The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

54 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

Have they got clearance for the 'Broken' gimmick with Anthem now? If so could see some spot in the cage match where Matt takes a big bump from the top or something and hits his head becoming 'Broken'. 

Nobody seems to be completely clear, but I imagine they'll find some way around it. I'm shocked they haven't just gone for 'Shattered' or some variant therein.

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I love a bit of Finn Balor, but he's a terrible talker isn't he?

He's better now than he has been, but yeah, he's not great. Stumbling and all sorts. It's a good job he's got the Demon thing or he'd be on 205 Live by now I'd reckon.

Didn't like the Heyman Balor segment. Heyman dismisses 4 of the guys in the contenders match, going in on Rollins in particular with the "freakin" stuff (mocking that shitty slogan will always pop me though), then he practically sucks Balor off. Just didn't feel natural in the slightest. Also takes some of the intrigue out of the match as it's fairly obvious that's the direction they're gonna go in now 

Enjoyed the Goldust segment. 

If Elias Samson keeps up his bad singing, we've got a mega heel. Can't wait. 

Other than that, fairly tepid episode 

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, scotswizard said:

Go through the movie channels, your FOX's, your Sky Atlantics etc, have a good look at what is on TV at that time and listen to the language the actors use and look at what some shows do with violence and of course sexuality and when they're done doing that try and see why people aren't watching wrestling anymore.

Does "wrestling" fit anywhere into this business model for how to improve RAW?

Of course it does, that lets them see what is on TV at the same time as Raw and how other shows handle their characters and the things they do and the way they act and speak. The WWE changing the way their wrestlers act and speak would absolutely improve the show.

Is Balor going to be the only one to get the personal Heyman endorsement on the road to ER, then? Or will he bring up Lesnar's past history with Rollins too for example.

Edited by zep81

• Paid Members

It's not about watching how characters speak and act on other TV shows, it's that wrestlers aren't actors. Don't send them out there struggling to remember a script.

Letting wrestlers swear more, and making the show more violent and sexually explicit - which seems to be the crux of your point - doesn't make the show better. Making a show more "adult" doesn't automatically make up for shoddy writing, lazy booking and inconsistent storytelling. The Attitude Era wasn't more exciting because more people were allowed to say "ass" and because Sable got some hands painted on her tits, it was because the product, and the wider wrestling world, was considerably more dynamic than it is now.

Some of the best TV shows and movies in the world, and most of the best stories ever written, didn't have to be post-watershed to pull it off. They just needed someone capable of remembering the basics and writing a good story.

I never said it did make it better but the fact is it's on at night time and night time is when adults watch TV and if you're gonna put a wrestling show on where no one swears, no one bleeds, no one sells any moves then you might aswell put it on at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. It's not child's play. WWE sticks out like a sore thumb compared to other programming. It's not that all those things make the show better but if you're not a wrestling fan how long are you gonna watch it before changing the channel? Scripts or no scripts listen to the wrestlers, no one talks like that in real life. Stories? There are none. It's just angry wrestler A vs angry wrestler B.

You're absolutely right about the best TV shows in the world having the best stories ever written. You are 100% right on the money. It is about the stories and wrestling used to be about stories. Wrestling used to be about 2 people disliking each other for reasons other than a belt or just showing up to the arena angry. I don't think anyone in the McMahon family including Triple H has any clue as to what is on TV nowdays. Not a clue. I think their jaws would drop if they seen if they what was on TV at the same time as Raw and the kind of things that can be done on TV now. People today are smarter than ever. TV is arguably where the best actors are, where the best writing is, TV used to be a step down from the big screen, now the small screen is where the action is so you imagine all those millions of people with Sky or cable and then add Netflix onto it and then you watch WWE or TNA and it's like  a time warp, it just doesn't fit in anymore, people are so used to such high quality on TV that mainstream wrestling just doesn't  cut it anymore and I've no doubts that if mainstream wrestling embraced the entertainment again, embraced the pantomime aspects of wrestling and focused on big characters, big storylines, over the top stuff that is so fantastical they absolutely could draw in large numbers of viewers, that's what TV should be about, big larger than life characters, stories that twist and turn. It should be like that. It doesn't need to be completely based in reality, it should be like a soap opera, like a movie but the WWE wants to go the other way and the more they go the other way the more people stop watching. That's not pro wrestling.

