Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

I was certain they'd have just continued pushing Balor super hard, in place of Reigns, but Vince just isn't having it. Bruce Prichard has told several stories that have explained Vince's mindset during times like this - essentially, he gets these projects where he stubbornly wants to be proven right, in the end.

In fairness to Reigns, he's improved a lot over the past few years, but not sure he's ever going to be what Vince wants.

• Paid Members

I just think Reigns is damaged goods. He could walk out on RAW on Monday, cut a promo better than "Hard Times", then step in the ring and outdo Steamboat and Flair, and half the crowd would still say he sucked.

With Cena and Reigns I've never been one to jump on the bandwagon of assuming that a heel turn would miraculously fix all of their problems, but a turn for Reigns after beating Undertaker would have been a chance to strike while the iron was hot, capitalise on some real heat, and let people get it out of their system.

When do people reckon is the best point to start watching late 80s/early 90s WCW? I was thinking of starting at November 1988 when Turner bought out Crockett and the company actually started to be called WCW; but I've heard JCP stuff from '86 to '88 (all weekly shows available on the Network) is really good. 

It's just kinda annoying me as WWF has got very logical starting points (1984, with Hogan's debut onwards, TNT and the MSG shows); I'm also following other time periods concurrently (1987 onwards now that Prime Time is up /  Attitude Era - Dec '97 onwards / WCW in mid 90s from first Nitro onwards), all of which I feel were good points to start without very much at all to catch up on in terms of ongoing storylines. 

12 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Woah woah woah, you're skipping to December 97 WWF TV as a starting point. 1997 has some of the best TV they've ever had

I watched it at the time. Quit just before the beginning of the boom (around Montreal-ish). :-) 

15 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

oh, sorry bud. the way you worded it before was like you were skipping straight to December 97, and while obviously the boom would carry on after that point, to have missed out on 97 as a whole would have been criminal 

I probably should give 97 a re-watch actually; my memory from 20 years ago's getting a bit hazy. :-) 

On 13/05/2017 at 9:59 PM, Maikeru said:

When do people reckon is the best point to start watching late 80s/early 90s WCW? I was thinking of starting at November 1988 when Turner bought out Crockett and the company actually started to be called WCW; but I've heard JCP stuff from '86 to '88 (all weekly shows available on the Network) is really good. 

It's just kinda annoying me as WWF has got very logical starting points (1984, with Hogan's debut onwards, TNT and the MSG shows); I'm also following other time periods concurrently (1987 onwards now that Prime Time is up /  Attitude Era - Dec '97 onwards / WCW in mid 90s from first Nitro onwards), all of which I feel were good points to start without very much at all to catch up on in terms of ongoing storylines. 

I've been listening to the Bryan & Vinny podcast for over a year reviewing NWA shows 30 years ago from that particular week.  After a while I started watching the shows myself.  Personally enjoying '87 more but there really isn't a great difference on the roster and the format of show since '86 so I would recommend starting from there and if it doesn't do much for you then maybe jump ahead?

You won't find much in the way of marquee matches but those shows have some amazing promos and the squash matches are really entertaining and funny.  It's the highlight of my wrestling week at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

* Around 60 episodes of Tursday Night Titans have been added, covering August 85 upto September 86.

* There's a Final Fantasy XV Online advert disguised as a special about The New Day been added recently which was filmed around Wrestlemania weekend.

New Collections

Bruno Sammartino: The Legend Lives

includes the following- Vs. Killer Kowalski 29/4/74, Greek Death Match Vs. Spiros Arion 14/4/75, vs. Waldo Von Erich 16/6/75, vs. George 'The Animal' Steele 9/8/75, Steel Cage Match vs. Ivan Koloff 15/12/75, vs. Ernie Ladd 1/3/76, Steel Cage Match vs. Stan Hansen 7/8/76, vs. Ken Patera w/ Special Ref Gorilla Monsoon 7/3/77, vs. Billy Graham 30/4/77, vs. Billy Graham 1/8/77, vs. Nikolai Volkoff 27/8/79, vs. Larry Zbyszko 22/1/80, Steel Cage Match vs. Larry Zbyszko 9/8/80, vs. Roddy Piper 7/12/85, Steel Cage Match vs. Roddy Piper 8/2/86, vs. Randy Savage 13/2/87.

The Ladder Match: Reaching for Glory

includes- Jake Roberts v Big Daddy Ritter (Stampede Wrestling 27/7/79), Barbed Wire Ladder Match Dusty Rhodes v Tully Blanchard (NWA Great American Bash 87), Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels (WWF 21/7/92), Shawn Michaels v Razor Ramon (Wrestlemania 10), Syxx v Eddie Guererro (WCW/nWo Souled Out 97), Sabu v The Sandman (ECW House Party 98), The Rock v HHH (Summerslam 98), The Rock v Mankind (RAW #299), Edge & Christian v The New Brood (No Mercy 99), Edge & Christian v The Dudley Boys v The Hardy Boys (Wrestlemania 2000), Jamie Noble & Evan Karagias v The Jung Dragons v 3 Count (WCW Starrcade 2000), Jeff Hardy v The Undertaker (RAW #475), Eddie Guererro & Tajiri v Team Angle (Judgment Day 2003), Rob Van Dam v Sabu (ECW on SyFy 16/8/06), Rob Van Dam v The Big Show (ECW on SyFy 24/10/06), MNM V William Regal & Dave Taylor v London & Kendrik v The Hardys (Armageddon 2006), Beth Phoenix v Katie Lea (OVW 23/12/06), The Hardys v World's Greatest Tag Team (One Night Stand 2007), Jeff Hardy v Carlito (RAW #759), Chris Jericho v Shawn Michaels (No Mercy 2008), Jeff Hardy v Edge (Extreme Rules 2009), Kofi Kingston v Jack Swagger v Dolph Ziggler (TLC 2010), John Cena v Dolph Ziggler (TLC 2012), Adrian Neville v Bo Dallas (NXT Takeover: Arrival), Luke Harper v Dolph Ziggler (TLC 2014), Daniel Bryan v Dolph Ziggler v Dean Ambrose v Luke Harper v Stardust v R-Truth v Wade Barrett (Wrestlemania 31), Kevin Owens v Finn Balor (NXT Takeover: Brooklyn), The New Day v The Usos v The Lucha Dragons (TLC 2015), The Miz v Zack Ryder v Stardust v Sami Zayn v Kevin Owens v Dolph Ziggler v Sin Cara (Wrestlemania 32), Sheamus & Cersaro v Anderson & Gallows v Enzo & Cass v The Hardys (Wrestlemania 33)

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

* Around 60 episodes of Tursday Night Titans have been added, covering August 85 upto September 86.

Just a few minutes after I cancelled my subscription, I read that. The bastards have got me again. 

I can't express enough how much I love TNT.

Also, add me to the long list of 1997 fans. Fascinating to watch back and see the difference between the programming in January to that in December. Almost like a whole different company, morphing from the Gang Warz stuff to the Hart Foundation/Austin programme to Montreal and the fallout. 

Edited by garynysmon

• 3 weeks later...

If you e got a spare 20 minutes, the latest episode of Ride Along is well worth watching. In one car you've got Owens & Jericho and inthe you got Nia Jax, Todd Phillips and Corey Graves. I don't know how much of the show is scripted (I would imagine most of it is), but if there is a real element to it, then Byron Saxton comes out of it looking a hell of a lot creepier