Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Did Alex Shane say the UKFFers are a bunch of pathetic earthlings?

He probrably did, but because he has a silly voice, we’d have laughed.

On 7/30/2018 at 6:31 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

If you're not Alex Shane, who are you?

Elisar: how was the online fan base (basically this place) viewed by those running the company? It's a long time ago so much memories aren't super clear but while I do remember lots of excitement around for example which import would be coming in for whatever show, I also remember many threads that were based in criticism of the promotion for one reason or another and am curious as to what if any reaction those involved had to that?

In the era before social media - remember there was no Facebook or Twitter or anything where fans could share easily or companies could interact socially - forums was the only social media at the time.

The UKFF was FWA's 'social media' home back then.  After briefly having a Bravenet fan forum - we soon swapped and hosted the official FWA fan forum to UKFF. So it was important to us and the fans on this forum were important to us.  The FWA forum was very busy - several new conversations would be started in a single day.  Fans interacted with each other on the FWA forum as well as with workers. Myself and Mark were moderators so we were on there all the time.  

And although UKFFers were going to other UK promotions, the FWA was clearly the spiritual home for many in the UKFF. Check out this blast from the past. The UKFF UK Awards 2001 (not sure who the original writer of the post below is but I assume it might be Moorish):

UK Fan Forum UK Awards for 2001
Posted by Jane Childs on 1/25/2002

Reprinted from the UK Fan Forum www.wrestlingukfanforum.com
UK Awards

UK Wrestler of 2001

Doug Williams wins this award by a mile, with 61% of votes. No clear runner-up in this one, although Alex Shane is closest with 14%.
UK Rookie of 2001

Gaining an impressive 51% of votes, Jack Xavier wins UK Rookie of 2001, with James Tighe close behind with 38%.
UK Match of 2001

Thanks to Ryan Hewson, the WrestleXpress name is associated with rip-off. However, in spite of this, the Jodie Fleisch Vs Jonny Storm encounter from that very show ran away with this award, winning 70% of votes. In second place, with 21% of votes is Scott Parker Vs Steve Corino from FWA Trick Or Treat.
UK Federation of 2001

If you ever want an example of a "one horse race" please make sure you credit the UKFF in full for this one. The Frontier Wrestling Alliance wins UK Federation of 2001 with 75% of votes. NWA-UK managed to win 17% of the votes, on the sly.

• Paid Members

I remember there was a guy who kept signing up to the forum to slag off the FWA on the FWA forum - don't know why I remember to this level of detail, but he signed up with generic names like "HighHeel" and "legdrop", and (I think) his surname was "Logwood". He really had a vendetta (pun intended) against the FWA for some reason.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I remember there was a guy who kept signing up to the forum to slag off the FWA on the FWA forum - don't know why I remember to this level of detail, but he signed up with generic names like "HighHeel" and "legdrop", and (I think) his surname was "Logwood". He really had a vendetta (pun intended) against the FWA for some reason.

I remember a Logwood on the TWC forum. Same guy?

• Paid Members

15 years ago today was one FWA's best ever matches: Doug Williams & Jody Fleisch vs. Christopher Daniels & Jonny Storm. It was the all-star tag team main event in the Horwich Leisure Centre near Bolton. Night 2 of the Northern Exposure Tour (of which I attended all 3 nights!). Great show, and a fantastic main event. 

Really memorable weekend, actually, going across the north of England following the wrestling (Morecambe the night before, Cleethorpes the night after, including surprise bonus American Dragon!). I can't believe it's a decade-and-a-half ago!!

Edited by Big Benny HG

1 hour ago, Big Benny HG said:

15 years ago today was one FWA's best ever matches: Doug Williams & Jody Fleisch vs. Christopher Daniels & Jonny Storm. It was the all-star tag team main event in the Horwich Leisure Centre near Bolton. Night 2 of the Northern Exposure Tour (of which I attended all 3 nights!). Great show, and a fantastic main event. 

Really memorable weekend, actually, going across the north of England following the wrestling (Morecambe the night before, Cleethorpes the night after, including surprise bonus American Dragon!). I can't believe it's a decade-and-a-half ago!!

Ah yes the cleethorpes show I remember that. First time I met you too Benny. Good show from what I remember. I remember seeing Dragon run out, thinking it was the best surprise appearance I'd ever seen at the time. Ah to be 15 again!

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I remember a Logwood on the TWC forum. Same guy?

Could be - I was never on that forum. I think he signed up to about four or five accounts and got banned with all of them before he finally gave up.

• Paid Members

Andy Simmonz and Andy Quildan have a podcast which is amazing every week it seems. Losts of FWA stuff. This week, while talking about Brian Christopher, they revealed Mark Sloan was mean to work Grandmaster Sexay at Revival. But he took one look at Sloan and said "nah, you're alright." So Guy Thunder belted him during the match and Mark said "that was a receipt from me". Bit of a shitty thing to do to be honest.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay