Any WCW fans on here?

Winston

• Paid Members

Didn't Sky air old WCW shows as Classic WWE or something in the mid 2000's? I remember catching most of the Black Scorpion angle on there and some Luger-Hansen stuff over the US belt.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started in 1998, even have a Year 2 school journal that documents my mate Jason showing me an old Shawn Michaels VHS or something.

I was always a WWE guy, but just about all my wrestling toys were WCW. WCW ring, wrestlers like Macho Man, Sting, and Goldberg with a locker that collapsed when you punched it, which was admittedly pretty cool. But I knew next to nothing about the product. I'm not sure I even fully realised who the nWo were until they showed up at No Way Out 2002.

My next door loved wrestling, but not WWE, it was WCW all the way. All the kids at school talked about was Austin and Rock, so I wasn't that interested in watching with him, even though he had pay TV and I didn't. I vaguely remember watching one episode of Nitro, and I think the main event was a Goldberg vs. Sting cage match (someone will be able to verify if that detail is right). It was okay, but it wasn't WWE.

Although I put my wrestling love beginning in early 2000 meaning I was originally a WWF guy all the way by the end of the summer I was curious about this other big company. I hadn't become internet savvy just yet so wasn't seeing the critical reviews. I started getting my parents to tape worldwide on fridays off the sky digital as we didnt have C5 apart from sky. I would grab the tape upon finishing and watch immediately. Although I always thought it was more boring and didnt regularly watch. Before I could get any routine as well it was cancelled. I just remember booker T being champ and then some of the Nash Steiner feud really from the time

I had watched some of the ITV stuff on weekend mornings afternoons. However couldn't quite remember it being so young.

I also once saw and sometimes I feel I was dreaming a WCW show like a Nitro/Thunder/Saturday Night with hogan being attacked and driving te ambulance back to the arena to get revenge. It was on ITV one afternoon in 99 or 2000. I wonder if it was on meridian only as it could have been a pre test for the trans atlantic wrestling challenge show

Since 2001 I worked hard to accumulate first the old WB tapes of WCW from 1999 through to 2000 and finally did it in 2006 paying

• Paid Members
Didn't Sky air old WCW shows as Classic WWE or something in the mid 2000's? I remember catching most of the Black Scorpion angle on there and some Luger-Hansen stuff over the US belt.

Yeah, they did. I was talking about 1990 though. Early Sky Sports showed WWF and WCW for some reason. I think the WWF got them booted off with their first UK power-play.

WCW retains this kind of mystery glow from when I first started properly watching wrestling, as I was watching Heat on C4. And going on the internet to IGN Wrestling and reading about all this stuff in WCW - Ric Flair faking a heart attack, Hogan returning, Bret Hart becoming champ... I could only follow it by reading about it and it all sounded really interesting and different.

Then discovering the Best of Nitro VHS tapes on the market stall, with their 4 minute edits of mid-90s matches, only increased the allure.

• Paid Members

Forgive me if it's been asked before, but what WCW pay per views were shown over here? I remember watching Nitro and Thunder on TNT every Friday night from about 1997 onwards, but don't recall them ever showing the pay per views. Half the enjoyment of the Network has been being able to finally see the WCW pay per views I missed in my youth.

Saturday afternoons, Saints & Greaves, WCW, A-Team, Baywatch, Gladiators. :laugh:

Oh what a line up that was, you couldn't wish to be born in a better time. I think A-Team would get switched between Knightrider sometimes. Great afternoon TV, stick a Bond movie at the end of all that, just perfect really. ITV or any channel will never have it as good again.

Forgive me if it's been asked before, but what WCW pay per views were shown over here? I remember watching Nitro and Thunder on TNT every Friday night from about 1997 onwards, but don't recall them ever showing the pay per views. Half the enjoyment of the Network has been being able to finally see the WCW pay per views I missed in my youth.

No WCW PPV's aired in the UK other than on DSF. It's actually quite astounding when you look back on it considering how successful Nitro was on TNT.

Saturday afternoons, Saints & Greaves, WCW, A-Team, Baywatch, Gladiators. :laugh:

Oh what a line up that was, you couldn't wish to be born in a better time. I think A-Team would get switched between Knightrider sometimes. Great afternoon TV, stick a Bond movie at the end of all that, just perfect really. ITV or any channel will never have it as good again.

It was normally Barrymore or Stars In Their Eyes following that, ha.

No WCW PPV's aired in the UK other than on DSF. It's actually quite astounding when you look back on it considering how successful Nitro was on TNT.

How successful was it really though on the UK TNT channel? Heard somewhere that Nitro ratings NEVER surpassed Raw ratings over here (even at the height of WCW's boom in 1997), despite the fact that TNT was free and Sky Sports wasn't.

Can't remember the source sorry.

How successful was it really though on the UK TNT channel? Heard somewhere that Nitro ratings NEVER surpassed Raw ratings over here (even at the height of WCW's boom in 1997), despite the fact that TNT was free and Sky Sports wasn't.

The Wikipedia entry for Nitro in the UK has the following quote:

WCW Monday Nitro also pulled in strong ratings in the UK. It was once the third most watched show on satellite and cable TV only beaten by Raw and certain soccer matches, but unlike in the USA, it never beat Monday Night Raw in the then head-to-head "Friday Night Wars"

No idea if that's true or not but it definitely did very respectable ratings around 97/98, especially for a show that had basically no advertising and existed on a channel a lot of people didn't even know existed. WCW had a massive untapped market over here, proven by the fact they still drew great crowds as late as 2000 during their infamous Mamalukes/Harris Boys tour.

• Paid Members

As pointed out earlier, despite WCW being on free TV, I never got the feeling its popularity ever eclipsed the WWF which was certainly not the case on the other side of the Atlantic.

I suppose with 13 years having passed since it shut down, the company is fast becoming a fading memory and a new generation of fans have come through of which the initials almost mean nothing to. But I find this quite sad to be honest.

WCW at times could be pretty rubbish, but it also had excellent moments. For me it was the lineage of the NWA and its demise meant the end of an era in so many ways.

Archived