UKFF WWE Network FAQ

JNLister

• Paid Members

I don't know if anything's been said openly (it certainly wasn't in the financial report a couple of weeks ago) but Meltzer hypothesised that they might like to launch as a paid channel over here as, despite Rogers having fuck all coverage in Canada, it's been a more lucrative deal than it might have been had they gone OTT in that region. And seeing as Sky has very good coverage over here, it could, presumably, work out even better.

Plus, as has been repeatedly pointed out, a lot of people in the UK who really want the Network already have the Network so launching OTT may not see the bump in numbers they're hoping for whereas making a deal with Sky to launch it as a premium channel will bring in extra revenue and make it easier for any people to sign up.

• Paid Members

Surely they would have decided that before announcing a date and then cancelling 20 mins before the release?

It's all speculation but that could have been a move to force Sky's hand in negotiations. Or vice versa with the kibosh being put on it.

How can SKY's hand be forced? They hold all the cards. WWE can't do it without SKY (due to their existing exclusive broadcast contract), and SKY aren't arsed doing it at all. SKY don't even have a dedicated Golf channel, and I know they're not interested in a WWE channel.

• Paid Members

Surely they would have decided that before announcing a date and then cancelling 20 mins before the release?

It's all speculation but that could have been a move to force Sky's hand in negotiations. Or vice versa with the kibosh being put on it.

How can SKY's hand be forced? They hold all the cards. WWE can't do it without SKY (due to their existing exclusive broadcast contract), and SKY aren't arsed doing it at all. SKY don't even have a dedicated Golf channel, and I know they're not interested in a WWE channel.

I've no idea, like almost everyone else. But if Sky aren't interested in a WWE channel then saying "Fuck you then, we'll just launch our network as is" would be the obvious response. Which appears to be what has happened.

• Awards Moderator

Just read on another forum that the Apple TV version has just been updated: "to add Resume features AND a watchlist feature where you can episodes and PPVs and then watch them all in order."

Maybe that's in the works for the other versions and they're using this as a test.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

I'd be all over it if it was launched through Sky. Probably in the minority on that one, but as an existing customer it would be great if the Network live stream was a Sky channel and the rest of the content was all available via On Demand.

I'd be well up for that for sure. Anything that allows me to watch their back catalogue on demand and easily on telly (ie not fucking about with extra leads or whatnot) works for me.

• Paid Members

A few newz sites are claiming Sky sent an email today saying the Network isn't through them and will be OTT. They also supposedly happen to mention they have exclusive rights to WWE PPV's for 5 years. Anyone get it, or is it more bad reporting?

EDIT- As pasted on 411 without so much as a screen shot:

Sky TV has sent an email to fans in the UK which says the WWE Network will not be a standalone satellite channel on Sky in the UK. It will instead be an “over the top” online service.

The email also mentioned that Sky has signed an agreement with WWE to air their 12 PPV events each year from January 2015 to 2019 “exclusively in the UK and Ireland.”

Credit: Rajah

Edited by Benno

If that deals signed will the WWE be able to show the PPV'S on the network here?or would they be in breach of the sky contract?

I think that's the entire problem.  They were effectively giving away for free what Sky wanted to charge for.  Plus, the C and D shows like Superstars and Main Event get good ratings for Sky Sports, so their value is diminished if folks can watch them on the Network. 

I'd be all over it if it was launched through Sky. Probably in the minority on that one, but as an existing customer it would be great if the Network live stream was a Sky channel and the rest of the content was all available via On Demand.

I'd be well up for that for sure. Anything that allows me to watch their back catalogue on demand and easily on telly (ie not fucking about with extra leads or whatnot) works for me.

This is the best answer by far, to have a channel with on demand/catch up all built within sky's current blue menu screen thingy is definitely, in my mind, the most user friendly option I've heard as to how to release the network in the UK. However, it wont cost $9.99! I honestly couldn't stomach paying between 50-60 pounds per month (I'm not a sky customer but after line rental, basic package, sports package and anything else sky charge for, it's got to be close to £50) for exactly the same as Americans get for £7 (ish)