The Championship/Lower Leagues Thread 2013/14

patiirc

• Paid Members

Keith, being the resident Coventry fan/expert here what's the deal with a young goalkeeper called Lee Burge this season? Went out on loan to Nuneaton at the end of the last with them all but relegated kept 7 clean sheets in 10 games and they stayed up. Any likelyhood of him breaking the 1st or 2nd GK spot this season or out on loan again?

Only ask as he's a local lad that's caused me 2 concussions in my school days of playing rugby. Kinda want to see him do well, success story out of Hereford.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are getting interesting at Donny. So will bullet point the main points.

1) We don't have a senior goalkeeper. Neil Sullivan has gone abd taken a coaching role at Leeds and Gary Woods was released 2 days after the board sayibg he was potential for the future. Shay Given has been strongly linked on a season long loan, so strongly that certain bookies stopped taking bets on last week but at this moment, nothing as yet.

2) This is possible due to the alledged impending Irish consortium coming in to the club lead by billionaire Dennis O'Brien and injecting

• Paid Members

While I like Dikcov I don't rate him, Given would be a top signing. I really like Doncaster but I almost feel they have it as hard as Yeovil next year, the Championship seems ultra competitive.

Last year was hardly a vintage season. The league was won by a team who weren't much better than they were the previous year. The financial fair play regulations essentially mean that clubs with parachute payment have to cut further than in previous seasons as they can't just absorb the debt. Lots of Bosmans thus far and I'm not sure how many guys we're going to see move for big money this year. Instead, it would surprise me to see more deals like Beckford to Bolton and Scott McDonald to Millwall. Guys getting released early or structured deals with a small amount up front. it's not that there aren't idiots willing to splash the cash on getting to the Premier League, it's that their hands are going to be tied much more.

Things get better. Mvoto wanted contract negotiations, Dickov said 'Take it or else' basically telling him if he even tried to look elsewhere we wouldn't sign him and he said balls to us and signed for Barnsley. Smooth move there...

• Paid Members

Watching Sheffield United-Notts here and United are playing some nice attacking football, still look abit toothless up front though. Peter Beagrie must be one of the best pundits Sky have alongside Neville, always does a really good job with the lower league stuff, no ego or real bias about the bloke at all. Knows his stuff.

What's the Cov fans view of this? Necessary step to get rid of SISU/Otium and then start clean in League 2? Or is the Council in the wrong?

SISU are the bad guys, but ACL aren't without blame. They both played it like a ridiculous poker game, seeing who would fold or play their hand.

Mikey, will give a better answer tomorrow, if that's ok. Quite emotional at the mo but as bad as SISU are, the stand off was ridiculous. Check out Les Reid on Twitter for a good account of it all.

Archived