Any WCW fans on here?

Winston

I've always been a WCW fan, I became a bigger fan over time.

When I first got into wrestling around 1990 I was all wwf but I knew of wcw. i had there ring and some action figures. At school everybody loved wwf and sting. Sting seemed more famous then wcw itself.

I watched wcw on itv when I was a kid then when I got cable in 97 I started watching nitro on a Friday night. The peak of wrestling for me was on a Friday night watching wcw on TNT from 9 then putting raw on at 10, I use to flick between the two between 10 and 11 and then watch the final hour of raw.

I remember going to Florida in 97 and in 98, wcw was everywhere there. Nwo,Goldberg,sting and hogan stuff in every shop you went in. Weird things aswell like bugs bunny dolls in Nwo t shirts and Taz dolls with sting face paint on .It proved to me how big wcw was at the time. Hardly any wwf stuff knocking around at all , just Austin stuff really.

At that time wcw was further ahead merchandise wise I thought. You could get everything with wcw on. Toothbrushes,towels,duvet sets etc etc all kinds of shit even figures that spoke to each other WTF

My parents preferred wcw at that time aswell. The wwf was jut starting the attitude thing which I think most parents cringed at from time to time. Wcw was giving you hogan,savage,piper,flair and a lot of old faces.

I still preferred wwf to wcw at that time all though I did watch wcw. I think not being able to watch the ppv's kept them back here in the uk. Plus I can't remember wcw ever touring here during that time where as wwf did.

Everyone at school were all wwf apart from a few of us who watched both but I can't ever remember anyone preferring wcw.

I do remember everybody dreaming about a wwf v wcw show though and I remember some rumours doing the rounds about a big show on New Year's Eve in 1999. Never true though was it?

Then around 2000 time I found myself becoming a big wcw mark (??) I watched their shows every week and checked on ppv results early on Monday morning

I went to see them live which was probably the worst wrestling show I've ever been to. Not one star was there really and I remember it being on bbc watchdog because of how poor the shows were.

They can back a year later and sent all the big guns , I got to meet Goldberg and the show was excellent.

I stuck with wcw till end then and became a big fan.

I do miss wcw I must admit even for the car crash material they produced towards the end of their run.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WCW was always top for me. Even when WCW was in the toilet I still always made a point of watching Nitro/Thunder and catching Raw on repeat. WCW dying was when my love for wrestling started dying. I'd sacrifice every great wrestling moment from the last 15 years just to have WCW back, even in its worst state.

WCW was always top for me. Even when WCW was in the toilet I still always made a point of watching Nitro/Thunder and catching Raw on repeat. WCW dying was when my love for wrestling started dying. I'd sacrifice every great wrestling moment from the last 15 years just to have WCW back, even in its worst state.

Agreed .wrestling died in spirit when the wwf brought wcw. That surprise element was gone. Every week I use to think who is going to jump ship. Wwf could of delivered us one last bang with the invasion but it was shit

At least their starting to realise what they have in the library with the wcw dvd sets. Which are always the biggest wwe DVDs

I grew up a WCW fan. I was never a "this company is #1, that company sucks" kind of guy, I just felt WCW seemed more realistic/believable for the most part. WWF always was embarassingly crass and seemed low-brow to me. I just couldn't get hooked on any of it. All of the Vince Russo stuff evoked a "well this is stupid, back to WCW" response for me. Once that sort of crap started happening in WCW, I was beginning to switch to WWF, if only because all of my favorites had jumped ship. Benoit & the Radicalz stable was big for me because it was a decent sized group all just "showing up" at the other company. In a way it was the lower-scale WWF lite version of the NWO feeling I'd missed out on (I got into it in 98).

Benoit, Dean Malenko, Guerrero... Once Kurt Angle hit the scene, forget it. I was still keeping tabs on WCW, but my memory of the later years isn't as vivid as the peak, so clearly I was changing over.

I miss it. Had high hopes for TNA, but, well, we know how that went.

I've just always been a fan of WCW and its history. Obviously WWF IS wrestling history, past present & future, so on and so forth, but I'll take 80s crockett over 80s WWF any day, sorry. Different strokes :)

Also... The Invasion was such an exciting time to be following live, whether it "could have been done better" or not. A truly once in a lifetime mega-angle...

I never really watched a great deal of WCW back in the day, i did have VHS of Capitol Combat, Starrcade 90 I believe it was, were Flair was the Black Scorpion and Halloween Havoc were Abdullah the Butcher got they 'electric' chair. I recently however, discovered monsoonclassic the youtube channel featuring an array of matches from early to mid 90's and so far in really impressed with match quality especially the matches involving Steven 'William' Regal, Barry Windham, Arn Anderson and definitely Ricky Steamboat and others. Production wise, its terrible but it doesn't bother me i like the old school feel.

I really wish WWE would release a Tagged Classics series of WCW shows/PPVs...Theres so much i haven't seen but really want to

I really wish WWE would release a Tagged Classics series of WCW shows/PPVs...Theres so much i haven't seen but really want to

That'll never happen except maybe some rare instances. All the WCW ppvs are on the network, and WWE's DVD business is declining.

Wikipedia page for WCW Worldwide says it didn't start airing on Saturday afternoons on ITV till late 92, but I'm pretty sure it was on at least a good year before this. I remember getting Sky in January 1992 and finally being able to watch WWF every week (having relied on taped lent by my brothers friend for a while), but having WCW on my TV for a while before that. I definitely viewed it as an inferior product. Remember Flyin' Brian, Stephen Regal and Doom featuring on a very regular basis.