• Paid Members

I've no doubts that if mainstream wrestling embraced the entertainment again, embraced the pantomime aspects of wrestling and focused on big characters, big storylines, over the top stuff that is so fantastical they absolutely could draw in large numbers of viewers

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but half the time you're arguing that wrestling isn't believable enough ("they look like anyone could beat them up", "no one sells"), and now you're suggesting it needs to be more over the top and fantastical. It starts to sound a lot like "a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots".

Wrestlers need to look the part on TV. They need to be larger than life, they need to look good, they should be in shape, they should be well built and yes I would prefer them to be tall. They need to look believable. You need to believe that they could beat you up for real, that when they say they wanna fight you believe it. What about George The Animal Steele? Jake Roberts? Not big muscle heads by any means but they look like they could hurt you. One chews the turnbuckles and one carries a snake in his bag. Best of both worlds. Randy Savage was the same. The music, the outfits, the posing and over the top way he would speak which no one would ever do in real life, yet he looked the part, he looked like a big burly man that could hurt you if he wanted to. Wrestling can and has played both sides for many years. And believable? I believed everything they did.

So wrestling absolutely can be over the top and glitzy and wacky and still be entirely believable that these men and women dislike each other and they really are fighting it out in the ring.

16 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Nobody seems to be completely clear, but I imagine they'll find some way around it. I'm shocked they haven't just gone for 'Shattered' or some variant therein.

That just makes it sound like he's tired. If Russo was still around, he'd be in a Horlicks On A Pole Match while scotswizard tugs off Vinny Ru in the back screaming "be honest with me bro!" 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, scotswizard said:

Wrestlers need to look the part on TV. They need to be larger than life, they need to look good, they should be in shape, they should be well built and yes I would prefer them to be tall. They need to look believable. You need to believe that they could beat you up for real, that when they say they wanna fight you believe it. What about George The Animal Steele? Jake Roberts? Not big muscle heads by any means but they look like they could hurt you. One chews the turnbuckles and one carries a snake in his bag. Best of both worlds. Randy Savage was the same. The music, the outfits, the posing and over the top way he would speak which no one would ever do in real life, yet he looked the part, he looked like a big burly man that could hurt you if he wanted to. Wrestling can and has played both sides for many years. And believable? I believed everything they did.

So wrestling absolutely can be over the top and glitzy and wacky and still be entirely believable that these men and women dislike each other and they really are fighting it out in the ring.

I disagree with the idea that wrestlers "need" to be big, larger than life characters. Steve Austin got over, we're always told, not through being larger than life but through telling a story that the audience could relate to - he was a working man who hated his boss. Being able to relate to somebody is just as much a selling point as somebody being a big, colourful superhero.

Particularly given that you're complaining that wrestling today is too geared towards kids, it's odd that you're arguing for the return of a style of character even more aimed at that market. You talk about adults flicking through the channels at 8pm - do you think an adult flicking through the channels looking for something to watch, torn between watching Game of Thrones or the West Wing, would settle on a multi-coloured Randy Savage promo?

Not to mention that the channel-hopper by and large doesn't exist any more. That's not how people consume TV - it's all boxsets and OnDemand now.

People - these hypothetical channel-hopping adults - watch, or are at least aware of, UFC now. They know that in a real fight, the bloke with the perma-tan and the bulging muscles probably isn't actually much cop. They know that you don't need to be a big hulking behemoth to win a fight and that, actually, the little wiry looking bloke probably stands more of a chance. Of the top 10 highest drawing UFC fighters of all time, the majority are not heavyweights - Conor McGregor is the biggest draw of all time, and making considerably more money than anyone in WWE, yet if he were in WWE, he'd be one of the smallest men in the Cruiserweight division.

The idea that you have to be a big tall fucker for the audience to find it believable that you'd win a fight is nonsense.

Even in wrestling, there are no absolutes. There have been huge draws that never "looked" the part, and there have been countless 6'8" 300lb wash-outs.

Edited by BomberPat