Smackdown Discussion Thread

At this rate I'd imagine nobody will give a shit about Shield vs Wyatt's by the time Mania rolls around. If you really need to do a 12 man tag (you really shouldn't need to) why not just do a 12 man tag? Why have the awful DQ false ending for the tag match and other pointless fannying about to set it up? Why have the once strong Shield look like they're on the ropes when you didn't need to? Why the Why do we have GMs and Authority Figures still, in 2013? Fuck off. WWE's complacency firing on all cylinders. And so much for that "I like how they're maintaining Bray's aura" shite I came out with the other day.

Got to laugh at Xavier Woods jobbing to Brodus Clay already.

I like that they've started doing these things with Titus 'O Neil. Do one that isn't complete dogshit and you might have something with him.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

At this rate I'd imagine nobody will give a shit about Shield vs Wyatt's by the time Mania rolls around. If you really need to do a 12 man tag (you really shouldn't need to) why not just do a 12 man tag? Why have the awful DQ false ending for the tag match and other pointless fannying about to set it up?

Because it's only Smackdown. In theory, I don't mind the idea of Vickie taking charge of the interference and putting the involved parties in a bigger match, but when these same pricks are doing the same thing every week, it's like a hell that never ends. I'm hoping that going an hour on this show was the last hurrah of the Pointless Shield Tag Match era. I'm fully expecting a rematch on Raw though.

Harper and Rowan shouldn't be getting beat like this. And really, CM Punk looks knackered enough that he shouldn't even be wrestling on Smackdown.

Brodus Clay's new deluded gimmick might be alright, though.

• Paid Members

So, in the space of 5 days Titus O'Neil has become the worst thing in all of wrestling. I never watch Smackdown, but I had to watch this fucking thing to see if it was as bad as it sounds. And it was. Christ. Vomit in wrestling is never good. A few weeks ago I was listening to the Observer or the Torch (cant remember which) where they said Vince doesn't have any confidence in Titus and doesn't see shit in him. They aren't half making that obvious. He's a full Brodus Clay now. Maybe now they are trying to make Brodus into Earthquake, they need a new joke character on the shows. The only way you could have made that angle good is if Vince got on the house mic and said "he's gonna ... he's ... he's gonna puke, he's gonna puke ... ahhhh!"

I do hope they do something with Brodus. I still pine for the bloke who did that great promo on NXT. He's got it in him to be a good uppercard jobber to the stars. Like Ryback without the expectations.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I dunno, Michael Cole getting covered in vomit is fairly amusing.

O'Neil made the best out of a pretty difficult segment on Raw. He was quite funny and got some decent mic time. Here he is doing a pretty decent promo in February (ad blocks ready, it's on daily motion). 90% of the roster wishes they had that kind of delivery. Yes, he's pretty limited in the ring, but that hasn't stopped them before.

• Paid Members

Titus O Neil isn't amazing by any stretch, but he's more comfortable on the mic than a good fair chunk of the roster. I found him pretty funny on Smackdown, mostly whenever he got hit with a move and would have that bloated look on his face.

Have to admit, that plate full of turkey legs for the censor graphic cracked me up.

Titus probably could have done alright in another era. They would have found a way to work around his weakness in ring. He doesn't stand a chance when everyone is expected to go at it for 20 mins like the Shield or Sheamus or CM Punk, or everyone else. I'd just be happy if they sacked off the matador shite and pushed the PTP's again.

Have to admit, that plate full of turkey legs for the censor graphic cracked me up.

Titus probably could have done alright in another era. They would have found a way to work around his weakness in ring. He doesn't stand a chance when everyone is expected to go at it for 20 mins like the Shield or Sheamus or CM Punk, or everyone else.

In fairness, now could be an easier time than ever to get over by doing something other than twenty minute matches. My problem with his segments on Raw and Smackdown this week is that, like most TV matches, they lasted about five times longer than they should have. Sicking in JBL's hat could have been the punchline, job done, go to an advert for the spring tour or whatever. But half an hour later he's still staggering around throwing up on Zeb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Seth Rollins vs John Cena. Sensational match. Like really fucking good. I reckon Seth Rollins is going to breakout this year. His personality reminds me so much of Bret Hart in the early 90s in a sense that even though he isn't there is terms of promo ability (Bret's shit was really basic in the early 90s), he's exudes confidence when he's in the ring. I think people would really like him for it if he turned babyface. He believes in his ability in the ring to the point where that in itself is a sort of charisma. Not that he's a bad promo or anything, because I tend to think he's quite underrated. He's not on the level of a CM Punk, but its not hiding in the background. He'll carry his weight if he's called upon. I really like him. I quite liked him in Ring of Honor to tell you the truth. I could see a Rollins vs Ambrose feud doing well in 2014.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

An Ambrose/Rollins feud definitely makes sense to me, I've always thought Rollins will make a natural babyface and there's no way Ambrose will. You'd imagine when they spilt Reigns will automatically go for bigger fish. Rollins has impressed me immensely since he debuted in The Shield- I was expecting a lot from the other two (who duly delivered) but not so much from Rollins- but I think he's brilliant. He certainly has the ability and he is also a good promo- which also surprised me.

Rollins vs Cena was incredible. One of Cena's best from this year which says lot for Rollins. Exciting stuff with lots of awesome counters. Best Shield singles by far. I'm not sure why the other two Shield matches were tossed out on this show. Big E vs Ambrose and especially Reigns vs Henry is everything I hate about this fucking company.

Add me to the Rollins gang bang. I was never a fan of Tyler Black, hardly saw him tbh except a match with Bryan Danielson. So I also expected little from him when The Shield came in.

It would be fair to say that Rollins has been the glue holding together The Shield in-ring.

Given how 3 hour RAWs have relied on Shield six man's, and Rollins has been doing most of the work... he may well be WWE TV's MVP of the year.

Add in MOTYC's with Daniel Bryan and John Cena... yeah, Seth Rollins is firmly in my Fav Five right now.

Edited by aaron

It's incredible just how much graft The Shield have put in this year in the ring. They've been a total spine for the company match wise - especially in a year where any actual story driven angles seemed to flirt on obliviously behind the endless long running angle of everyone-fights-each-other-in-great-TV-matches-all-the-time. SmackDown this week I'm pretty sure had more matches than the conventional PPV structure of 8. I lost count halfway through. It sounds like the ultimate smarky turnabout but there really is way too much fucking wrestling on the shows these days. Apart from one promo in the second segment from Cena and one or two instances of Kane doing his man that is talking gimmick the entire show was match after match after match.

The ring bell is gunning for Hall Of Fame at this point. It's fine if SmackDown is to be produced and conceived as some meaningless Raw hangover watched by kids and adults who really do watch too much wrestling but for Raw the show really needs more variety and story driven pacing. Not in some 1999 car crash way but you know ... just in some way.