Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

The Jo Brand comparison works just fine. As do the Carr and Boyle comparisons. The only difference is the audience that they attract, and we, as educated, moderate, enlightened people don't think that the scum can differentiate between jokes and reality, so take it upon ourselves to be outraged on their behalf.

• Paid Members

The Jo Brand comparison works just fine. As do the Carr and Boyle comparisons. The only difference is the audience that they attract, and we, as educated, moderate, enlightened people don't think that the scum can differentiate between jokes and reality, so take it upon ourselves to be outraged on their behalf.

I think this is pretty much spot on too.

• Moderators

In comedy, women are certainly a minority. And no, it isn't because they aren't funny.

No it's because audiences, including women, don't give them the same chance as they do men. They're generalised about terribly. You book a bloke & he dies on his arse people don't assume every other male act is going to be shit. Which is exactly what they do with women.

In slightly-related news I saw the woman who plays Yara Greyjoy in Game of Thrones do stand up recently in Kennington and she was really funny. I didn't recognise her at all though until someone told me afterwards...

• Paid Members

Ah, so as long as he uses bottled tan and has a moustache he can say what he likes?

Wear a pair of Ray-bans and have a quiff, don't dare try to make a penny from the hundreds of thousands of people who think you're funny?

The majority of people who campaigned against ITV were doing so on their own behalf as they are the ones who suffer Harrassment on a daily basis and believe, rightly or wrongly, that giving him a platform would normalise and encourage abusive behaviour. Nobody was white knighting on anyone's behalf.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Moderators

By harrassment I'm assuming you mean him filming people for his vines that aren't aware of what they're taking part in?

No, I mean the countless people in bars or streets who are harrassed by people who see the likes of Dapper Laughs as vindication and normalising their behaviour, or using his lines on people who want nothing to do with them, then get called a bitch, or frigid if they tell them to fuck off.
Could you not apply that to anybody on any sort of media though? Does GTA normalise killing prostitutes?
It might do to those who kill prostitutes.

The issue people had was with ITV giving a platform to this misogyny. Nobody, or at least not with any weight behind it, campaigned to have his Vine account deleted, ITV were the issue.

Your GTA analogy would be akin to Peter Sutcliffe being given a DIY show on ITV2 where he advises which hammer is best for a job.

That's up there with Youth Hosteling with Chris Eubank.

I once sent ITV1 a treatment for HALESTORM. Where Gareth Hale visits places ravaged by weather based acts of god like a fart joke cracking Michael Buerk. Never heard back.

• Paid Members

Back when the commission was announced, Baldwin stated – in all earnestness – that “I actually believe [Dapper Laughs] is the new Cilla Black.” Oh, how right he turned out to be. For the only person at ITV who is still, to this day, spoken about with greater disdain than Dapper Laughs?

Forever and always, Cilla Black.

Not to derail, but what's the problem with Cilla Black?

• Moderators

Back when the commission was announced, Baldwin stated – in all earnestness – that “I actually believe [Dapper Laughs] is the new Cilla Black.” Oh, how right he turned out to be. For the only person at ITV who is still, to this day, spoken about with greater disdain than Dapper Laughs?

Forever and always, Cilla Black.

Not to derail, but what's the problem with Cilla Black?

With people who work in entertainment (or on airplanes) she's notoriously the most universally despised celebrity of all time.

• Moderators

Howcome?

Supposedly, just an absolutely toxic bitch who refuses to even talk to the little people, ie anyone who's not famous themselves. She's a bit of a meme on airline worker forums -- which are a thing I guess -- as nobody's ever had a good word to say about her, and all communication goes through assistants, because real people are grubby and gross. She's especially loathed because she's the opposite of her "our Cilla" persona, one of us, a woman of the people, whose accent switches off when the cameras do.

If you ever read forum threads about 'which celebrities have you met?' every Cilla story is nightmare inducing.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

The majority of people who campaigned against ITV were doing so on their own behalf as they are the ones who suffer Harrassment on a daily basis and believe, rightly or wrongly, that giving him a platform would normalise and encourage abusive behaviour. Nobody was white knighting on anyone's behalf.

If that's so, then the fact that they already suffer harassment on a daily basis is essentially proof that this particular abhorrent 'comedian' is nothing but a mouthpiece for an already existing social issue. Just like Chubby Brown, et Al. Chubby never changed the world and this guy wouldn't have either.

Anyway, my comments were aimed at those discussing the issue here, not those who got him 'banned'. Life of Brian is my favourite film of all time, yet it's seen as abhorrent to a particular section of society, many of whom actually think blasphemy is unforgivable, whereas a spot of rape in the right time and place is perfectly fine. Who the fuck are they to tell me what I can watch, and who are we to tell them?

Yes, the culture is already there but it does nothing about redressing the balance, it enforces it and that is what people see as problematic. Chubby brown et al aren't given a TV platform and again, that's the issue. This guy was. As I said, people aren't trying to silence Dapper Laughs, they think a national broadcaster shouldn't be giving him a platform. I don't think it has anything to do with dictating what people can and can't find funny.

I think that point is getting lost, to be honest. Not you, as you state your case well, but it's like fucknuggets who think the show being pulled is a freedom of speech issue, the sort who can't tell the difference between freedom of speech and not having a platform.