The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

League 1 has been a shock to some teams over time, inc us. It's rapidly changed over the last 5-6 years into something else and many teams that come down arent quite ready for it which is why some, struggle.

We're 1 win in 21 in the league and that tells it's own sorry tale :(

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've said yourself, pat, City are in a state. I honestly thought things might pick up once Fontaine left but it seems he's not the only problem.

Lot's going on behind the scenes and rumours that So'D is on borrowed time are starting to emerge. He and the chairman arent even speaking at the moment by all accounts, and most of the board if not all of them are away on compassionate leave, maternity, or holiday. No one is in charge, it would appear and So'D has surrounded himself with layers of 'yes' men, according to some so isnt accountable

There have been changes on the pitch and there are some bright spots, nothing consistent though, and plainly we arent good enough at the moment. People are saying we are nearly there, apart from shipping goals left right and centre and being predictable in defence, so much so that everyone seems to set up to score 1 and park the bus then make us attack them because they can always go and score another almost at will, should the need arise and we arent fantastic going forward if JET isnt doing his thing.

Sorry state of affairs, and a complete mess from top to bottom. It will get better, eventually. When and with whom in charge is the $64,000 question though.

A worthy addition to the thread which I suppose provokes the question... has anybody seen any non-league lately. I went to Champion Hill to see a Southern Counties East League game between the bottom two; Fisher (in exile, playing in Dulwich) and Woodstock Sports. Fisher have some nice footballers who haven't a clue what to do and Woodstock have a bunch of grizzled players, led by their captain who clearly plays at this level because he shouts a lot. I've seen better games on the park.

• Paid Members

I watch some Welsh Premier league football every week, which in the English pyramid would probably range from the bottom reaches of the Conference National to the Conf North/South. I love going to watch Bangor City most weeks, although admittedly something's been lost since the club moved from the historic Farrar Road ground (where we've played against Napoli and Athletico Madrid) to the modern day Nantporth (or Book People Stadium as it's supposed to be called).

• Paid Members
Fisher have some nice footballers who haven't a clue what to do and Woodstock have a bunch of grizzled players, led by their captain who clearly plays at this level because he shouts a lot. I've seen better games on the park.

Same as up here in the "Scottish Junior League" areas. I'm not paying between a fiver and a tenner to watch that rubbish in a bunch of ramshackled (and dangerous) stadiums. I did it for a few weeks, then stopped. I also got the feeling I was funding various owner's criminal operations too.

Too be fair, most of the teams in the Junior Premier League have decent stadiums for the level. Petershill Park is a good one. Clydebank's Holm Park is dodgy and is in a dodgy area. Some Clydebank fans have a bit of a reputation for a scrap now. Couple of seasons ago, I saw a middle aged guy jumping on top of the dugout during the game to try to smack the ref (who was standing near the dugout) with a beer can. Go below Division 1 and you're chancing your arm on your safety.

A worthy addition to the thread which I suppose provokes the question... has anybody seen any non-league lately. I went to Champion Hill to see a Southern Counties East League game between the bottom two; Fisher (in exile, playing in Dulwich) and Woodstock Sports. Fisher have some nice footballers who haven't a clue what to do and Woodstock have a bunch of grizzled players, led by their captain who clearly plays at this level because he shouts a lot. I've seen better games on the park.

Not recently, get to park games when the weathers good enough for them to play, but not seen any lower league for a bit. Apparently the Dorchester Town boss is registering himself as a player at 60! Because financially they are bollocksed and need to sell everyone and the ST Neots FA Cup Goal is worth a watch too.

Non-league/lower league football can be great. Depends where you go. There are some lovely, lovely clubs and people - and some vile ones. Pick a good 'un and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. And if you don't, it's only a fiver or so you've lost.

I might take in some non-league on the international weekend, it's the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round.

I think they got drawn away in the cup but if you ever get the chance mikey, get yourself down to watch Dulwich Hamlet (I think that

• 3 weeks later...

Archived