect a seriously nice shirt for that; not a poxy top to wear to the gym.

How much are football & NFL jerseys? Twats pay lots for those too though, don't they? So maybe that's the mentality behind the pricing. 

How much are football & NFL jerseys? Twats pay lots for those too though, don't they? So maybe that's the mentality behind the pricing. 

Someone made the point that an NBA jersey costs 70 dollars (around 45 quid), and the athlete actually wears it while competing. 

UFC are pushing the price barrier higher than other sports.

• Paid Members

Someone made the point that an NBA jersey costs 70 dollars (around 45 quid), and the athlete actually wears it while competing. 

UFC are pushing the price barrier higher than other sports.

Wow - fuck that. That's taking the piss. The McGregor one reminds me of The Spirit Squad for some reason - I don't think I'd wear any of those tops even if they were cheaper - I'd actually feel like a twat.

How much are football jerseys over here? Man U, Liverpool, etc?

Wow - fuck that. That's taking the piss. The McGregor one reminds me of The Spirit Squad for some reason - I don't think I'd wear any of those tops even if they were cheaper - I'd actually feel like a twat.

How much are football jerseys over here? Man U, Liverpool, etc?

After a quick google search, I would say between 40-50 quid.

Even though they do look dire, there is a chance these shirts will take off. Remember, Affliction shirts were all the rage in 2007/2008. I swear their prices were inflated.

• Paid Members

Affliction shirts were stupidly pricey...they were more casual type t-shirts though, these UFC things are more like sport team jerseys. I'm not quite sure how i feel about it all. I mean just seeing guys walk out wearing them is fair enough, i don't think it's that big a deal but if the hope is that they catch on and fans start wearing them like the UFC is a sports team, i just can't see it happening.

Archived