Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, deadmaninc said:

Became champion when FWA European Union Championship stopped being recognised

Yes, as discussed earlier in the thread. The "Gypsy fighting tournaments" thing was the kayfabe explanation given for why he had the title when the MyTv series started.

Presumably it was felt such an explanation was needed as there was no British Heavyweight Champion when the series began, and it was never explained on the TV show why that title was vacant, IIRC? In fact, was it ever acknowledged on the TV show that there had been previous champions?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I can't imagine an FWA One Night Stand being enough to sell out York Hall but, fuck it, I'd throw money at one more Ulf Herman match. Love that big lug. 

I dunno dude. Sounds like a great idea. Get Chris Daniels, Colt and anyone else as imports that are still active and have old school FWA form. For one night it could for sure do well.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Surely an FWA 'One Night Stand' type show would need to take place at the home of wrestling in the 00s - the Broxbourne Civic Hall.  Since FWA everyone (IPW:UK, ROH, LDN, NOAH, Dragon Gate, RevPro, probably more) have all run there, perfect venue for wrestling on this level.  Seats about 450-500 when all the seats are out.  Was always easy to reach from main transport hubs too (25 min out of London Liverpool Street).

No-one seems to be running there any more though.  I know the venue underwent a sale/rebranding (it's now 'The Spotlight', which I seem to remember was always the name of the inside bar) - maybe they don't want the wrestling anymore...

• Awards Moderator

I'd love an FWA One Night Stand. For me, and I'm sure for many others, they were the way into British wrestling, and non-WWE wrestling in the 2000s. Jonny vs Jody, Doug in a match, Simmonz and the Duke, a Burchill squash. Ask WWE if they can borrow Drake Maverick for the night. Get Mark Belton in as well and I'm completely sold!

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I'm sure Mark Sloan's still active too. And I think the New Breed are still going.

Mark is only doing the wrestlestore stuff think both members of the new breed are also retired 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, deadmaninc said:

Mark is only doing the wrestlestore stuff think both members of the new breed are also retired 

Think Curve still does the odd show for Lucha Britannia.

3 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I guess I can share my own, small and somewhat silly FWA story.

When I used to attend FWA shows, I thought they were just brilliant. They opened my eyes to a whole new version of wrestling, far removed from what I had followed in WWF since 1988 and totally accessible.

I had started to meet a few faces at some of the FWA shows, and met up with a few UKFF alumni at Broxbourne and York Hall.

I started a website called Smarking Out, which really had no purpose other than I decided that I wanted to start a wrestling site one. I'd recruited a few writers and we were getting a few readers and so (rather stupidly I guess) decided to take up an offer from FWA to sponsor a match. First at one of the regional shows promoted by Bagga, and then at Frontiers of Honour. My number found its way into the hands of Alex Shane and he called me one afternoon to sort things out. He told me someone from the office would call to sort out payment etc, and I soon received a call from a very friendly @elisarcabrera who explained the only account they had to pay money in at that time belonged to a miss K Waters. I didn't know this was Nikita at the time, so acting on blind faith, I sent the money over.

Long story short, all was fine and we got a bit of a spike in traffic for a while which was fine for me at the time and I also had a couple of decent afternoons out attending the shows. The reason I remember this particularly, though, was back then, my online banking wouldn't allow users to delete payees. Before I added Katarina as a payee, I only had one other person I'd regularly send money to. It meant that whenever I'd transfer money to my house mate for bills etc, I almost sent it to Nikita, every fucking time. In fact, once I was convinced I sent her about £500 and spent a few hours worrying about it before I was able to confirm it with my bank.

I think I had her bank details setup until about 2009, by which time I was able to delete them. She must've almost received thousands from me over the years.

I have no recollection of this.  LOL.  

but anyway https://frontierwrestling.wordpress.com/2003/04/26/smarkingout-review-fwa-british-breakout-tour-acton-24-4-03/

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, elisarcabrera said:

Not sure why that review credited me - I didn't write it, and wasn't even at that show!

Though I recall I did do some writing for SmarkingOut.com - think I did some weekly WWE TV reviews for a bit, as well as reviews of live FWA shows (well, the ones that I did attend, anyway...).

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

They really should do an FWA One Night Stand type thing. Not a relaunch, just a one off at the York Hall or something. Get Simmonz the butler back in the tux. Quildan in the stripes. Doug Williams, Jonny and Jody are all still banging the top bouts out as well. Nikita's still around. James Tighe is back in the game.

Been pondering which non-import folks who featured in the ‘original’ FWA (i.e. not the Sefton revival) are still out there working in the ring on a regular/semi-regular basis - interestingly (but perhaps not surprisingly) many of them are the ‘older’ names:

Doug (but not for much longer, sadly)

Jody

Jonny

Zebra Kid (Roy Knight)

Ricky Knight

Sweet Saraya 

Dominator

I think Thunder/Tyrant (Darren Walsh) still does some shows?

Big Dave Waters is making a comeback for WAW’s annual Rumble next month, but not sure if that’s a one-off (he’s been retired for a decade with a pretty serious knee injury sustained in a strongman competition)

The Bulk was working until relatively recently, but don’t think he’s currently active?

Didn’t know James Tighe was back in the ring, that’s good news.

Rishi Ghosh is still out there, but I don’t think Raj still wrestles?

Damon Leigh still wrestles, doesn’t he?

Stixx?

Couple of members of Mark Sloan’s EntouRAGE still out there I think?

You’ve got Martin Stone, Nikita & Spud (to use their FWA noms de guerre) in the American companies (perhaps the latter is ‘retired’, or just not being used as a wrestler currently?)

Start to draw a blank after that...