The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

Not surprising considering their results this calendar year, let alone this season although in fairness, Boro don't seem to be spending anywhere near as much money as in years gone by. They don't really seem to have promotion ambitions now but the way things are going, this is starting to look like a relegation battle.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not a great surprise that Mowbray was sacked, he seemed to have lost the dressing room during January where we dropped like a stone. His reign has been infuriating, we played in patches where we looked like we could be a competent Premier League club, then we would go on a run where it would look unlikely we would score.

The new favourite to take the Boro helm is Mike Phelan, we didn't do too badly the last time we had a United assistant manager take on the manager role....

Feel sorry for Mogga, he did really well in bringing back the 3-5-2 into vogue that others have copied (yes you, Steve Bruce) and taken on to greater heights. However, they got him Adomah, Butterfield and Kamara, they lost fringe players in the summer and thus it seems they expected more.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So glad Wolves dodged the bullet of Sean O'Driscoll, granted we hired Dean Fucking Saunders, but from that we've landed on our feet with Kenny Jackett.

Can't believe the Barker dismissal, yeah they've not had the results, but as I've already mentioned in this thread, they play fantastic football and Barker must be intrinsic to that football. They sit 12th, would more than likely come out of whatever funk they're experiencing, just find sacking the manager here harsh and slightly kneejerk. They are Crawley Town for Christ's sake, 12th in League One is bloody good going.

I'd take Richie Barker as a leading coach to work with Jackett in a heartbeat if he can help instill the on the ground passing game Crawley brought to Wolves this season.

• Paid Members

SOD off, confirmed. John Pemberton is caretaker with Steve Cotterill the current fave to take over.

So glad Wolves dodged the bullet of Sean O'Driscoll

Quite a few people are of the opinion that you could put Guardiola at City and he'd still crash because of the board.

SOD off, confirmed. John Pemberton is caretaker with Steve Cotterill the current fave to take over.

So glad Wolves dodged the bullet of Sean O'Driscoll

Quite a few people are of the opinion that you could put Guardiola at City and he'd still crash because of the board.

Sadly, I follow City much less closely than I used to, but I'm not keen on Steve Cotterill being the next manager. Who would be the other City fans preferred appointments?

We've axed Dave Jones

Was on the cards for weeks now after just 1 win all season and even goes beyond that as we won only 1 of the last 6 or so games last season and even that was on the last day of the season vs an already safe Middlesborough

Pearce is Bookies no1 choice with Di Canio in 2nd

Di Canio could really go either way, he is remembered fondly for his playing career at Wednesday despite the way it ended and had decent success with Swindon though our job comes with much more pressure and we saw how that turned out at Sunderland.

Holloway would be a great choice but how likely I don't know

Two games in, I know it means nothing, but I think David Flitcroft is on borrowed time. The parameters under which Barnsley work requires a creative transfer policy. Keith Hill was pretty good at finding players with fixable problems for a while but ran out of road when those players didn't become available. Given they sacked Hill, if this continues, Flitcroft will be gone too.

I disagree. The end of last season bought him plenty of time to get things right. There's been plenty of changes behind the scenes over the summer at board level and he's ben a big part of it. He's not finished his transfer business yet, and he's spoken about bringing a striker or two in before Saturday - which is what we need. Sure we've lost two in two, but take away a freak own goal in the 94th minute, it would have been a good point on Saturday away at Blackpool. The Wigan result was a write off, man gets sent off after an hour, and one of the best sides in the division takes advantage.

I'll come back to you after fifteen games and see where we are.

I don't disagree, Max. However, I'm not sure that Barnsley have ever shown patience with a manager in the Championship. Andy Ritchie, Simon Davey and Keith Hill were all booted because of poor starts to the season and in every case you could understand the logic. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to Flitcroft. Having 10,000 crowds and a desire to break even every year in a division where Leicester lose tens of millions a season requires patience and an acceptance that relegation is an occupational hazard. However, Barnsley's board don't seem to include the manager in the plan.

