The Walking Dead Thread * US-Pace Spoilers*

FLips

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I find it very difficult to argue with any of Astro's points to be honest, I think he's pretty much on the money in terms of his criticism of the quality of the stories being told and the constant disappointing payoffs. Having said that, I still watch every episode and look forward to doing so. I guess I'm intrigued by it as much as anything else, plus I have a very high tolerance level for crap TV writing. I've watched 99% of the episodes of Monday Night Raw for near enough the past 17 years after all. That shit will condition your brain into going into low-power mode when staring at the box and the majority of the time I'm pretty happy for that to happen for an hour or so to unwind at the end of the day. TWD is half-decent entertaining nonsense, a modern TV take on a B-movie theme. Enjoy it for what it is, don't try to make it out to be anything bigger or better than that.

It was a heavy going episode this week, which seems to have divided opinion. I've read some saying it was the best episode they've ever done, while others are saying it was just too much. I'm leaned towards the latter, although it did serve its purpose in getting people talking about it and also in establishing Negan as a right bastard of a heel.

• Paid Members

I don't understand why someone would continue to watch something they think is terrible. I've got series yet to watch that are meant to be great that I've not had time to watch yet, I'm not wasting my spare time enduring something I dislike for the sole purpose of bitching about it? What's the point?

I would like to agree, but i still watch RAW,

Back on topic, That was fucking horrific, i dont know if i enjoyed it or not....it was just brutal in every sense 

His name was Tyreese, or discount Idris Elba as he's known in our house (The Governor was discount Liam Neeson)

Lenny James is totally the discount Forrest Whittaker.

TWD is good sometimes, shit and pointless a lot of the time. There's more shit characters than good ones and it's definitely the Raw of the tv drama world for me.

Perhaps if it hadn't been sold for weeks as SOMEONE'S GOING TO DIE IN THE SHOCKING SEASON FINALE OF THE WALKING DEAD! And then... nobody died. That's not a cliffhanger, it's outright selling a lie, which deflates the narrative tension. Carny shit. If we're comparing Lost, think of how frustrating it was when we didn't find out what was in the hatch at the close of S1, but if they'd also been telling the audience for ages that we were definitely going to see what was down there.

As the last shot was of Negan swinging his bat and connecting with someone's head and the last thing we heard was Negan continuing to whack said person with his bat, it could be argued that we were not misinformed. Someone did die, we just weren't shown who it was. 

• Paid Members

But that's what got people pants in a twist. They teased that someone was going to die, and then made everyone wait another six months to find out who.

I truly never got why this caused people to get pissed off. It's a TV show for fucks sake, and cliffhangers are common on season finales. Yes they made people wait, but in the end finding out at the end of the season or 6 months later is really irrelevant. They still found out who snuffed it at the end of the day.

But that's what got people pants in a twist. They teased that someone was going to die, and then made everyone wait another six months to find out who.

I truly never got why this caused people to get pissed off. It's a TV show for fucks sake, and cliffhangers are common on season finales. Yes they made people wait, but in the end finding out at the end of the season or 6 months later is really irrelevant. They still found out who snuffed at the end of the day.

I agree, and it didn't bother me because as you say that's how cliffhangers work. Andrew Lincoln defended it on Twitter a few days later along similar lines basically saying "you do understand how TV works, don't you?".

People haven't got the patience for anything anymore, everything has to have the instant payoff. Just look at when someone debuts in WWE, the next morning you can go online and it's been decided how they're going to win the big one within 3 months and then have no idea what to do with them afterwards.

Archived