Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

First thing I thought when I saw about him pulling his tour etc was 'he's bottled it' but after watching the interview I think Richard Herring's summation was pretty much spot on. A glorified open spot who got thrust into massive headliner shows way before he was ready & able. Doing what he was doing he must've expected at least an element of this? The fact he's pulled his tour makes me think that meybe he actually does want to be a legit comic? Then again, it's easy to see the error of your ways & apologise after you've bought yourself a house.

On the flip side, any time a new reporter or journalist takes jokes & reads them out as if they're serious statements is equally as hackneyed & lazy as Dapper Laugh's comedy.

• Moderators

Emily Maitlis don't half give me the facking 'orn when she swears.

I know exactly what you mean. It's like when Nina Hossein would look at me through the lens like I was scum, resulting in me getting some blood in it.

He's clearly not very bright, so I kind of believe him when he says he just didn't think about the implications of what he was doing.

There's a massive chunk of blame to be laid at the feet of whatever ITV execs green lit the whole thing.  You can understand why a young chap like him, having shitload of cash thrown at him for just acting like a cunt, would go for it.  Whoever decided to pay him to act like a twat, needs hauling over red hot coals.  They're meant at least to have some measure of responsibility.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not too bothered about the supposed comedy of the character, I don't find it funny in the slightest and if it stayed on the internet it would have disappeared at some point as these so called internet stars tend to do.

But someone at ITV is responsible for paying to bring this thing to a TV audience. Surely they are as much to blame for the controversial fallout for putting it on the air

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators

Aside from the nature of the material, the thing that's become really clear is that he's just not very clever, and a very poor, inexperienced comedian. Most stand-ups will have honed their act for years before doing a full tour. He got noticed so quickly that he went from 7 second Vine videos to headlining within the space of a year, and from the sounds of it, his shows consist of the sort of thing David Brent was doing in the Office finale.

There was an interesting comment tucked away in the Chortle piece that sheds a bit of light on him.

“He's dumb, crude and unambitious "

He's certainly not dumb. Having worked on the team in the social media agency that had Dapper as a client, he had a very scientific and educated growth strategy across multiple platforms. He also put vast amounts of his own cash into paid advertising (this is not the move of an unambitious individual)- primarily on Facebook but it was designed to be Shared, and successfully Shared it was, across multi-platforms. He paid to target men aged 16-30. He capitalized on UK lad culture. His character is crude, you're spot on, but it evidently appeals to the masses. Personally I don't find it hysterical but it appeals to the same audience who have made The Lad Bible the 14th most visited website in the UK. That's more popular than Instagram. Like or dislike his content, his growth strategy is not the act of a dumb man.
Just to add in, if you're referring to his character as dumb, crude and unambitious, then please ignore all of the above :)

Even forgetting about the rapey stuff, his grasp far exceeded his reach, and this is the story of an untalented, inexperienced man with nothing to say, who took off way too quickly without the material to back it up. He got away with it because his audience were drunken Magaluf types, but that couldn't have had much more of a lifespan. That kind of "pull people out of the crowd and do bantz about their fannies and cocks" stuff wouldn't have exactly fit him on a bill with other comics. Your Mannings, Davidsons and Browns at least knew how to structure a joke.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Aside from the nature of the material, the thing that's become really clear is that he's just not very clever, and a very poor, inexperienced comedian

Exactly. I've seen loads of new acts come out & be 'shocking' or whatever only for them to slowly find their voice & settle into what they actually wanted (or meant) to be doing. This was previously done by gigging over & over until you found out what worked & more importatly, why it worked. In this case he got fast tracked in front of large audiences & through the very short nature of vine clips & suchlike he completely bypassed this crucial learning stage. From watching the video on Chortle of him performing live this inexperience was obvious.

• Moderators

That aspect is really interesting to me; that rocketing up the food-chain thanks to an internet following, when he was nowhere near at that level. It's an inevitability of the Vine phenomena, when people don't have to be even half-half-decent performers because they're cramming all of three syllables into each video. Naturally when they've got the visibility of millions of followers, TV will come calling, but how many of them are even capable of clear diction or a confident presence, let alone material that can keep somebody's attention past the sub-10 second mark; things they haven't had to hone.

I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head of people who've got thrust to the top (well, ITV2) like this, when they obviously didn't belong, certainly none with such a vast gulf between position and ability. Anyone think of other famous examples? I'd imagine there's a few bands over the years.

• Paid Members

Even bands that got the quick mega push still had the live chops. The Darkness were the last act to get that kind of treatment. Headlined Reading & Leeds on the back of 1 album & had to pad the set out with a couple of dodgy covers and an unfinished new track. Even then though they got the push in the first place for being a brilliant & fun live band. Interestingly, I think they were also probably the last rock band to make megabucks from a big selling CD, just on the cusp on torrents.

From a comedy POV I can't think of anyone. Jack Whitehall got up there quick but in fairness to him he was killing it on the live circuit before that happened. I know a lot of people don't like his stuff but I saw him follow Reginald D Hunter with ease & get a huge response. No mean feat.

Closest thing I can think of in terms of a band being pushed beyond their spot would be when The Darkness went from playing middle of the day at Leeds/Reading in 2003 to being the headliner the following year despite only having one 35 minute album to their name.

I'm sure that there are better examples, but that's as good as I can do for off top of my head right now

Edit: me and DeadMike must have been typing at the same time

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Surely the best examples of rocketing from nothing to something are most of those that made a career from X-Factor? Most of them hadn't 'worked the circuit' at all, hence why despite having immense backing from Syco most of them fall by the wayside.