Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Shaemus vs Ryback this week is bloody fantastic.

Shaemus is so good at bringing out the best in people, especially larger wrestlers and how can you not love The Big Guy? His giant flop from the top rope was wonderful.

I really liked Sheamus vs Ryback and Goldust vs Bray Wyatt this week. Although Sheamus has been back less than a fortnight and he's already just a bloke who has decent matches in the upper midcard. Very damp squib of a return, and it's a shame that him vs Ryback for the first time meant nothing. The Shield match was good, too, and the promos with them and the Wyatts.

2014 should not have shitty Christian vs shitty Orton in main events. I skipped to the last few minutes and had to laugh at them just doing the same finish they did in 2011. Pathetic, lazy filler when a fresh, interesting main event segment would have made this a really good show.

Loving that the showing of the stuff that goes on during the US commercial breaks meant we got to see Orton go on the house mic to try to rile the crowd up in this week's main event.

This show was the best Smackdown I've seen in ages, all of the matches were damn good.

It's sad that his value is lower than ever right now, because his current character work is arguably better than ever. Love his trash talking and he's hilarious on Twitter.

The two things are related though, really. The character he does now wouldn't have existed had he not been murdered at Hell in a Cell 2012 and then had his corpse bummed for the next six months. He's good enough that he might end up back in the title hunt, but only in the same sense that Barrett or Ziggler or Jericho could be. As a supporting character to a superstar champion or flat feud, rather than a difference-maker. I wonder what his meathead makes of Ice Cream Phil knobbing off. The bloke who his original main event push was killed for, and who his awesome bully gimmick was killed for a year later, has gone home in a strop. And Ryback's still there, chugging along.

• Paid Members

Its pretty shit in a way that they made him into this Goldberg type, when in fact he's not scared of the mic at all and he's got far more about him that a lot of the stiffs on the WWE roster. He's got some personality there. Goldberg has natural charisma in the same way Brock does, where they are big scary blokes who may not be good on the mic, but they have this believability about them. But Ryback's got a sense of fun about him, which is quite funny. And he looks like a scary monster. If they'd have let him loose on the mic a bit, maybe people wouldn't have been chanting "Goldberg" at him. If he'd have spoke a bit more, maybe they wouldn't have seen him as Goldberg version 2.

But as Pitcos say, the fact the audience has discovered that Ryback isn't a brain dead loony is more because of them trying to harm him than WWE trying to get us to see his personality. There's no way back for him now, though.

• Paid Members

Roman Reigns Superman Punch/Spear combo on Ziggler, only to tag Ambrose in to let him have the pin was just wonderful this week.

Quite enjoyed the Kane/Daniel Bryan segment too. This whole story makes so much more sense with Bryan than with Punk. That they rightly avoided any Team Hell No feud when they initially broke up makes it all the more right to do now.

Have to second everybody on the Ryback love as well, he's just brilliant in his current character.

I haven't seen much of SmackDown but who's face and who's heel in the Prime Time Players feud and who would be in line for the bigger push?

Young is the face. I'd imagine Titus is the one they want to push but too early to tell. Shame early, I actually wanted to see Titus get a singles face run.

• Paid Members

Really bloody good episode this week. No real storyline/angle/character development but in terms of wrestling it was a great night. All the matches were utterly superb. Cesaro shined bright in his main eventer test-run against Orton tonight. Ryback and Titus were loads of fun too. It's easy to see why the PPV system is dying when we are getting so much high quality wrestling for free every week.

Really bloody good episode this week. No real storyline/angle/character development but in terms of wrestling it was a great night. All the matches were utterly superb. Cesaro shined bright in his main eventer test-run against Orton tonight. Ryback and Titus were loads of fun too. It's easy to see why the PPV system is dying when we are getting so much high quality wrestling for free every week.

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed Smackdown this week, probably more than normal considering I didn't really fast-forward my way through any of it barring the recaps. I thought that the Orton/Cesaro main event was superb and it was great to see the Swiss Superman get the win. However, all these Orton losses are convincing me that he's retaining the belt at Elimination Chamber which is something I don't want, despite Orton's solid ring-work. The rest of the card was also enjoyable with other highlights being Ryback hitting himself in the head and barking "Stupid! Stupid!" and Darren Young ripping off Titus' trousers.

Archived