The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how Brentford don't deserve the plaudits or coverage they've been getting, why Preston or Rotherham were more deserving of promotion

Brentford deserve to go up mate they finished 2nd so they deserve it. The league table dosent lie. If preston or rothetham deserved it they would of finished 2nd.

Great day in the championship, i really enjoyed watching it all unfold yesterday. Glad the bluenoses stayed up!

Yesterday was a very happy, yet sad day for Bristol Football. I've never been to arsed about the GAS, but it was always good that the city had two football teams in the league. Their demise has been disheartening and the state of Bristol Football looked bleak this season anyway. I'm not going to revel in their demise, and there is potential they will go tits up if what I've heard from family members, supposed ITK's etc is true. It's a mess waiting to happen and the new ground could be a Darlingtonesque, or even to some extent Oxfordesque disaster waiting to finish the club off shame

The good news is that our appointment of Steve 'Godlike' Cotterill, saved us from certain relegation and we appear to be finding our way again, and the new ground redevelopment is starting in earnest. Finally seem to be getting our shit together after what seems like forever in disarray.

As it's us it will probably last oooh, until October, but things are looking up presently.

For me, UWE Stadium would be viable at 12,000 if they still had Bristol RFC as tenants. Something similar to the New York Stadium in Rotherham, built with possible expansion in mind. However, without those additional dates, I can't see how they'll do it.

how Brentford don't deserve the plaudits or coverage they've been getting, why Preston or Rotherham were more deserving of promotion

Brentford deserve to go up mate they finished 2nd so they deserve it. The league table dosent lie. If preston or rothetham deserved it they would of finished 2nd.

Great day in the championship, i really enjoyed watching it all unfold yesterday. Glad the bluenoses stayed up!

agreed, you can't really be that lucky over a 46 game season to end with 94 points??

Whatever they did has worked, good luck to them

For me, UWE Stadium would be viable at 12,000 if they still had Bristol RFC as tenants. Something similar to the New York Stadium in Rotherham, built with possible expansion in mind. However, without those additional dates, I can't see how they'll do it.

Bristol RFC are sharing with us now under the Bristol Sport Umbrella, Steve Lansdown owns both. Desso pitch going down over the summer. Rovers can survive,but they need their chairman to reign things in

Share with Forest Green could work whilst revised grounds are sorted. New Lawn is tidy

Greg Dyke's bringing up league restructuring and the introduction of B teams. This affects lower divisions rather than higher divisions. Any thoughts? Barking up the wrong tree?

Good Idea, wrong league to do so, works okay ish in Spain and Germany where there are less league teams. Will put teams out of business here.

The model's been going this way since the late 1990's though. So is not a total shock is being floated.

Greg Dyke's bringing up league restructuring and the introduction of B teams. This affects lower divisions rather than higher divisions. Any thoughts? Barking up the wrong tree?

Disgusting suggestion. Would kill the lower divisions stone dead. Dyke should hang.

Yes, it's done in France, Germany and Spain, but there's no evidence that it helps the national team. Italy operates a similar system to ours, and they've won the World Cup twice in the past few decades, but nobody ever brings that up in these debates.

Two years ago I was studying in Spain and there was a fifth-tier team that played down the road from me, but they might as well have been in the 20th division for all that league status meant. The average attendance in the best-supported of Spain's 4 regional third tiers is 1,371 - in the Conference Premier here, it's 1,865 with crowds up to 8,000 and live games on BT Sport. In 'Oberliga Baden-W

I'm not averse to B teams or farm clubs per se. The problem is, we need to tackle bigger issues than this before we can even look at that. I've said before that the league system doesn't work and the FA spent half a decade making the situation worse. We've preserved the Football League and the Football Conference and made changes around it, which have made the situation worse rather than better.

How can we improve youngsters in an environment where you can't coach, and sometimes barely train, for large chunks of the season? I look at Charlton Athletic, who played twice a week for nearly two months at the conclusion of the season. Modern sport science is pretty rigid with their two-day recovery after games so if you play on Saturday, you can't train properly before playing on a Tuesday. Yes, playing improves players but they need a limit on games across a season to ensure proper recovery time and to allow good coaches to help iron out issues in their game.

So before we start tinkering with B teams, shouldn't we have a league enviroment that allows them to thrive? Asking Championship teams to play 46 games plus at least 2 cup games (and the postponements/replays that come from the cups) in 35 weeks is ridiculous. When you look at the non-league, asking semi-pros to play semi-nationally 42 times per season is even worse!

Is it really worth considering how League 1, League 2 and Conference players can cope with so many games when they realistically are never going to even threaten to develop enough to get into the national squad though?

