The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

I have a serious question about this. I've made three transfers already, do I have to use the other two within the calendar month or within a genuine month?

Calendar month, but there isnt enough transfers (or at least wasnt) to go through the whole season as you only get 30 or something ridiculous.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two games in, I know it means nothing, but I think David Flitcroft is on borrowed time. The parameters under which Barnsley work requires a creative transfer policy. Keith Hill was pretty good at finding players with fixable problems for a while but ran out of road when those players didn't become available. Given they sacked Hill, if this continues, Flitcroft will be gone too.

I disagree. The end of last season bought him plenty of time to get things right. There's been plenty of changes behind the scenes over the summer at board level and he's ben a big part of it. He's not finished his transfer business yet, and he's spoken about bringing a striker or two in before Saturday - which is what we need. Sure we've lost two in two, but take away a freak own goal in the 94th minute, it would have been a good point on Saturday away at Blackpool. The Wigan result was a write off, man gets sent off after an hour, and one of the best sides in the division takes advantage.

I'll come back to you after fifteen games and see where we are.

I don't disagree, Max. However, I'm not sure that Barnsley have ever shown patience with a manager in the Championship. Andy Ritchie, Simon Davey and Keith Hill were all booted because of poor starts to the season and in every case you could understand the logic. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to Flitcroft. Having 10,000 crowds and a desire to break even every year in a division where Leicester lose tens of millions a season requires patience and an acceptance that relegation is an occupational hazard. However, Barnsley's board don't seem to include the manager in the plan.

You're not wrong of course, and maybe I've just got red tinted glasses on myself in thinking this'll be different. That's why Robins left too - wanted more money and we just don't have it. It'd be an absolute disaster if we did go down, the crowds would have and there would be no way we'd come straight back up.

You're not wrong of course, and maybe I've just got red tinted glasses on myself in thinking this'll be different. That's why Robins left too - wanted more money and we just don't have it. It'd be an absolute disaster if we did go down, the crowds would have and there would be no way we'd come straight back up.

I'm not being down on Barnsley, they're fighting for their lives season-after-season but most clubs come to some sort of understanding that they have the right guy in charge. For instance, Peterborough are in a similar position and after Ferguson left the first time, both manager and club came to an understanding of what they both had in each other. I'm not sure Barnsley have that or have had that for a long time.

• Paid Members

Really hoping Kevin McDonald signs for us (Wolves), heard some great things about him as a creative midfielder and possibly also playing in the hole.

Wolves are hopefully starting to kick on now after the Gillingham game, a nervy opener against Preston which carried over to Morecambe (which I don't think Jackett was even bothering with sadly), but now Griffiths has banged his first of the season, Jackett has settled on Evans to be a starting midfielder and we finally have a back four that plays as a back four with fullbacks supporting our wide men.

As long as they keep it on the deck like they did against Gillingham rather than Preston, I can see us comfotably doing well this year. Griffo top scorer is a good bet.

Strange thing about Wolves has been our transfers in, they all seem to be for our U21 squad, with Antelmi (Aus), Victow Wagner (Den) and now Albert Torras (Spa) with other youngsters (Eusebio for example) being on trial and impressing, they truly are buying to develop for the future.

Just need McDonald to sign for the present, as well as lightly rumoured Nahki Wells, and maybe one or two thers, and I think the dark days are behind us.

Anyone see Wolves' latest 'Toaster' banner, quite epic in it's message, as well as being down with the graffitti artists of the modern day. Will try and get a picture, however my workplace don't allow twitter.

• Paid Members

That's the one, I absolutely adore it and hope the club keep it up for a long long time, however by all accounts the 'designer' (Toaster A I believe) has had to pay for the advertising space which is out and out ridiculous.

Do love how The Toasters Everwhere movement is synonymous with our Club.

• Paid Members
People are beginning to slowly realise SO'D isnt the messiah 1 win in 14 league games and a .90 PPG point average isnt sending the greatest signals. All for change, if it occurs on the pitch rather than the rhetoric. Sadly after 8 months is same old same old, not going well. I predict pain unless we can suddenly get our act in gear. PS Frank Fielding is shit. How did he get an England Callup?

What people? Sorry for the threadshit but you've chosen to completely ignore the (justifiable) torch burning over a nameless defender who was in the starting lineup on Sunday, and the starting lineup of every single game last season where we conceded three goals or more.

Most of the people I'm talking to are giving SOD the benefit of doubt for the moment. And, cliche aside, it's only two games in. And we have our second cup win in six years under our belt.

