The Walking Dead Thread * US-Pace Spoilers*

FLips

• Moderators

I enjoy The Walking Dead, as the trashy B-Movie style horror show it is. I know a lot of people that like it way more than I do. I've never heard anyone refer to it as the 'worst show on television'. That feels like a stretch.

But, as for 'consistently terrible reactions', is that even true!?

The forums and sites I go on, at least. Outside the bubble of its own back-patting fandom, it gets picked apart pretty deservedly for its tediousness and consistently botched storylines. Last year's finale, and the episode where Glenn definitely died went down a treat, didn't they?

Like I said, it's an inexplicable Boyzone thing that utterly baffles me, popular in that mass appeal way that your CSI types are, but I guess because it's got zombies in it, it appeals to the NERD CULTURE thing too, with that tiny, weeny little subculture of nerdy nerds who like things like Star Wars, which is some space thing only nerds have heard of. "I'm such a nerd! I like the biggest franchise of all time!" That's not me being a hipster, because GoT falls in the same genre area, and that's fucking great.

I'm sure there are worse in terms of the buckets of shit you get on TV, but among things that are competently made, with big budgets and good actors, and the resources they have, it's just atrocious. I feel like shaking anyone who can't see this. SHAKING THEM. I know everything's subjective, but come on.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I enjoy The Walking Dead, as the trashy B-Movie style horror show it is. I know a lot of people that like it way more than I do. I've never heard anyone refer to it as the 'worst show on television'. That feels like a stretch.

But, as for 'consistently terrible reactions', is that even true!?

The forums and sites I go on, at least. Outside the bubble of its own back-patting fandom, it gets picked apart pretty deservedly for its tediousness and consistently botched storylines. Last year's finale, and the episode where Glenn definitely died went down a treat, didn't they?

Like I said, it's an inexplicable Boyzone thing that utterly baffles me, popular in that mass appeal way that your CSI types are, but I guess because it's got zombies in it, it appeals to the NERD CULTURE thing too, with that tiny, weeny little subculture of nerdy nerds who like things like Star Wars, which is some space thing only nerds have heard of. "I'm such a nerd! I like the biggest franchise of all time!" That's not me being a hipster, because GoT falls in the same genre area, and that's fucking great.

I'm sure there are worse in terms of the buckets of shit you get on TV, but among things that are competently made, with big budgets and good actors, and the resources they have, it's just atrocious. I feel like shaking anyone who can't see this. SHAKING THEM. I know everything's subjective, but come on.

Have you ever watched The Strain? You'd love it. I've stuck with it so long that I feel like it's Stockhausen Syndrome at this point.

• Moderators

I slogged my way through the first season, and told myself I'd stick with it, but after the first episode of S2, I was done. Those modern sort-of-vampire vampires don't do it for me, outside of Blade 2, which was ace. I want fangs and widow's peaks and hissing at crucifixes, not baldies with long snake tongues.

• Paid Members

It improved pacing-wise in season three (although the last episode was pants), but I feel like I no longer owe Del Toro for past excellence, having watched so much of this, and wasted a inflight movie on Crimson Peak, a film so pointless that I keep having to remind myself that was one of the six I watched on my last two flights.

• Paid Members

Walking Dead has fantastic action/horror scenes and sequences which keep me watching. Character/plotting wise though it is and always has been a complete fucking mess.

But the high quality zombie gore just keeps dragging me back.

Noticed that according to the Sky guide, Fox have the new episode being shown at 2.30am on Monday morning, which I am guessing overlaps with the US showing however any website I've checked says that its being shown the next night at 9pm as normal (which is also there as a repeat). Does anyone know if this is right or not, or even if it is just the first episode being shown near enough simultaneously?

• Paid Members

That was so intense! I thought Andrew Lincoln's acting was outstanding too. I can't do spoiler tags on my phone so I don't know how much I can/should say. It was a lot more graphic than I expected but I didn't see a 'happening' happening. I've avoided all spoilers so that came out of the blue for ep1.

• Paid Members

It was absolutely harrowing when

Glenn took the first smack from Lucille and sat there with his eye hanging out trying to talk to Maggie. I was fucking devastated, and I'm not even that much of a Glenn fan. On the plus side, this will kick Maggies character on leaps and bounds for when she becomes a leader at Alexandria.

Andrew Lincoln was incredible last night. Emoted more through his eyes alone in five minutes than most actors can hope to do in a lifetime, and my pots were gone with the whole

will he/won't he cut Carls arm off gig

Sour taste in my mouth, but job well done.

Apparently Jeffrey Dean Morgan isn't hanging about for more than two seasons according to that Spoiling Dead mob and they seem to be on the snout 90% of the time, so I'm reckoning you know who will get revenge on Negan sooner rather than slow burn it to the point where nobody cares anymore...

Archived