Wrestling's Biggest Drink & Drug Abusers

IronSheik

Re: Regal, I understand that his 2008 suspension was over steroid type supplements rather than recreational drugs. His physique certainly changed on his return. Sadder still, apparently it was something he didn't even realise was banned, Foley mentions it in his third book IIRC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Surely no one can beat Andre for drinking even if the stories are only half true.

Sounds about right :

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html

Apparently John Nord and Barry Darsow would go out to Lake Minnetonka in the freezing cold in dingys with a case of beer each. They weren't allowed to leave them until they'd drank their case.

It warms my heart to know that one of my most regular tag teams in my Hasbro fed were great mates in real life too.

It makes me laugh when people talk about 'gay wrestlers' and the usual jibes about men rolling around with each other come out when the party lifestyles that the old breed lived by are miles ahead of so-called party animals in the music industry. 

We've all heard the stories about Ozzy, Motley Crue etc. but seriously I think the Wrestling industry is way more fucked up with it's stories of excesses. I mean look at the stars who have passed  - how many and how young? You don't get that in any other industry. Plus you look at the big music stars - it's offset by them making millions, in the 80's in the territories these guys were making nothing.

I'm surprised no-one has written a book just based on the excesses of the wrestling industry.

A lot of wrestling drink and drug use was because they were hurting themselves doing a big fake gay job, wasn't it? Failed at football, had to turn to rolling around with other men in swimming trunks to make a living. That was why all old wrestlers were dickheads who battered recruits into "respecting the biz" and thinking of the fans as marks and wrestling as a big secret club, so they'd feel better about what they'd been reduced to. Kofi Kingston and The Miz are comfortable with wrestling being what it is, so they don't need to drug themselves into oblivion or break a spectator's thumbs just to get through another night.

A lot of wrestling drink and drug use was because they were hurting themselves doing a big fake gay job, wasn't it? Failed at football, had to turn to rolling around with other men in swimming trunks to make a living. That was why all old wrestlers were dickheads who battered recruits into "respecting the biz" and thinking of the fans as marks and wrestling as a big secret club, so they'd feel better about what they'd been reduced to. Kofi Kingston and The Miz are comfortable with wrestling being what it is, so they don't need to drug themselves into oblivion or break a spectator's thumbs just to get through another night.

A bit like Chefs who act the bully as they have a hang up about being seen as having a woman's job.

• Paid Members

It's more to do with the fact that it hurts and it's a night in, night out job rather than because it's gay. Not that there aren't a fuckload of guys who are psychologically damaged in wrestling but for the most part it's a combination of the working conditions and the environment being one big high school lockerroom. I'd imagine it's only what Grid Iron, Baseball and even Football would have been like in the 70's and 80's if they didn't at least have to have some semblance of professionalism.

A bit like Chefs who act the bully as they have a hang up about being seen as having a woman's job.

Lol. So true!

travelling & working 300 days a yeat

a predominantly male environment

working 300+ matches a year

a necessity to look huge

an inability to "call in sick"

the physical reaction to being a 260lb+ getting whacked by othet giants and the physical toll of it

injuries

lack of sleep

constant pain & discomfort

no wonder alot cracked and did what they had to. its actually more shocking that ten tomes more didnt sign out early! those guys added alot of mileage to their bodies in a short time period. at 40 they probably felt like 70!

• Moderators

Lol. So true!

It's also like women getting bossy in managerial positions because they can't handle the pressure of a man's job!

Was watching an episode of Raw from November 98 last week, and I've never seen Regal look worse. Hate to jump to conclusions, but he had every symptom of being out of his face in a match against Goldust - slurring his words on his promo, moving in slow motion, losing his balance all over the place and can barely run the ropes to take a fugly hip toss at one point. Not pretty.

Archived