Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I think @elisarcabrera needs to put out a podcast or something. Its the natural progress. He's got the website up and running again and he's posting the shows on youtube. I reckon he needs to get a podcast going, and do some interviews with the wrestlers and show reviews/memories and stuff.

I would 100% listen to this, definitely think this needs to happen.

I reckon it would be popular as a short series, perhaps interest would fade over time but I reckon a lot of British fans who perhaps were not around, lapsed fans and FWA fans who still watch the UK scene would enjoy a series. Perhaps do it year by year or 6 monthly from your beginnings until you stopped being involved.

From a selfish personal point of view i'd love it to be a long running weekly series covering different aspects in depth - Events, Specific Workers, TV runs. I'd pay to watch a twitch feed of Alex Shane listening to a podcast on him just for the facial expressions pulled.

but @simonworden this is an issue for me (re: your twitch comment above). Theres an expectation that people should just talk nasty about other people. Its why I avoided interviews this whole time, I deplore shoot style bitching. 

I'd rather celebrate a great company and a great time and acknowledge all the contributions everyone made.  the website is a celebration, an archive of memories.  the players and fans around today, how many of them know about what we did and how we opened the doors for them to be doing what they do now because of what we did.  

So here's why I came back here.  Two years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. Since then I have been through chemo twice and radiotherapy once.  My storage locked burnt down and I lost my FWA memorabilia etc.  I started watching WWE again this year. And enjoyed it. I looked online to see what was happening in the UK scene having ignored it for 14 years. The only thing online I could find about FWA was of the FWA that existed in 2009-12 (what I would call FWA v4 but most refer to as FWA 2.0).

So I thought lets put it back and have an archive that anyone can dip in otherwise if no one puts this stuff up, its lost forever. I guess its one of the sorts of things you think about when you have a doctor telling you if left untreated my cancer would give me 12 months (good news is that was 12 months ago so we're fighting here and we are doing well).

I am a film producer, my movies are already out there but this time of my life is missing, thus the info that existed on the FWA website while I ran it is up there.  I have now reached point in 2004 that Fozzy took over but as I was still vaguely around in the background I will continue posting to the site.  2004 is when I pulled out because work was sending me all over the world at this point. I think i calculated something like 24 flights in 2004 for business trips so it was clear I wasn't able to put in the hours for FWA.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, elisarcabrera said:

but @simonworden this is an issue for me (re: your twitch comment above). Theres an expectation that people should just talk nasty about other people. Its why I avoided interviews this whole time, I deplore shoot style bitching. 

I'd rather celebrate a great company and a great time and acknowledge all the contributions everyone made.  the website is a celebration, an archive of memories.  the players and fans around today, how many of them know about what we did and how we opened the doors for them to be doing what they do now because of what we did.  

So here's why I came back here.  Two years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. Since then I have been through chemo twice and radiotherapy once.  My storage locked burnt down and I lost my FWA memorabilia etc.  I started watching WWE again this year. And enjoyed it. I looked online to see what was happening in the UK scene having ignored it for 14 years. The only thing online I could find about FWA was of the FWA that existed in 2009-12 (what I would call FWA v4 but most refer to as FWA 2.0).

So I thought lets put it back and have an archive that anyone can dip in otherwise if no one puts this stuff up, its lost forever. I guess its one of the sorts of things you think about when you have a doctor telling you if left untreated my cancer would give me 12 months (good news is that was 12 months ago so we're fighting here and we are doing well).

I am a film producer, my movies are already out there but this time of my life is missing, thus the info that existed on the FWA website while I ran it is up there.  I have now reached point in 2004 that Fozzy took over but as I was still vaguely around in the background I will continue posting to the site.  2004 is when I pulled out because work was sending me all over the world at this point. I think i calculated something like 24 flights in 2004 for business trips so it was clear I wasn't able to put in the hours for FWA.

Sorry to hear about the cancer but it's great that the treatments going well. Cancer can go and fuck itself.

You have a point about shoots. If a pod did exist I'd want it to be a sorted plotted history with loving funny stories. I mean, I suspect it's practically impossible for there not to be something funny happening with people like Balls Mahoney, Drew McDonald and Ulf Herman knocking about.

I'm going to start digitising my VHS tapes today hopefully.

• Paid Members

@elisarcabrerawith all that being said, who actually owns this stuff? Who owns the trademark? Who owns the tapes, the music, the logos etc. There's bloody all sorts of crap promoters who had no following and only ran the odd show up on Highspots streaming service. It amazes me the FWA, with how much the current scene owes to its influence, has not put these shows out for all of us to witness.

Oh, and Simmonz and Andy Quildan had a brief chat about this on their latest podcast. They made some great points about those hype videos the FWA used to produce, and on the flipside how crap the FWA 2.0 was at trying to recreate that magic.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:22 PM, Statto said:

My recollection is you said he’d been awarded the belt because of his undefeated record in Gypsy fighting tournaments, or something. But I thought he was officially FWA All-England Champion when the TV series started, and that was just the explanation for how he’d got it?

Became champion when FWA European Union Championship stopped being recognised

7 hours ago, elisarcabrera said:

Sorry to hear about the cancer Elisar and very grateful for what you are doing now. Please note my twitch comment was purely flippant and in jest incase it came off as anything but.

5 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

@elisarcabrerawith all that being said, who actually owns this stuff? Who owns the trademark? Who owns the tapes, the music, the logos etc. There's bloody all sorts of crap promoters who had no following and only ran the odd show up on Highspots streaming service. It amazes me the FWA, with how much the current scene owes to its influence, has not put these shows out for all of us to witness.

Oh, and Simmonz and Andy Quildan had a brief chat about this on their latest podcast. They made some great points about those hype videos the FWA used to produce, and on the flipside how crap the FWA 2.0 was at trying to recreate that magic.

I’d suggest it is complicated. 

The old logo was just a free font from internet. 

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Tony Sefton was behind FWA 2.0, wasn't he? Where they pretty much only did convention shows, at the Excel and suchlike.

He was the money man...came into some money and decided to spend it on an attempt to relaunch  the FWA .  Alex Shane was involved as well .Not a great success  the first few events were at places such as the Broxbourne Civic Halll . I think it was about a year before they started doing conventions.

• Paid Members

They really should do an FWA One Night Stand type thing. Not a relaunch, just a one off at the York Hall or something. Get Simmonz the butler back in the tux. Quildan in the stripes. Doug Williams, Jonny and Jody are all still banging the top bouts out as well. Nikita's still around. James Tighe is back in the game. Get Linus and Dean Ayass on the headset. Try and offer Burchill a one off. This World of Sport isnt going to last forever so, Alex can comeback. Get Colt Cabana in as an import. And a few latter day FWAers who are big names now, like Marty Scurll and Pac on the show. In this climate, it would draw. Those FWA shirts would bang out like cakes of a certain temperature.

If Paul Heyman can basically put people out of their homes due to so much money owed and still kiss and make up with them, surely the FWA lot can.

• Paid Members

Great idea! It'd be grand to see Jack Xavier vs Alex Shane in another gimmick match. Hade Vansen up against someone modern like David Starr. Have a chaotic tag match as the main so Ulf Herman, Flash Barker and other lads who can't manage a match can run-in and cause some mayhem. I'm sure Zebra Kid can don the black & white stripes again. Bring in Mikey Whipwreck so Travell can get his revenge for setting him on fire all those years ago.