Then it was Saturday Night and Main Event on the German channel in 1994 (Hogan was back!) before Nitro started on TNT in late 95 - used to watch whatever was on Cartoon Network at 6pm (think it was the Flintstones) before TNT and Nitro came on at 7. Good times.

Wikipedia page for WCW Worldwide says it didn't start airing on Saturday afternoons on ITV till late 92, but I'm pretty sure it was on at least a good year before this. I remember getting Sky in January 1992 and finally being able to watch WWF every week (having relied on taped lent by my brothers friend for a while), but having WCW on my TV for a while before that. I definitely viewed it as an inferior product. Remember Flyin' Brian, Stephen Regal and Doom featuring on a very regular basis.

Then it was Saturday Night and Main Event on the German channel in 1994 (Hogan was back!) before Nitro started on TNT in late 95 - used to watch whatever was on Cartoon Network at 6pm (think it was the Flintstones) before TNT and Nitro came on at 7. Good times.

92 i didnt realise it was that far back. Was it filmed in mgm studios then?

Sure it was on in like 1991 at 3 in the morning on ITV up here in the North East of England, I remember always trying to set the video to record it but the damn thing hardly ever worked

If my memory is correct it might have even been earlier as I remember loving watching Sid absolutely murder jobbers and them get carried away on stretchers, not sure what the timeline is with Sid being in WCW at that time tho

I remember watching WCW in the run up to Starrcade 1989 and being so disappointed when my dad explained that 'Paper View' (as I thought they said) was only for Americans. My Dad used to set a tape for it on ITV in the middle of the night.

Incidentally, I've been slowly working my way through every WCW PPV and Clash of the Champions up until the Hogan era started. I'm loving watching it all over again. I'm up to WCW/NJPW Supershow 1991 now. Great stuff.

• Paid Members

My parents never really cared what time I went to bed and I used to love watching the double bill of American Gladiators and WCW on ITV with my older brother at 2 in the morning or whatever time it was on Saturday night when I was 10 in the early 90s. My friend had SKY and could watch WWF and I caught the odd bit at his house but WCW was the one for me and Sting was the man (although I was keen on Arachniman and Johnny B Badd too). I fell out of watching it at some point (no idea when it stopped showing on ITV) and got back into it when I got cable in the late 90s, I didn't follow WWF at all but I started watching the odd Nitro on TNT on Friday night and before long I was totally hooked again, I knew nothing about wrestling ability or how over people were and I marked out for people like Alex Wright and Buff Bagwell (still loved Sting of course). I still look back on the time I found Nitro as one of my favourite eras as a wrestling fan, I haven't fallen back out of watching wrestling since then. After a stretch of being loyal to WCW and being totally drawn in by things like the nWo I decided to start watching WWF as well to see if it compared, it took me a while but I really warmed to it and enjoyed watching both for a long time. Unfortunately eventually WCW started to get worse and worse (although I still loved it and was loyal,) I couldn't argue with the fact that WWF was better at that point, maintaining quality while WCW became a confused mess with loads of problems that we've all heard about since.

I hated McMahon buying WCW, having the big 2 competing with each other during a boom period with action figures and magazines and videos for both everywhere was a great time to be a fan, there was even room for ECW to have a decent piece of the pie for a short period too.

Now WWE really is the only game in town, they won, they devoured the opposition just like Vince always wanted and WCW being competition to WWE seems like forever ago but for me wrestling has never really felt the same since WCW got swallowed up, a lot of the magic has gone, the competition between the two feds and the fans picking their favourites was a big part of the fun, the business was doing well and there were more options for the boys, everyone was a winner. It seems weird that kids getting into WWE now won't really know anything else on that scale, for all intents and purposes mainstream wrestling is WWE now and I do love WWE but out of the few wrestling DVDs I have I'm a lot more likely to stick on a WCW one and enjoy remembering my favourite wrestling fed in it's former glory.

• Paid Members
ITV was class Saturday afternoon fayre.

We didn't get WCW up here in Scotland on Scottish-TV at all. I looked as well when I was a teen. Not a sausage. Must have aired everywhere apart from Scotland.

• Paid Members
WCW was the one for me and Sting was the man (although I was keen on Arachniman and Johnny B Badd too). I fell out of watching it at some point (no idea when it stopped showing on ITV)

Late 1995, I think. I definitely remember watching the first Hogan vs Sting match on there (it was from Nitro but they definitely aired it on Worldwide over here with different commentary, Chris Cruise or whatever his name was) and wondering why Hogan looked so weird in black (this was pre-NWO, during the Dungeon of Doom feud) and had no 'tache. Seeing Hogan without the 'tache was more of a shock to me than when I first saw hair on my bollocks. The world wasn't quite the same after seeing that.

Not sure when WCW started airing on ITV, I think I started watching it in 1992. It was on in the afternoon here. Sting, The Steiners and Ron Simmons were my early favourites, and Vader and The Barbarian were the two who struck fear into me. Rude was at his best, Windham and Rhodes team were brilliant, Dangerous Alliance, Flyin' Brian, Schiavone and Ventura on commentary. Every now and then you'd get a surprise as well. I couldn't believe it when the British Bulldog popped up in '93.

We didn't get Nitro on TNT right from the start, did we? Sure we didn't start getting that until Mar/Apr of '96. I was still watching Nitro on DSF the first few months.

Archived