Im not against B Teams either, but I dont see the point of having young players playing in League One or Two, its barely football in the winter months and not that close for the rest of the season. Just leave the Football League to it, its got a ridiculous amount of support and loyalty amongst its fans and I dont think you should risk upsetting them.

More focus should be going into giving English players the chance to develop and this is where I agree that more needs to be thought about just how many competitive games 'elite' players are playing. I think you need more coaches first a foremost, it is improving but it needs to be quicker. St Georges Park is good for coaches but we need more numbers.

The focus should be going into restricting the number of foreign players coming in too. I agree with Dyke that no player should be able to get a work permit to play outside the PL, the idea of somebody obtaining a work permit is that they have a skill that cannot be obtained in the UK and clearly that isnt the case if they are playing below the PL. More limits on how many foreign players are allowed in squads and starting XIs are required too and not some rule thats full of loop holes where people like Rafael, Gael Clichy and others can be considered 'home grown'.

EDIT: One idea i like that I heard today was to reward, financially I presume, Championship and Premier League sides for playing English players under the age of 21. Thats the level they need to be playing and if they cant force teams to play english players due to EU laws and general British laws too, then that would be a good idea.

Is it really worth considering how League 1, League 2 and Conference players can cope with so many games when they realistically are never going to even threaten to develop enough to get into the national squad though?

Er, number of games isnt the issue, it really isn't, it's a modern misnoma used to help shrink the PL even further and fuck the rest of the league. As for players developing in to the National Team, whether it be on a one shot or more pertinent basis, I give you Steve Bull, David Nugent, a keeper who's name Ive totally forgotten, Grant Holt.. there are plenty of examples where players have come from NL to England including Wrighty, and Stuart Pearce.

It's a modern concept buying in to the we need to play less games to be competetive internationally. It's bollocks and will remain so. If players are good enough they should be selected whatever league they play in. Italy do it as do others. We appear to be snobs about the 'elite' and it's that which is ruining the game. I've said here before and been hammered for it, but if they are good enough what league they play in shouldnt be relevant as the international game is a different beast

Im not against B Teams either, but I dont see the point of having young players playing in League One or Two, its barely football in the winter months and not that close for the rest of the season. Just leave the Football League to it, its got a ridiculous amount of support and loyalty amongst its fans and I dont think you should risk upsetting them.

B Teams have the ressie league, that's been there for a bit unless the PL starts fucking with it again. Not football? Come on, really. Welcome to cliche world. International football is rarely, the supreme game these days, players learning to play different types of football will help them better than being drilled one way and not being able to adapt and that's what's killing us internationally rather than anything else.

More focus should be going into giving English players the chance to develop and this is where I agree that more needs to be thought about just how many competitive games 'elite' players are playing. I think you need more coaches first a foremost, it is improving but it needs to be quicker. St Georges Park is good for coaches but we need more numbers.

Change the bias for PL teams stockpiling players then. Simple.. Footballers cant learn without playing games, B teams is the lazy way out. Spread the wealth see our players flourish rather than doing under an umbrella that keeps the players in the same teams

The focus should be going into restricting the number of foreign players coming in too. I agree with Dyke that no player should be able to get a work permit to play outside the PL, the idea of somebody obtaining a work permit is that they have a skill that cannot be obtained in the UK and clearly that isnt the case if they are playing below the PL. More limits on how many foreign players are allowed in squads and starting XIs are required too and not some rule thats full of loop holes where people like Rafael, Gael Clichy and others can be considered 'home grown'.

Ill not have 'Johnny Foreigner' ruining the game either, English football was butt fucked by Heysel and it took years to recover. the addition of a larger number of players from other continents has helped the game improve. Our players need to play more abroad, which pretty much every nation's footballers do, apart from ours. The last major England players to have learnt and/or played elsewhere were Owen Hargreaves. Beckham Owen and McManaman are notable , aside from that it's slim pickings, compared to other nations who's teams generally play all over! Normally, the English usually stay in England, we need to have players, travel to learn, we dont and some how expect to be the best? It's a very narrow view

EDIT: One idea i like that I heard today was to reward, financially I presume, Championship and Premier League sides for playing English players under the age of 21. Thats the level they need to be playing and if they cant force teams to play english players due to EU laws and general British laws too, then that would be a good idea.

Cant agree with this, it's not having players that's the problem. It's because the stakes are set so impossibly high in clubs own minds, they wont take the risk because it will fuck them if they get relegated or whatever and don't get the income. My team were like this forever and a day and it helped ruin us. Only now are we trying to sort youth again some 17 years after a foriegn manager tried it with us, with eventually excellent results

• 2 weeks later...

His girlfriend is horrible. She helped orchestrate a hate campaign against the girl who got raped and she had to change her name and leave the country. The justice for Ched lot are repulsive people. If he played for Wednesday, I'm sure they'd be as vocal.

Archived