Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

I'd say that a campaign that succeeded in removing something that endorses, whether he likes it or not, Harrassment is newsworthy. Plus, Newsnight have a lot of airtime to fill, they've certainly had filler on there that many would consider a waste of time.

I would agree with Keith despite my criticisms earlier. Dapper dressed in his black turtleneck, grovelling as the lass from Newsnight tore him to shreds was the best possible outcome and one I didn't not expect for one minute. It was pure The Day Today. Hopefully he takes down his Twitter and all the shit on it and we never hear from him again. 

• Paid Members

By harrassment I'm assuming you mean him filming people for his vines that aren't aware of what they're taking part in? Something a bit like Trigger Happy TV or Phone/Facejacker?  Granted, maybe the style of humour isn't as blue "laddish".

I'm not supporting his idea of comedy but there's obviously a market for and he's got a bit of fame and money out of it, just like every other try-hard vine comedian wants to. Whether we like it or not there is a significant lad culture in this country and that's what they find funny, Dapper Laugh is gone but they'll still tune in, in their millions, to hear Keith Lemon offer to spunk on Fearne Cotton's tits. I find that repulsive and shit so I don't watch it.

• Paid Members

I think the big difference here is that Keith Lemon is a character that has had exposure on other shows before he got Celebrity Juice, and he's in an environment where the other panelists (particularly Fearne and Holly) are in on the joke too. He also, though often grotesque, never comes across as anything more than a cheeky character.
Dapper Laughs was a bloke doing much worse with much less self awareness and nobody was in on the joke with him. Then he shit his pants and pretended it was a character when he got bollocked for it.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

Have you read everything about this stumobir? The 'gagging for a rape' comments, encouraging his fans to troll somebody that criticised him (which they did in the most disgusting way), the example he leads and impression/influence he has on his fans etc? There's a big difference between shit comedy like Lemon (whom I cannot stand anyway) and this disgraceful individual.

Edited by PunkStep

By harrassment I'm assuming you mean him filming people for his vines that aren't aware of what they're taking part in?

No, I mean the countless people in bars or streets who are harrassed by people who see the likes of Dapper Laughs as vindication and normalising their behaviour, or using his lines on people who want nothing to do with them, then get called a bitch, or frigid if they tell them to fuck off.

I think the big difference here is that Keith Lemon is a character that has had exposure on other shows before he got Celebrity Juice, and he's in an environment where the other panelists (particularly Fearne and Holly) are in on the joke too. He also, though often grotesque, never comes across as anything more than a cheeky character.

Dapper Laughs was a bloke doing much worse with much less self awareness and nobody was in on the joke with him. Then he shit his pants and pretended it was a character when he got bollocked for it.

This isn't in defence of the influence he had argument, but in a lot of his vines the people he is "harrasing" are in on it. I went to the launch of the show and met classic characters such as "can i smell your fanny" girl, and  "boy with a girls haircut" man. It's usually his friends or fans. I was there when he recorded one of his Vines and it took him about 4 hours with 100 takes, he was actually working off a story board. I don't think it was a moral dilema that stopped him using oblivious memebers of the public, just the issue that he wouldn't look right or the reaction he got wouldn't have been what he wanted.

In terms of influence, a lot of scrum bags supporting Dapper have been threatening to smash girls back dorrs in and referring to women as clunge. Keith Lemon has a huge influence of idiots.

• Paid Members

The "gagging for a rape" comment is inexcusable but that's not the sole reason this guy is being chastised, it's because people have found him offensive and unfunny. He got famous because people found him relatable and funny, so the campaign shouldn't have been to get him of the tele it should have been to change a demographic's sense of humour.  You say that he has influence or forms an impression on his fans but surely the only type of person who enjoys that kind of comedy already has the capacity to be a misogynistic twat anyway, hence they became a fan.  In a similar vain, we find Grado funny because we're wrestling fans, we're not wrestling fans because we find Grado funny.

I don't see that their is a massive difference between Keith Lemon and Dapper Laughs and the fact that Fearne Cotton and Holly Whatever are in the joke just makes it worse, like women are actually endorsing that it's acceptable to speak to them in that manner and that they'll actually laugh at it. Keith Lemon has a far wider reach than Dapper Laughs and his sexist slurs have been polluting the airwaves for years, I actually hadn't even heard of Dapper Laughs until this thread popped up a few weeks ago.

I completely agree Houchen that it's shit that people are hounded by little shits with their iPhones trying to get a reaction but Dapper Laughs wasn't the first nor will he be the last to do it, I can't remember his name but that little French guy with the smile has been doing it for years and everyone seems to love him.

As many have said here the rape joke was probably a bit too far. But then again it was for a live tour, not a national television program, there likely would have been an age rating on who could attend and the people that had bought tickets where the people that enjoy his kinda of humour anyway. The other thing is and it's no exscuse but could he have thought people where not going to be able to film his live stuff due to security and stuff being in the gig. They always make a big deal out of people recording being thrown out and such. Again no exscuse but as people have said if he's not the brightest he may not have thought much further.

The actual TV program wasn't that bad at all in terms of how far he went, I'd be more concerned about the people that actually think he's trying to educate men on how to pull with his vine videos, surely there the issue. You've got to be pretty stupid to not see its a character imo. Another note is any of it (excusing the rape joke) any worse than Geordie Shore or The Valley's? That got complaints but no where near what Dapper has and there's stuff is on TV for anyone to stumble across.

By harrassment I'm assuming you mean him filming people for his vines that aren't aware of what they're taking part in?

No, I mean the countless people in bars or streets who are harrassed by people who see the likes of Dapper Laughs as vindication and normalising their behaviour, or using his lines on people who want nothing to do with them, then get called a bitch, or frigid if they tell them to fuck off.

Could you not apply that to anybody on any sort of media though? Does GTA normalise killing prostitutes?

There are parody stories going around on Facebook, "comedian to retire controversial 'Katie Hopkins' character."

I was there when he recorded one of his Vines and it took him about 4 hours with 100 takes, he was actually working off a story board.

That is brilliant. 

I think the main difference between Dapper Laughs and Lemon and acts like that is that they are obviously fake characters who nobody would aspire to be like but Dapper really doesn't pull that off, especially when you take in to consideration the intellectual level of his demographic. It's a poor attempt at satire where most of his audience probably don't know what a satire is.

Could you not apply that to anybody on any sort of media though? Does GTA normalise killing prostitutes?
It might do to those who kill prostitutes.

The issue people had was with ITV giving a platform to this misogyny. Nobody, or at least not with any weight behind it, campaigned to have his Vine account deleted, ITV were the issue.

Your GTA analogy would be akin to Peter Sutcliffe being given a DIY show on ITV2 where he advises which hammer is best for a job.