Any WCW fans on here?

Winston

Just curious if anyone on here was more of a WCW fan than WWF in the nineties?

I had WWF video tapes in 92 & 93 but only properly started watching it when we got Sky installed in early 1998.

Friday night's had Nitro starting at 9 on TNT before RAW started at 10 on Sky Sports. Having not seen anything for years it was interesting to see the transformation of Hulk Hogan and Scott Steiner and obviously the nWo were pretty cool but WCW was never really able to grab me at all. Nothing seemed to flow and it was quite repetitive.

I'd always turn over to RAW at 10pm and the story lines at the time was Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker feuding, Kane had just debuted and Austin was on his way to superstardom. Everything the WWF done was always so much better to me.

Did WCW have much of a UK following?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I watched a tiny amount of WCW in the early 90s, and read about it in the Apter mags, but when I lost interest in wrestling in about 1992-1993, I lost total visibility of WCW - we didn't have Sky, but at least WWF was still sort of visible. When we got Sky, it took me a while to discover Nitro on TNT, but when I did, I was blown away. In retrospect, I caught it around the time of the mid nWo period (first episode I saw ended with Flair, Piper, and Kevin Greene in the ring whilst the nWo leaflet bombed them), so it was going generally okay, but I think it was the sheer novelty of seeing all of this new stuff. Watched religiously right up to the point where Ric Flair was mercilessly beaten (and probably killed) in the desert for about ten hours, and my dad walked in and said "this is shite, though, isn't it?". Even though he always said that about the wrestling, he'd normally make a brew and sit down with me to enjoy it. However, he just said it and went to mow the grass (I was probably watching it on tape, as I was at uni then, and was recording episodes to watch when I got home). This was a very clear signal that yes, WCW was shite. I quickly lost interest, and wasn't watching when they were sold.

I was as unlucky as you can get with WCW. I started watching WWF in late 1999 as a twelve year old and after a year and a bit of that decided to start taping WCW off TNT, even if everyone in school thought you were a queg if you watched it.

The first episode of Nitro my Mum remembered to record for me opened with Vince McMahon backstage with Trish Stratus. Then Flair came out looking like the nackered lunatic that he is, and I found myself thinking 'is he their version of the Rock then'? I thought the same thing about Terry Funk when I'd seen a DVD of Barely Legal a few months previous, but he started doing moonsaults of ladders so I didn't mind. Flair just screamed about a load of presumably 'arld fellas I hadn't heard of.

I watched to the end and thought thank fook when Shane McMahon came out. Everything looked it was taking place about 15 years before Raw. Even Booker T, the closest thing to a cool babyface on the show, looked like a throwback to the 80s.

• Paid Members

WCW was for poor people who used to get the Sky cut off regularly (i.e. us). DSF and TNT were free all year round. You could watch all Nitros, Thunders, Saturday Nights and PPVs. It was a great time to be a wrestling fan. So much wrestling on those Sky channels.

• Paid Members

Only gays and UKIP voters preferred WCW.

I enjoyed WCW at times but for me, it never, ever compared to the WWF. It was a place where talent was prepared for New York or where old guys went to die.

Lots of great matches in WCW over the years and lots of really good wrestlers. But honestly, even with hindsight, I still don't like it more than the WWF. The nWo days when WCW was well on top are some of the most over-rated shows in wrestling history, IMO. Same old, same old from the nWo while the undercard of mega-talented guys was put together by drawing names out of hats.

The DDP/Savage stuff was better than anything else the nWo did.

• Paid Members

I have fond memories of going round to my mates Grandparents house (they happened to live next to my Grandparents) and catching Nitro and the odd PPV. Like any great Gran, my mates would always throw food at us and be insulted if you didn't eat it all. For some reason he never shared my love of the Stinger, much preferring the likes of Luger.

He's a smack head now.

I remember wcw being shown on itv on saturday afternoons. It was from mgm studios in Florida. This was before the whole nwo thing (i think) 94-95. Was wcw shown here in the early 90's?

I remember that, I think WCW replaced WOS wrestling.

Saturday afternoons, Saints & Greaves, WCW, A-Team, Baywatch, Gladiators. :laugh:

ITV was class Saturday afternoon fayre.

I used to love the television championship, the belt used to mean something!

The cruiserweights and Regal were heavily used, and it was great to see Robbie Brookside and Doc Dean, Croydon favourites of mine appear on the telly, even though Doc got a beating from Jacqueline.

DDT digest was a fine WCW website of it's time, used to do excellent reviews of the shows.

Archived