Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of Jim Cornette's 7 year rule on gimmicks and storylines. Doesn't mean I want a backstory or Sister Abigail's death / murder involving the Wyatt's.

I'd much have preferred an Rko out of nowhere and a divide and rule explanation.

Wasn't a bad show but I actually feel for the first time in a long long time Raw was better.

• Paid Members

Classic WrestleMania season bullshit. Why does this stuff always involve Randy Orton?

Enjoyed the Harper/Styles match but fuck knows what the result means now.

Cena/Miz stuff went way too long and had way too much Russo about it. Cena fucking about with Miz and James Ellsworth makes me sad.

Rest of the feuds meandering along were OK. The big stuff let this down badly.

Agree with Captain Slip, Raw the better show this week.

• Paid Members

They've pulled the rug right from underneath Harper there, losing twice in the same match. And by the looks of things, we're getting the Styles/Shane match at Mania- so as Rick says who knows what Styles' win meant.

The re-start made sense, IF Harper went on to win instead, which was a logical outcome. Orton VS Wyatt one on one isn't as interesting, I think you have more dynamic and intrigue (and probably a better match) if you throw Harper in there for a three-way. Oh well.

• Awards Moderator

I read the comments here and prepared for wrestlecrap. It wasn't awful as a segment in a WWE show, but a poor and motiveless end to the partnership.

But... Unprovoked, Randy burns down a house with clear meaning to Bray and we go off the air with people chanting for Randy?

We're going to be seeing repeats of that visual of Randy posing in front of the flames for a long time.

Edit: to focus on the good, I thought Cena and Miz was terrific. Great work.

• Paid Members

MizTV certainly set the ball rolling. That crowd reaction seemed lukewarm at best again.

As nice as it was to run through a 2 out of 3 falls match in ten minutes, it was nothing that couldn't have been done in a single fall match Surely you save a match like that for the title on a PPV?

Did they really put Crews Vs Ziggler higher up the card than the match to determine the number 1 contender to the title? That's some odd booking.

Carmellsworth Vs Cena/Nikki? Could be interesting. 

That AJ/Harper match was good, Dusty finish aside. I guess it keeps us guessing about what's occurring at Mania. Do we have Shane order another rematch between them to hammer this thing out once and for all?

Ziggler dances out in his USA tights and is attacked from behind by Apollo Crews? Which one's the babyface again? For further emphasis Dolph plays plucky babyface in peril as Crews wails on him with a chair. At least when Shawn was doing this kind of thing as a heel he'd kip up and make it obvious that he'd been playing some kind of rope-a-dope possum strategy. Ziggler needs to go back and study his HBK tapes again as he's not quite got the character down just yet.

What the hell was that? This is how we do the Orton turn? So much for Orton getting added to stack the deck against Harper/Styles then turning at Mania. Between this and the Bayley nonsense on Raw they've pissed away two decent buildups to what could have been massive "WrestleMania moments".

It's almost as if they were trying to set up everything they were doing at Mania in one go after a few weeks where they had to tread water while Raw got the Fastlane hype out of the way. The show still felt short, but it felt rushed as opposed to properly paced.

I too was hoping for Randy to leave it a bit longer.

I would imagine that Shane decides to postpone AJ's title shot until after Mania to allow (WWE logic) Orton the shot he earnt at the Rumble. AJ (rightfully) will go ballistic leading to Shane vs AJ in which somehow AJ will be portrayed as the heel because WWE babyfaces are dicks.

• Paid Members

It's to be admired they tried something different from the predictable RKO, commentary team pretends it wasn't terribly predictable, combo. However, they just can't help themselves when Bray is involved. The idea is ok, I guess, down the road when Orton and Bray are feuding after 'Mania, but the way they went about it and Orton's dialogue made it all very anti-climactic. As always, with a big Bray angle, they completely overcook the thing to the point it has nearly negated all the good work they put in through the months. Underwhelming is all, to the point the RKO, with the commentary team pretending it wasn't predictable, was probably a better shout.

Orton doing his pose, in front of the fire, was hilariously hammy wrestling. Quite enjoyed that for it's daftness.

• Paid Members

The predicatble RKO out of nowhere as the commentators try to make it look wholly unexpected is surely the most logical and satisfying way to pay something like this off, especially when he'd been spending months giving cheeky little winks behind everybody's backs in a "wait for it, it'll be worth it" way. RKO finally turning on Bray and giving him the RKO in front of 80-odd thousand fans would have been Monday morning's water cooler talk. I guess they can't go overshadowing Reigns/Taker or Lesnar/Goldberg though.

• Paid Members

Thought Bray Wyatt was brilliant trying to sell this angle. Yeah, it was hokey shit but he put everything into selling that it was killing him. He doesn't half deserve better.

Yeah, you're right. Bray always commits to the shite they give him, which is fair play. He's the new Kane.

The predicatble RKO out of nowhere as the commentators try to make it look wholly unexpected is surely the most logical and satisfying way to pay something like this off, especially when he'd been spending months giving cheeky little winks behind everybody's backs in a "wait for it, it'll be worth it" way. RKO finally turning on Bray and giving him the RKO in front of 80-odd thousand fans would have been Monday morning's water cooler talk. I guess they can't go overshadowing Reigns/Taker or Lesnar/Goldberg though.

They maybe fancy saving the RKO pay off for 'Mania? They can have Orton tease it a couple of times in the build to increase the anticipation I guess (watch Orton RKO Bray on the go home show now). I agree, it is far more preferable to what they did, but, as I typed, it's to be admired they actually tried to be creative with the turn this time, even if it was poorly executed and over produced.

Thought they go with Harper as the number one contender, leading to Orton being added to the match to protect the 'kingdom'. Then a couple of weeks of miscommunication leading to the inevitable split at 'Mania.

AJ now sticks out like a sore thumb.

Archived