Wrestling's Biggest Drink & Drug Abusers

IronSheik

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flair was notorious for bar tabs, and getting blitzed nightly. Some would argue his drunken (vodka fueled) behaviour got his pal JR the sack from WWE.

I've heard about this loads but never actually heard the full story, what's it got to do with JR?

Flair was notorious for bar tabs, and getting blitzed nightly. Some would argue his drunken (vodka fueled) behaviour got his pal JR the sack from WWE.

I've heard about this loads but never actually heard the full story, what's it got to do with JR?
Ric got hammered on vodka, and started getting a bit carried away. Vince felt JR should have intervened, rather than embarrass the Fed in front of a major sponsor / partner.

This is Why JR Jim Ross Got Fired From WWE:

Ric got hammered on vodka, and started getting a bit carried away. Vince felt JR should have intervened, rather than embarrass the Fed in front of a major sponsor / partner.

This is Why JR Jim Ross Got Fired From WWE:

Wasn't this a few days after reid died I don't blame ric for hitting the bar. 

travelling & working 300 days a yeat

a predominantly male environment

working 300+ matches a year

a necessity to look huge

an inability to "call in sick"

the physical reaction to being a 260lb+ getting whacked by othet giants and the physical toll of it

injuries

lack of sleep

constant pain & discomfort

no wonder alot cracked and did what they had to. its actually more shocking that ten tomes more didnt sign out early! those guys added alot of mileage to their bodies in a short time period. at 40 they probably felt like 70!

Here's the thing for me, professional sportsmen today probably have a worse deal than wrestlers in the 80's etc. Knowing a few lads that play professional rugby they'd probably kill for a schedule like that, but as Pictos says, it seems to be lads that didn't make the grade elsewhere trying to look as macho as fuck.

• Paid Members

a necessity to look huge

the physical reaction to being a 260lb+ getting whacked by othet giants and the physical toll of it

injuries

lack of sleep

no wonder alot cracked and did what they had to. its actually more shocking that ten tomes more didnt sign out early! those guys added alot of mileage to their bodies in a short time period. at 40 they probably felt like 70!

Here's the thing for me, professional sportsmen today probably have a worse deal than wrestlers in the 80's etc. Knowing a few lads that play professional rugby they'd probably kill for a schedule like that, but as Pictos says, it seems to be lads that didn't make the grade elsewhere trying to look as macho as fuck.

You taking the piss?

I feel a bit bad for JR there. Flair was pissed but he wasn't causing any major problems or even that much of a scene. I can see why it's not good in front of the sponsors though, but why get Flair to appear in the first place?

Because he was contractually obliged to 

• Paid Members

travelling & working 300 days a year

Here's the thing for me, professional sportsmen today probably have a worse deal than wrestlers in the 80's etc. Knowing a few lads that play professional rugby they'd probably kill for a schedule like that...

You taking the piss?

I can only assume that what he meant to say was that they'd probably be killed from a schedule like that. Because otherwise that's an absolutely fucking mental thing to say.

a necessity to look huge

injuries

lack of sleep

You taking the piss?

Not at all, granted the travelling is a lot less, but try training 3 times a day 4 times a week from July to May, then playing one game a week (at a minimum)  where you're subject to far more physical stresses than a 15 minute worked match. I'm not pissing on wrestling at all as I know its draining, but if I had the choice of the two schedules on the same pay I know which I'd chose.

• Paid Members

a necessity to look huge

injuries

lack of sleep

You taking the piss?

Not at all, granted the travelling is a lot less, but try training 3 times a day 4 times a week from July to May, then playing one game a week (at a minimum)  where you're subject to far more physical stresses than a 15 minute worked match. I'm not pissing on wrestling at all as I know its draining, but if I had the choice of the two schedules on the same pay I know which I'd chose.

I know they train hard, but there are a few significant things that make (full-time) professional wrestling much harder IMO.

1) The travel schedule - this is huge. Wrestlers are in an airport catching a flight nearly every day. It's gruelling. Rugby players don't do this - they travel to a match, but they train at home. They also don't have to sleep in hotels every night.

2) Landing on your back constantly & general toll on your body (namely back, knees, and neck) - this is way more significant in wrestling. I know rugby is high contact - but it's nowhere near the same toll on the body.

3) Trying to stay in shape (both finding a gym & food prep) while on the road, and the stress of being away from your family - again, Rugby players don't have this sort of stress to deal with. They train in their home ground & use their local gym. They have dieticians & tailored workout plans supplied to them. They also don't have the stress of politics (if you're good, you get your game) and the media commitments (yes, they have some - but nowhere near as much as someone in WWE).

Archived