Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

Dapper Laughs

That's where the character needs to be better defined and he needs to show his arse more (not like he literally did in one of his Vines).

But some of the most popular musicians for decades have had misogynistic lyrics and themes, becoming more explicit with time. Also a ton of music videos are and many are shown on daytime TV. They've had a slightly bigger reach than Dapper Laughs. They've also been popular with men and women alike.

Didn't Pitbull get that aimed at him recently? Calvin Harris new song ask girls to "Show how big their mouth is" and i'm sure it got played in chart rundown. Not saying Harris music is generally of that nature.

Stupid comment aside. Overreaction comes to mind with it all.

Oh, Dapper did a token black joke? How meta!. But yeah, maybe Newsnight were right and he is the real victim here.

I'm sure that an element of his fans are well aware of the misogyny and applaud it, as they don't want their privilege in life challenged, whether it be from women, blacks, gays or the disabled.

So all of his female fans are just too thick to understand the concept of misogyny?

You implied it in the bit that I quoted, about how the only fans of his who could be aware of misogyny in his act are white, able-bodied, straight men "who don't want their privilege in life challenged."

So that's a resounding "No I can't but I'll try and shift the goalposts as much as I can" then. Ok.

Where did I say that his female fans are just too thick to understand the concept of misogyny, based on what you quoted, where did I say that?

Citation needed, plus your understanding of irony.

Where did I say that his female fans are just too thick to understand the concept of misogyny, based on what you quoted, where did I say that?

:laugh:

You said that the only fans who can understand the presence of misogyny in his act are white, straight, able-bodied males "who don't want their privilege in life challenged." That statement thus says that you don't think any of his female fans -- or black fans, or disabled fans, or gay fans -- are capable of it. You were very patronising to all of the groups other than the one your self-loathing comment was actually aimed at. That's always the danger in such cases, of course. But it's rare to see it put so obviously.

You said that the only fans who can understand the presence of misogyny in his act are white, straight, able-bodied males "who don't want their privilege in life challenged."

Where did I say that? Once again, citation needed.

That's two citations I'm waiting on. Not opinion, not inference, actual accusation. This isn't the raw thread.

You said that the only fans who can understand the presence of misogyny in his act are white, straight, able-bodied males "who don't want their privilege in life challenged."

Where did I say that? Once again, citation needed.

Here:

I'm sure that an element of his fans are well aware of the misogyny and applaud it, as they don't want their privilege in life challenged, whether it be from women, blacks, gays or the disabled.

And you thought that "Element" meant everyone. Well done. I wonder what element meant? It doesn't matter, I'm sure the female fans will understand the concept of misogyny.

No, I didn't think that "element" meant everyone -- it quite clearly referred to a specific segment of his fanbase, the segment you described in the very same sentence. But you've decided that other elements of his fanbase are aware of the misogyny now too, apparently, thus rendering your original statement null. For the best, I think.

Sign in to follow this