Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

They did do DVDs - I still have some - and the production quality wasn't bad for an independent wrestling company at the time, but the turnaround from recording the show to having the DVD on sale at the next show just wasn't fast enough, and also they didn't start doing them until about a year before they closed the first time.

Yeah they did but I think they started with uprising 3 by which time they had lost out on there peak. I can remember having to wait for months for the second half of British Uprising on VHS.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

The whole vhs/DVD thing was a farce. The FWA didn't get into the DVD sales thing until it was far too late, as they stuck with videotape. The reason given by Alex was that people in the north couldn't afford to buy DVD players. Some stuff came out on DVD much later but the FWA was pretty much on its arse at that point. 

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

However, they'd introduced Gold and Silver packages for the ringside and second rows at that point, which cost a bit more - IIRC, it was £20 for Gold and £15 for Silver. Additionally, the show didn't go on too long, and the card wasn't overburdened.

I thought the gold/silver packages were a great idea at the time and loved the T-Shirts you would get as well. 

Im not sure if anyone else was doing anything like this at the time, but was a first for me and loved the concept. 

• Paid Members

I wonder if the FWA had had the foresight to get into selling DVDs of their shows anywhere and everywhere they could, might it have made a difference in them potentially still being around today? And no doubt if they were still around today, they'd be selling DVDs via post while the streaming/over the top revolution is going on all around them.

I know it's easy to forget the tech was expensive back then, even DVD writers and software would set you back a bit. I was listening to Erich Bischoff's podcast yesterday about Hogwild 96 where he said he paid about $150K to have a helicopter do a fly over with a camera and now you can do it yourself, well, for $800 and keep the equipment forever. But previous comments have made me wonder if perhaps the FWA had dropped an import or two in favor of buying some good kit to make DVD's they could have sold a lot more at shows and perhaps distributed them to some American indys or RF video to sell overseas. It's hard to know if it would've been worth it through as things were really different 15 years or so ago.

In terms of DVD vs VHS, if the North is so poor why not just make both.

7 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Alex Shane did a shoot interview? A proper one, with one single camera, badly lit room with someone behind the camera asking barely audible questions for three hours? One of those shoot interviews?

If you order the video now, you might get it in time for Xmas. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Alex Shane did a shoot interview? A proper one, with one single camera, badly lit room with someone behind the camera asking barely audible questions for three hours? One of those shoot interviews?

3 hours doesn't sound long enough for Alex. You sure it want part 1 of 2?

Love him or hate him the one thing Alex can do is talk, and he never stops trying to work whoever he is talking to. I heard he even worked his own grandma, it was her who told me. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Love him or hate him the one thing Alex can do is talk, and he never stops trying to work whoever he is talking to. I heard he even worked his own grandma, it was her who told me. 

He worked me by dangling the idea of Scott Hall as an import in front of me while mildly intimidating me.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's 2 discs. I've got it somewhere.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Indeed. There were questions like "Someone on the UKFF said you were a dickhead, what's your take on this?" It was basically FWA's old producer Barry Charalambous asking questions to Alex in what seemed to be a pub. Seemed like Alex had wrote the questions down himself.

14 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Indeed. There were questions like "Someone on the UKFF said you were a dickhead, what's your take on this?" It was basically FWA's old producer Barry Charalambous asking questions to Alex in what seemed to be a pub. Seemed like Alex had wrote the questions down himself.

Did Alex Shane say the UKFFers are a bunch of pathetic earthlings?