What people? Sorry for the threadshit but you've chosen to completely ignore the (justifiable) torch burning over a nameless defender who was in the starting lineup on Sunday, and the starting lineup of every single game last season where we conceded three goals or more.

Most of the people I'm talking to are giving SOD the benefit of doubt for the moment. And, cliche aside, it's only two games in. And we have our second cup win in six years under our belt.

I'll be brief

Ziderheads isn't Otib nor is the City List, both have a very different attitude re SO'D (There are a lot of ex OTIB members on Ziderheads) and there is an increasing case of start bloody doing something rather than procrastination as people are getting sick of it. The treatment of one of the fan parliament members didn't go down well either. Furthermore, exiles tend to be more concerned than those in and around Bristol itself, with the French, Scandinavian and exiled UK peeps being more critical than those actually in the area.

I'll certainly not put an ad in Trade-it for the nameless defender, however it is the managers cross to bear in terms of keep picking him. We haven't been solid with or without him either way. 8 points from the last 42 available tells it's own story.

I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand that it will all suddenly come good, based on the evidence available. We have to start getting results on the pitch and performing consistantly or we will have nothing to build on.

SO'D had a similar rut at Donny and that cost him his job there. I dont want to go to 1 win in 22 and we are only 7 off that in terms of league performances having not won at home since March 2013 and away in the league since he's been here (last away win was Dec 2012) especially when we still have many of the same problems that were in place with Millen, McInnes etc indeed SO'D's current record is worse than both of them!

The status quo can't me maintained and another non result vs Wolves and MK Dons may see people become a bit more vocal if we continue to ship goals as we have been doing.

Probably nothing to do with this thread, but I didn't know Rushden & Diamonds were totally liquidated up. I remember them having quite a lot of money, for a non-league team, in Champ Man. Oh well.

Afaik, and not studied closely in years Rushden and Diamonds, much like Boston (though without the tax irregularities(, massively overspent on promotion from the Conference to League 1. The ground wasnt huge and there just plainly enough cash there ( There was something about the ON Digital Cash thing being an issue as much of their income was to have come from that instead of the league getting 150 million they got 4 pounds! or something similar). Brian Talbot quit when the funds issue came to light and there was a sale of pretty much all of their best players. It was a downward spiral from then on and they seemed to change owners every 3 months or so towards the end. The death of one of their players, goalie, cant remember his name and a twitter spat with Leon Kinght over a move to Darlo (who also ended up folding) didnt help and Rushden's demise came as more of a whimper. There is meant to be a phoenix club, but not sure which league or where they play.

Rushden and Diamonds were a strange one. They were based in a village basically and because they were the best team in non-league, floating fans from across Northamptonshire watched them play. Problem was, it was never genuine support that you can count on and when they ended up mid-table in Division 2, a lot of those fans drifted away. The Griggs family drifted away also and the club couldn't stand on its own two feet, the stadium especially proved an albatross around their necks, much like the Darlington Arena did for Darlington. Once they were just another non-league club, people didn't come from Daventry or Kettering or Corby or Northampton or Wellingborough to watch them, they have their own clubs in their own towns or ones that are much closer so they just spiralled.

The phoenix club started a couple of years ago and they groundshare with Wellingborough Town, both clubs are in the United Counties League Premier Division, which is at Step 5.

• Paid Members
OK, now you've genuinely lost me. Who is the nameless defender? Cunningham or Fontaine?

Wash your mouth out for even considering the former. He's been the freshest breath of air at LB in donkeys' ears.

Yes, it's Fontaine. Failed the medical at Southampton years ago and he's not even close to that level at the moment. On football-rumours (truck-of-salt) it was stated he had failed another at an unidentified club.

Forest top, good to see Billy Davies back. Ridiculously dedicated manager, competent and capable and proving what he said previously to be right. He'd taken Forest as far as he could, he needed money to kick them on and the previous board showed him the door.

Millwall at the bottom, which I personally take little pleasure in. However, their board really misunderestimated the potential antipathy towards Lomas. He has the strikers this year that were the difference between Kenny Jackett challenging for the playoffs and the club nearly getting relegated. They need to shake it up now or the Lomas haters will whip up such a storm, he'll be out before Halloween. Meanwhile, Wolves are unbeaten in League 1. I know Millwall didn't want Jackett to leave but I think he was highly-underestimated by the wider footballing public.

Archived