The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

The Carling Cup draw seems to get earlier each year, however here is today's full draw for the 1st round to be played on the 5th August 2013

The draw for Round 1 of the Capital One Cup has been made. It is as follows:

Bury v Crewe Alexandra

Shrewsbury Town v Bolton Wanderers

Middlesbrough v Accrington Stanley

Doncaster Rovers v Rochdale

Preston North End v Blackpool

Barnsley v Scunthorpe United

Tranmere Rovers v Mansfield Town

York City v Burnley

Notts County v Fleetwood Town

Sheffield United v Burton Albion

Oldham Athletic v Derby County

Carlisle United v Blackburn Rovers

Morecambe v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Nottingham Forest v Hartlepool United

Leeds United v Chesterfield

Huddersfield Town v Bradford City

Rotherham United v Sheffield Wednesday

Port Vale v Walsall

Gillingham v Bristol City

AFC Bournemouth v Portsmouth

Wycombe Wanderers v Leicester City

Brentford v Dagenham and Redbridge

Exeter City v Queens Park Rangers

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United

Southend United v Yeovil Town

Millwall v AFC Wimbledon

Swindon Town v Torquay United

Birmingham City v Plymouth Argyle

Stevenage v Ipswich Town

Cheltenham Town v Crawley Town

Bristol Rovers v Watford

Northampton Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Leyton Orient v Coventry City

Colchester United v Peterborough United

Brighton and Hove Albion v Newport County

Ties to be played during the week commencing 5th August 2013.

How have your team done in the draw? Fancyyour chances, or doomed to a first round exit. Preston vs Blackpool is tie of the round surely?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good looking ties there, I know Wigan get a bye to the third because of being in Europe but how come Reading aren't in the first round and QPR are?Nice baptism of fire for Newport's return to the competition, Brighton will be a tough tie even if Poyet isn't in charge next season, Tranmere won't be easy for Mansfield either

Fuck SISU or whatever they call themselves. They've killed Cov City.

Keith, where are Cov actually playing next year? Or hasnt that been resolved yet?
It hasn't been resolved. One of the bidders was the owners of the Ricoh and they would have let the club play rent free for a year on the proviso that they were the preferred bidder. Another bid, led by US property guy Preston Haskell (who was the popular vote) didn't get it but he is still looking at buying half of the company who own the ground.SISU want to play away from Coventry for a few years while they sort out a ground, the speedway track looks like the best bet, although they have said they want to play in the "Coventry area" so that could be anywhere in a 30 mile radius.

Fuck SISU or whatever they call themselves. They've killed Cov City.

Keith, where are Cov actually playing next year? Or hasnt that been resolved yet?
It hasn't been resolved. One of the bidders was the owners of the Ricoh and they would have let the club play rent free for a year on the proviso that they were the preferred bidder. Another bid, led by US property guy Preston Haskell (who was the popular vote) didn't get it but he is still looking at buying half of the company who own the ground.SISU want to play away from Coventry for a few years while they sort out a ground, the speedway track looks like the best bet, although they have said they want to play in the "Coventry area" so that could be anywhere in a 30 mile radius.
Bloody hell that's a mess. Hope it gets sorted one way or another. Always had a soft spot for Cov, they frankly deserve better than that!

• Paid Members

Big talk around Wolves is that potentially we may allow Coventry to ground share, however I believe Cov are favouring the offer from Walsall for the time being.

Away at Morecombe eh? That's us out. League One mid table obscurity here we come, unless Jackett stamps authority on players, ships out a great number of players, keeps Leigh Griffiths and plays some of our astoundingly good youth players. If Danny Batth is not captain next year I'm going to cry a little.

On the shipping out front, this is on the cards so far:

Hunt on a free

Ebanks-Blake on a free

Berra on a free

Rumoured:

Stearman to Ipswich

Henry to Leicester / Ipswich

O'Hara to QPR

Johnson to Wednesday

Doyle to Celtic

hope they all fuck off, and on top of that Foley and Ward

Big talk around Wolves is that potentially we may allow Coventry to ground share, however I believe Cov are favouring the offer from Walsall for the time being.Away at Morecombe eh? That's us out. League One mid table obscurity here we come, unless Jackett stamps authority on players, ships out a great number of players, keeps Leigh Griffiths and plays some of our astoundingly good youth players. If Danny Batth is not captain next year I'm going to cry a little.On the shipping out front, this is on the cards so far:Hunt on a freeEbanks-Blake on a freeBerra on a freeRumoured:Stearman to IpswichHenry to Leicester / IpswichO'Hara to QPRJohnson to WednesdayDoyle to Celtichope they all fuck off, and on top of that Foley and Ward

What is the talk with Griffiths down there? I've got a mate who is a Hibs fan and he fancies he will be back with them come the end of the transfer window. He feels the two clubs will just talk the talk until just about the end of the transfer window and then Griffiths will come. I see Moxley (?) saying Griffiths has scored a load of goals and they want him but is that just talk to try to bump the price up?

• Paid Members

We're keeping him, simple as. I wouldn't blame him for fucking off. McCarthy treated him like crap, and then so did everyone else who took charge! Granted he acted a twat at times, but he was treated poorly. He'll rip League One apart, and Jackett seems adamant he'll be leading the front line with Sigurdarson, Cassidy and McAlinden taking the step up too.Although there is talk Celtic may be interested, especially if they sell Hooper. And they'll be able to afford the fee Hibs can't with Jez Moxey invilved.

Some good looking ties there, I know Wigan get a bye to the third because of being in Europe but how come Reading aren't in the first round and QPR are?

There is always a Bye In the 1st round, Think it is normally 2 as well so Wigan and Reading would of got the byes regardless of Wigan being in europe as they finished 18th and 19th

Some good looking ties there, I know Wigan get a bye to the third because of being in Europe but how come Reading aren't in the first round and QPR are?

There is always a Bye In the 1st round, Think it is normally 2 as well so Wigan and Reading would of got the byes regardless of Wigan being in europe as they finished 18th and 19th
Well there wasn't always a bye. There was a prelim game about a decade ago which Bristol Rovers lost, failing to qualify for the competition and getting around some of the overcrowding that way iirc

Yeh bit odd although maybe its just the draw evening itself out with Wigan not in the round.Exeter away is probabley the worst southern draw for us (QPR) possible.On the transfer front we still havent shifted anyone out, id imagine if anyone comes in with a decent offer for one of our players they will be off.No ones come in yet either, linked to lots of players but id likem to see a whole lot of guys off the books before we go about bringing one in. Im not really looking forward to being back in the championship, there is some long arse treks in this league and the amount of midweek games doesnt make it a pleasant experience, although I do get two new grounds in this year in Yeovil & Brighton and theres some decent away trips like Bournemouth & Blackpool to throw in.

Archived