The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Bryan vs Brock was a dream match of mine for ages, but I was put off the idea after Lesnar absolutely destroyed John Cena in that extended squash match for the title at SummerSlam. At that point I just couldn't buy a returning Daniel Bryan as any sort of threat to him, or any other babyface on the roster for that matter. When you win a match in that sort of fashion on the back of ending the Undertaker's streak people begin to question who could possibly be built up to offer a credible challenge. It was actually a very exciting scenario, it had been years and years since anybody had looked so dominant and unbeatable. The thought of Lesnar eventually being toppled in a WrestleMania main event was pretty mouth watering.

Fortunately WWE took the easy way out of that conundrum and instead of building up a strong challenger to battle the monster and become the new top man in the company, they have simply knocked Brock down a peg or two to the point where he looks far less a monster than he did six months ago. Suddenly, Bryan vs Lesnar looks an entirely realistic prospect. Well played WWE!

• Paid Members

I can totally see Bryan posing a threat to Brock, more so than anyone other than perhaps Reigns.

In kayfabe terms, Bryan is dominant (except against Wyatt, who has been very protected in his bouts). He beat HHH and then later in the same night Orton and Batista with plenty of interference from The Authority against him. He beat Cena clean. Reigns is a good bet as somebody that can stop Brock too, but why isn't Bryan believable? He can beat anyone on his day and has proved it.

And it has the markings of being an absolute classic. Bryan can have a brilliant match with anyone and does the 'big guy/small guy' match very well (I recall a really good match VS Big Show on Smackdown a couple of years ago) and Brock can have a field day throwing someone much smaller around. You can see Bryan firing up more and more after each suplex and the crowd going nuts. God, I hope it happens.

Yeah, last year would have been Bryan getting squashed at SummerSlam then taking time off for his injuries, Cena (probably) getting squashed at Night of Champions, building to a rematch with one or both of them at the Rumble tomorrow, which Brock would have won and then gone on to lose to Reigns at WrestleMania.

I'm well up for Bryan vs Lesnar. But the thing is, if Roman Reigns spends the next twelve months just fuckarsing about as a midcard/just-below-top role, he could be Sheamus or Barrett by 2016. WWE doing a stop-start with him will put him in no position to win the Rumble next year. If they lose their bottle with him this year, they've got to be very careful about how they handle him going forward -- they can't just slot his name into the random match generator to fill time. Doing fifteen minute back-and-forths with Kane and Cesaro every show for months on end is only going to hurt his prospects.

You could argue that they tried to make a star last year in Cesaro

Not on the same level. Cesaro winning the battle royal was basically on par with a King of the Ring win. They've backed the wrong horse with King of the Ring before, so he was just another Mabel and Billy Gunn. It's a different ballgame to someone coming out of WrestleMania winning their first world title in the main event.

• Paid Members

I'm well up for Bryan vs Lesnar. But the thing is, if Roman Reigns spends the next twelve months just fuckarsing about as a midcard/just-below-top role, he could be Sheamus or Barrett by 2016. WWE doing a stop-start with him will put him in no position to win the Rumble next year. If they lose their bottle with him this year, they've got to be very careful about how they handle him going forward -- they can't just slot his name into the random match generator to fill time. Doing fifteen minute back-and-forths with Kane and Cesaro every show for months on end is only going to hurt his prospects.

This is my big fear. I really think it's now or never. Reigns doesn't have the support to overcome it. He's not a Punk or Bryan who's fans will stick by them, make a whole lot of noise on the internet and get very excited the minute they get a glimmer of hope. Reigns' audience are by and large the people who put money in WWE's pocket. They'll attach themselves to the next guy quickly.

That audience will, by and large, believe what you tell them.

I do enjoy this debate though. The fact that I could make an argument for any of the guys coming out of the title match with the belt and for Reigns and Bryan and, to a lesser extent Rusev and Ambrose, winning the Rumble makes it all quite interesting.

This is unlikely because we have heels making the decisions and Lesnar appeared to turn last week but having Bryan get screwed out of the Rumble could set-up Lesnar/Bryan at Fast Lane while saving Reigns for the winner at WM. That would give a holding PPV a fantastic main event.

None of my posts on this are meant to slight Bryan by the way. I really, really like him. I just think theyve made him a genuine star and they should be focusing on another one. Bryan/Reigns will then be a great rivalry sometime soon.