You're not wrong of course, and maybe I've just got red tinted glasses on myself in thinking this'll be different. That's why Robins left too - wanted more money and we just don't have it. It'd be an absolute disaster if we did go down, the crowds would have and there would be no way we'd come straight back up.

Well fuck me Mikey, what's the lottery numbers for three months next Saturday?

Well Flitcroft has gone, and I've got mixed feelings. As mentioned previously, the performances of last season should have bought him some time this season, but something has changed. The high tempo pressure football has disappeared and the desire to attack has vanished too. It's like we have forgotten everything that made us relatively successful in the spring and have started playing the kind of football that got Keith Hill sacked about a year ago. Goalie passes to full back, full back to centre half, centre half to defensive midfielder, defensive midfielder back to full back, full back back to goalie, rinse and repeat. And repeat. We've got a squad of about forty, and they're all much of a muchness. The good young players are been loaned out and replaced by loaners who are no better that what we've got.

As for who to bring in? Fuck knows. Listening to the local phone in on Saturday night was amusing yet mildly ridiculous. Fans wanting Holloway, Warnock, Phelan or Neville. What they were smoking has not yet been worked out. Realistically I don't know. I think we should write off this season personally and try and build for the future. We've a decent youth set up and long term we need to be investing in this youth, otherwise this time next year we'll be having the same discussion after we've sacked Danny Wilson or that prick Appleton.

The sacking of Dave Jones has fucked us too indirectly because out of work managers would rather take the job at Wednesday as they've got more money, bigger crowds and fa base and are an all round bigger club. The same probably applies up at Wigan too - although they're a bit further away geographically.

In conclusion, I'm depressed.

Well fuck me Mikey, what's the lottery numbers for three months next Saturday?

Well Flitcroft has gone, and I've got mixed feelings. As mentioned previously, the performances of last season should have bought him some time this season, but something has changed. The high tempo pressure football has disappeared and the desire to attack has vanished too. It's like we have forgotten everything that made us relatively successful in the spring and have started playing the kind of football that got Keith Hill sacked about a year ago. Goalie passes to full back, full back to centre half, centre half to defensive midfielder, defensive midfielder back to full back, full back back to goalie, rinse and repeat. And repeat. We've got a squad of about forty, and they're all much of a muchness. The good young players are been loaned out and replaced by loaners who are no better that what we've got.

As for who to bring in? Fuck knows. Listening to the local phone in on Saturday night was amusing yet mildly ridiculous. Fans wanting Holloway, Warnock, Phelan or Neville. What they were smoking has not yet been worked out. Realistically I don't know. I think we should write off this season personally and try and build for the future. We've a decent youth set up and long term we need to be investing in this youth, otherwise this time next year we'll be having the same discussion after we've sacked Danny Wilson or that prick Appleton.

The sacking of Dave Jones has fucked us too indirectly because out of work managers would rather take the job at Wednesday as they've got more money, bigger crowds and fa base and are an all round bigger club. The same probably applies up at Wigan too - although they're a bit further away geographically.

In conclusion, I'm depressed.

I'd love to call myself some sort of footballing prophet but some clubs have fallen into a sad sort of patttern, Barnsley being one of them. There's not the money to kick the team on and they're not developing players that can push out their first teamers. As a result, given they've been in relegation trouble for eight seasons on the trot, they're prime candidates for the drop. Time and again, they've banked on the new manager bounce to get them out of trouble. I'm not sure if the pendulum swings from iron fist to velvet glove to get this result, although I know Hill was very strict, but the effect doesn't last long.

Nobody wanted it last time and that's why they turned to Flitcroft. Given Micky Mellon's stayed behind, I only assume he fancies himself for the job. If he gets some decent results, he'll be the next Barnsley manager. Other than that, if you're a lower league club within 75 miles and your guy has a pedigree of relative success, lock up your managers. Beyond that, Alan Knill. They love managers who did OK with Rotherham.

Who'd seriously take the Sheffield Wednesday job? It's the equivalent of pushing a heavy boulder up a mountain. I'd suggest that if Dave Jones can't make a go of that job then the problem really isn't the manager.

Archived