Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

I often go back and watch Brock/Taker from Wrestlemania 30. That’s probabky the most unique, brilliant reaction I’ve ever seen. It’s incredible. 

Thousands of people just completely fucking baffled, amazed and pissed off.

Perfect.

The match itself is very poor, partly because Taker got dropped on his head early on and was knocked loopey. When SCG did their Desert Island Duals episode, I had that match as one of my picks purely because of the significance of the result. The reaction it got is probably the most genuine thing they've got out of an audience in years

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I've never seen it. I have the finish obviously a million times but not the match. Had the result spoiled and never been back to watch anything bar Bryan's crowning.

Having the Taker V Lesnar result spoilt for you has to be the worst spoiler you could get in the history of wrestling.  That's brutal.

I remember the day after WM30, me and about 8 other lads were going to watch the show (for the first time) in the evening after work.  During the day I was bored and was casually browsing Facebook on my phone in a meeting, totally forgetting about WM30.  I was so, so lucky nothing came up about the streak, I would have never forgiven myself.

When we watched later that evening, after the pinfall there was a silence in the room for about two minutes of pure disbelief, it was so strange.  The first person to speak was some poor lad who said "yeah I knew the result, my girlfriend spoilt it for me this morning".

The ending of the streak is my most memorable and impactful moment ever as a wrestling fan, and not just because of the shock value, but because of what it meant and the emotions involved too.  I don't think we'll ever get a moment like that again in the next 30 years.

• Paid Members

I said it at the time, but the shitness of the match when watching live actually made the finish even more impactful. It forced me to drop my guard. I wasn’t even paying attention in the final few minutes, playing on my phone, making a drink whilst it was on in the background. Then that ref’s hand hit the mat for the third time and it was like being unplugged from the fucking Matrix. It was mental. Like a jolt of electricity, the drama went from 0 to 100 in the space of one second. I can’t think of any other matches where this is the case, and it obviously wasn’t their intent, but it being so bad added to the drama and psychology perfectly.

I honesty don’t think the impact would have been anywhere as big if it had come after a great match that I was invested and engrossed in. I imagine the streak ending in one of the HBK matches, or the Punk match, and whilst it still would’ve been huge, it wouldn’t have had that borderline out-of-body experience where it suddenly goes from a shit match that I don’t care about to one of the most significant moments of all time. I fucking love it. It’s the best. I can’t think of anything like it. No TV show, no movie, no book. It’s completely unique to pro-wrestling. A storyline built up over twenty years, paid off in the most dramatic fashion, in front of a live audience. I’ll never ever get tired of watching it back. That audible gasp when they put the 21-1 graphic up. Awesome.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I said it at the time, but the shitness of the match when watching live actually made the finish even more impactful. It forced me to drop my guard. I wasn’t even paying attention in the final few minutes, playing on my phone, making a drink whilst it was on in the background. Then that ref’s hand hit the mat for the third time and it was like being unplugged from the fucking Matrix. It was mental.

That's exactly how it was with me and my mates in the arena. Our attention was gone, we were pretty drunk and just joking away, but I was watching out of the corner of my eye and nudged a couple of mates saying "Look, he's going for a third F-5", not in a million years thinking that would be the end of it. The reaction is just something you can't describe. It felt like 80,000 people went silent, except for the 3 buddies who still hadn't paid attention and were being drunkenly loud about something completely different from what was going on. It took a few more seconds for them to click! It felt like a massive, massive mistake for ages.

2 hours ago, bbabba said:

The first person to speak was some poor lad who said "yeah I knew the result, my ex-girlfriend spoilt it for me this morning".

Fixed.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Then that ref’s hand hit the mat for the third time and it was like being unplugged from the fucking Matrix.

What a great way of putting it.

• Paid Members

It was a great visual though. The fans looking shocked and confused about what happened and the stadium in near silence. Me and my friends were all talking and laughing beforehand as we had lost interest in the match and then we was stunned into silence for a good couple of minutes. We all briefly looked at each other and then back to the screen. I broke the silence with a “hmm”. Followed by my friend texting me asking what just happened. Would we all agree it’s the biggest and most memorable moment in Wrestlemania history?

Thank god Bryan won later on. I don’t know people would’ve cope with Randy or Batista winning. 

• Paid Members

I was still in Uni and became good mates with the lad across the hall. Me, him and a mate from home used to watch the big PPVs together. During the Undertaker match, we all got so bored that we were drifting in and out of sleep watching it but miraculously all woke up when he hit the 3rd F5.

1, 2, 3.

Silence. Nobody said a word until Lesnar was walking back up the ramp, but then we never stopped talking about it for days.

Like everyone else in the arena, I fell silent for it. From where I was sat, I couldn't tell if it was a botch and was wondering how they were going to get themselves out of fucking up the finish. Then I wondered how the referee ended up doing the final count on it and not pretending a shoulder was up or something. The screen went up and Lesnar's music played and it suddenly became real. Then my ex immediately started bragging about how she'd said from the start Lesnar would win based on the build (which she did to be fair) until she realised everyone around her was silent and so shut up.

Despite Bryan winning the main event, walking back to the hotel felt flat to me because of Taker's loss. Bryan winning was to be expected for me, so I was still getting my head around Taker's loss. It didn't feel as much of a celebratory atmosphere leaving the arena.

Edited by Sphinx

4 hours ago, mim731 said:

Should be interesting ...I enjoyed wcw in 98 -99  I used to buy the wcw tapes when I was a teen ...it's nice to see them uploading some interesting classic stuff with mid Atlantic ,euro rampage ..etc