I'm a fan of both Reigns and Bryan but I'd rather they went with Reigns, I think him vs Lesnar would be a great battle of big guys I dont see it going like Lesnar vs Goldberg cos I dont think Lesnar is/would be pissed off when leaving like in 04 so wouldnt put in a lackluster performance and Reigns isnt leaving like Goldberg was so will and has to put everything into the match for the sake of his own future.

I could see Bryan being a risk for wwe if he gets injured again, Lesnars matches are usually physical and he's using the german suplex alot now (ofcourse in the match he doesnt have to) and that could kill Bryans neck again.

Plus as some have said Bryan is a main guy now, Reigns could do with the 'Lesnar Rub' and any help he could get and we the fans need new faces up top asap.

Cesaro winning the battle royal was basically on par with a King of the Ring win. They've backed the wrong horse with King of the Ring before, so he was just another Mabel and Billy Gunn. 

They didn't "back the wrong horse" with Cesaro though. The horse got over, then they shot the horse!

In their defense, the horse was dull as shit and was never going to get further than the mid-card.

No wait, the metaphors been stretched too far.

Either way, Cesaro's a dullard.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

In their defense, the horse was dull as shit and was beer going to get further than the mid-card.

No wait, the metaphors been stretched too far.

Either way, Cesaro's a dullard.

We all have our opinions and are entitled to them, but that doesn't negate facts.

I never really cared for Ryback - a poor man's Goldberg who comes across like an idiot - but I wouldn't deny that he got really over and they fucked up the booking. Wade Barrett went from being the hottest heel in the company as the evil Nexus leader to one of the midcards most boring and worn out acts thanks to a complete lack of character development or interest from creative. It was only pure luck that someone backstage found his "Bad News" act funny and gave him another shot. The wrestlers can only do so much.

But they're bad examples.

Cesaro quantifiably lacks charisma. He doesn't fill a screen, he doesn't exude an aura nor does he talk well at all. He's a brilliant wrestler but doesn't project himself well at all.

Ryback, for example, is limited in ring but that is far easier to cover up than it is to cover for someone who's not good on television in a television show. Charisma isn't just talking and Ryback had that Goldberg-ish charisma where he commanded the attention of the audience and the camera. Even when he stumbled over a line, or said something stupid, viewers still knew it was a guy who could fucking murder you if you told him so. He has that golden ingredient, regardless of what he's lacking elsewhere, where he has a genuine aura that translates in a live environment and through into people's homes.

Even before they hammered the final nail in his coffin he waded through a shitstorm of naff booking and still had a superstars aura. To even be where he is today is a testament to his natural charisma. WWE has a history of bad booking for even it's biggest stars, it's having that little bit of something extra that'll see you through. Booking alone can't derail you completely. If you are completely reliant on the book, and not your personality and audience connection, you're fucked before you even start.

Wrestling will only get you so far. Where else could you go with Ceasaro? Once you take him into the deep waters of the top of the card, he'd need to carry actual storylines, to convey actual emotions and to project his personality to viewers to make them want to see him win titles and feuds.

Cesaro got over with the section of the crowd for whom wrestling is enough. Same with Punk/Bryan, only they had enough of the other stuff to go over the top.

Cesaro is interchangeable with a tonne of other guys who can do the athletic stuff and none of the other.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

d-d-d-dAz, I really don't mean to ignore your points, but honestly you seem to have missed the major point I was making...

Cesaro WAS over. Regardless of whether you (or me, or Vince or whoever) thinks he's super average or rubbish or brilliant or anything else, he already got over. He had floundered with rubbish lower-card gimmicks on Smackdown for ages and hadn't shown a whole lot outside the ring, but for some reason the combination of the break-up with Swagger, his amazing feats of in-ring strength, the giant swing and a handful of great performances in one-on-one matches with Bryan and Cena got him over.

He was a red-hot prospect after Mania and they utterly fucked it up. They gave him shitter music, stopped him doing the Giant Swing (that was super over), made him a second-tier heel for his own Manager to practically ignore and then he lost to everyone.

If the bloke had never once drawn a reaction they you might have a point, but he was a real breakout possibility around last year's Wrestlemania because the fans were just getting behind the bloke, then he was abruptly derailed. Imagine if just as the people had been getting behind Ryback he had been told "OK, no more saying Feed Me More and drop the Meat-hook clothesline. Oh, and you are losing to Titus O'Neil tonight. 3 minutes".