Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was all up for them being the next Steiner Brothers when I saw them in NXT, but they've come across a lot weaker on the main roster and the long-haired one in particular is anything but "alpha" on the mic. I'd have probably readjusted my perceptions by now though if they'd received more consistent booking since being called up.

• Paid Members

Alpha have suffered in the same way most NXT call-ups have, they get thrown into the mid-card shuffle and given little to nothing to do. It's expected that fans should care about them, because the fans at Full Sail did. WWE need to have another think about how they handle call-ups from developmental- not everyone has the reputation of Samoa Joe so you can't get away with expecting them to be received in the same way. In the past couple of years so many hot NXT acts have debuted on the main roster shows by just turning up out of the blue and then people wonder why they're cold within two months. Those mid-cards are icy waters, it's little wonder these guys aren't as over as they should be.

What doesn't help as well is that they were just in limbo and you got the impression they were waiting to stick a rocket on them on the road to WrestleMania then they won the tag titles too early and there doesn't seem to be that payoff further down the line, so as great as they are as a team its difficult to get into them now that they've won the tag belts, all feels a little too flat for me. 

I'm not knocking them in the ring, they are great athletes with lots of potential, but feel the characters could get a little lost, its easy to say that they don't need characters because of how good they are in the ring, but as a viewer I think it does matter. 

• Paid Members

There are two saving graces for AA. One is that while they've been abandoned at times on Smackdown, they've never been booked to be losers in the way all the other teams are. The second is that the feud with the Usos that was just forgotten is now moving again and both teams look much better for it in just a couple of weeks.

How this situation was allowed to happen, I just don't know. It's clear that SD isn't written by an idiot. Yet one of its biggest assets is ignored frequently. Perhaps a preoccupation with writing something for three women's feuds every week?

No not at all. They're one of the best teams on the roster. They don't need to be character driven. They weren't huge characters on NXT.

they weren't The Rock on NXT but they were allowed to express tons of charisma in NXT. Gables comedic timing was looking worthy of the Angle comparison while Jordan just has an inherent coolness about him

As much as the brand split has been really beneficial for the likes of AJ Styles, Corbin, Strowman, it does feel at times as though they are either dragging feuds out across the year and/or those not in programmes (like AA) are left in no mans land doing very little as the roster is so small so you feel that there is only so much that they can do with what they have so they need to stretch things over 3-4 months and then those not doing much are brought in after a while with very little momentum expecting the fans to buy into that. 

It's a tough juggling act, as you see the likes of Mojo & Apollo Crews in Battle Royales for the world title as the roster is so small in depth, the Wyatt's almost be meaningless and then suddenly are a threat again, but then its refreshing seeing Strowman/Corbin come through from NXT. 

Hopefully with Joe & Nakamura (assuming he makes the switch from NXT) and one or two others it can strengthen both brands. 

No not at all. They're one of the best teams on the roster. They don't need to be character driven. They weren't huge characters on NXT.

they weren't The Rock on NXT but they were allowed to express tons of charisma in NXT. Gables comedic timing was looking worthy of the Angle comparison while Jordan just has an inherent coolness about him
They had some good interviews etc. They were always kept short though. It has never been their strong point. I think the tag division on Smackdown as a whole is fairly weak although they can do it well when they feel like it. Slater and Rhyno worked well when time was put into them. And the Usos looked great last week.

• Awards Moderator

not everyone has the reputation of Samoa Joe so you can't get away with expecting them to be received in the same way.

Huge difference in the introductions though. If you'd never heard of Samoa Joe, him running in to destroy Seth Rollins then getting sit-down interview time is much more memorable than just being a new team in the mix. Booking is everything, and Joe is experienced enough to capitalise on that. Alpha have been in wrestling for about 20 minutes combined and need the creative leg up to help introduce them.

I can't think of anything interesting that they've done since being on Smackdown. At Takeover London they had the most vocal reaction of any crowd I've ever heard. On the blue brand they're not getting the storylines to get over. I think they gave them the belts way too soon. Where do they go now?

EDIT: on the same note they've blown one of their biggest potential storylines by just handing Bayley the belt with no fanfare. Three to six months of her chasing the belt and either just coming up short, getting cheated on and being in tears would be an epic moment, especially if that builds to WrestleMania properly. I cannot fathom why you wouldn't do that with Bayley, she's a sympathy-magnet with built-in angles for her childhood dreams and young fanbase.

Archived