The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To be fair they have been very stagnant under him for the last few years but he did well with a smaller budget and bringing the young lads through. It is harsh but he's had a long time in the job and with the resources the board are willing to offer (not much) he looked unlikely to ever get them promoted. Pretty sure Pulis will get the job.

• Paid Members

Yeah, harsh perhaps but they've not really progressed much in the last few years always winding up somewhere in mid-table. Considering the size of the infrastructure there and the resources he's had to work with, perhaps it could be said that he's under-achieved. Then again, the club was on it's arse during Paul Jewell's tenure, so maybe Clough should be commended form coming in and steadying the ship in the manner he did.

There's real potential there at Derby, and the right appointment might even see them push for promotion this year.

This is a tough sacking to work out which side to come down on. They're one of these clubs unwilling to spend big money in a league full of clubs desperate to get to or back to the Premier League. As a result, they have been stagnant. Clough got the job and worked under very tough parameters, relying on loans and free transfers whilst getting rid of high earners. However, two summers ago, the board decided to put a little money in and he looked like he'd cracked it. Davies and Robinson were banging them in and this squad that Clough had spent years building was finally coming to bloom. However, the aforementioned strikers got injured and they ended up scrambling to 12th, despite going 30% over budget to try and get in the playoffs.

Last summer, the net spend was half that and he spent a sizeable fee, 1.2m, on Conor Sammon who is clearly rubbish and has always been clearly rubbish. Chris Martin's loan essentially saved the season. This summer, they signed Martin on a free but they ultimately turned a 1m transfer profit as well as a number of clear "wage dump" loans of players who hadn't worked out. Personally, I think this points to the chairman losing faith in Nigel over the long term, at least the last two seasons, to be the guy who can ultimately move them up a level. He was incredibly unlucky two season ago, a pre-injury Steven Davies had the potential to be a genuine 20-25 a season goalscorer that is ultimately the difference between mid-table and playoffs and playoffs and automatic promotion. However, this is clearly the culmination of long-held fears about Clough coming to fruition. It feels to me that they wanted McClaren all along and given they had to move on him now, they pulled the trigger on Clough.

• Paid Members

As someone who has a bit of a fixation with Cloughie and Peter Taylor, i've perversely had a soft spot for both Derby and Forest, as off as that sounds. Some great points raised by Mikey but McClaren really is a throw of the dice type appointment. With Clough Jr. they were pretty much stuck on a 3-4, McClaren could turn out to be anything between 1 and a 6.

Going back to my post, I agree with the idea that this is a throw of the dice. However, there's a knock-on effect of a manager getting sacked, which is that the pool of available managers will likely get a little smaller. The Clough situation has clearly been rumbling on, sacking him wasn't suddenly an urgent need, they were genuinely worried somebody else would get McClaren. In doing so, they've flown in the face of conventional wisdom that you give a manager an easy run to get started. However, McClaren gets some time to appraise the squad before the international break, he can still make emergency loans so this is the last point where a manager can make a genuine difference before the transfer window.

Loan market seems to be warming up even further as we have finally reached the point where players that are signed on emergency loans will see clubs through to the transfer window. Danny Fox has gone to Bolton, Jack Collison has gone to Bournemouth, "The Bermondsey Beckham" James Henry has left Millwall for Wolves. Leeds are even trying to get Luciano Becchio back from Norwich. Any others in the pipeline?

• Paid Members

Well happy with Henry coming our way, may be quite foreign seeing the name 'Henry' on the back of a shirt that passes further than 10 yards and forwards!

So far so good at Molineux, not played the greatest football, but we're winning plenty and once the squad clicks will no doubt push on and on.

Orient are on a fantastic run which just can't last surely.

Anyone else see Posh's frontline being snapped up in January?

I hope Orient trip up because I'm not much of a Barry Hearn fan. Their squad isn't necessarily deep. As for Posh, it depends who you mean. They're pretty determined to get back to the Championship and both Barnett and Assombalonga cost in excess of 1m. I can see Celtic coming back in for Tomlin but who would pay them what they'd ask for the other two, especially given what they allegedly got for Gayle? Arguably they overpaid for Barnett, nobody at a higher level who could afford him would go for him at even 1m. Assombalonga just joined and they'd be mad to sell. So no, I don't think I can see them going.

• Paid Members

Posh will be weaker without Tomlin, and I can see him going. As for Assombalonga, if stupid money is offered he'll go, and all it will take is Blackburn wanting more firepower to partner Rhodes, and a big bid may come in.

Orients Odubajo looks like he may be Premiership bound in January too.

I have to say something about League One football, generally it is of a better standard than most Championship games, it's something that's come as a bit of a shock to me to be honest.

Ifs and buts though. I

A few years back, it seemed to be a holy mission to play your way out of the lower divisions. Now, it seems to just be practicality. There's more footballers out there and managers are realising the best way to get a competitive team out there is to play it on the deck. Some teams are still smashing it but far fewer than there were even three or four seasons ago.

Archived