The Relationship Thread

Ron&Hermione

...with kids, engagement etc. coming in the next year or two I'll have to sort myself out.

Kids and engagement don't come on a timescale.

seriously, I know this got addressed and don't wanna seem like Im dog-piling on but how can you have seemingly quite severe doubts about a relationship and then have the thought process of "well, it'll be kids up next". Fucking ridiculous. Please don't think like that, I don't think that a happy child's upbringing CAN'T be achieved with split-up parents or an untraditional family set-up, I just think it's a very cruel and careless thing to bring a baby into a not-so-stable relationship.. they'll likely end up resenting the shit out of you both, even if they can't admit it - it's a recipe for the therapist's chair is all I'm saying. None of that shit should be on your mind at all if you're still fluttering your eyelashes at your ex, no matter how serious you are about it. You don't lose at life if you don't reproduce y'know, that's not how it works.

post-proofread: I agree with everything I just said, but I sound like a twat cos it's too hot. Goin' for a stroll now..

Edited by sj5522

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this but:

What are people thoughts on "cheating" in relationships? As in, what causes people to do this, the effects and just in general.

Nothing to do with my current relationship, but I have been cheated on in the past. I bring this up as it has come out that a bloke at my work has been sleeping about with a women here, an the guy in question is newly married, has a baby, the whole nine yards. And all I can think is "Why would you do that?".

For me personally, being in a relationship (married or not), means you've said 'I want to be with this person only' and thus you should stop looking around. Does anybody else think the same or is it just me? 

• Paid Members

a bloke at my work has been sleeping about with a women here,

I think there's only Monkee and Kooks left, isn't there? The little minxes.

the guy in question is newly married, has a baby, the whole nine yards. And all I can think is "Why would you do that?".

He's probably having a crisis of confidence by the change in his circumstances, and wants to reassure himself that his current situation isn't the only option available to him. How old is he?

Does anybody else think the same or is it Just Me?

I dunno, Just Me was a strange guy.

Spelling and grammatical errors aside, he's in his early 30's, but it doesn't seem to be like a personal crisis or anything.

He's a bit of a "lad" personality wise, but it just seems like a huge "gimmick" rather than him really being like that. It turns out he's cheated on his now wife before, and she found out about it. Ultimately he had to beg for her forgiveness and so on, but he's back his old ways apparently.  

Its just very odd, as several of us here are in a similar situation to him , in terms of home life, and wouldn't dream of doing anything like this.

Personality is the driving force behind stuff like this.  I tend to find you can break people down in to two categories with cheating on a partner if they're in the 25+ age bracket.  Group A will do it and Group B won't.  Some in Group A will do it easier and with less mitigation than others but ultimately I think some people have it in them to do it and some people would never do it, no matter what.

Personality is the driving force behind stuff like this. I tend to find you can break people down in to two categories with cheating on a partner if they're in the 25+ age bracket. Group A will do it and Group B won't. Some in Group A will do it easier and with less mitigation than others but ultimately I think some people have it in them to do it and some people would never do it, no matter what.

So you're deduction is some people will do it and some people won't? I hope you never got a research grant to figure that out.

Ego is the most common driving force in cheating, ego and insecurity. I don't think it's all that complex, some people value sexual gratification and the esteem boost more than they do other people's feelings.

A mate of mind had convinced himself that cheating was the most natural thing in the world and backed it up by saying men can have 100's of children whilst women can't.

A mate of mind had convinced himself that cheating was the most natural thing in the world and backed it up by saying men can have 100's of children whilst women can't.

That sort of mind set gets me every time. I cant recall who, but some celeb got busted for cheating on their partner and they then explained it as "We're animals, its in our nature to sleep with whoever we find attractive". And whilst I have understand that, we're also smart enough to say "I really like this other person, maybe I shouldn't stay with the one I'm with?" rather than just hoping for the best and not considering other peoples feelings.

Personality is the driving force behind stuff like this. I tend to find you can break people down in to two categories with cheating on a partner if they're in the 25+ age bracket. Group A will do it and Group B won't. Some in Group A will do it easier and with less mitigation than others but ultimately I think some people have it in them to do it and some people would never do it, no matter what.

So you're deduction is some people will do it and some people won't? I hope you never got a research grant to figure that out.

Ego is the most common driving force in cheating, ego and insecurity. I don't think it's all that complex, some people value sexual gratification and the esteem boost more than they do other people's feelings.

My post might have simplified it too much but yeah, I believe people are either predisposed to cheating or they're not  Maybe mitigation and stuff does come in to it on some level but I'm not entirely sure that's not just people like your friend making up any old excuse to justify their behaviour.

Edited by MungoChutney