Raw 25/3/13

NEWM

I'm not above being a wrestling fan at all. That's what I get the impression a lot of people on here think they are.

Yes, all these people on a wrestling forum think they're well above wrestling. Kinda like those people who are all like "Oh that Geordie Shore stuff is shit, why do people watch that? It's way below the artistic greatness of wrestling."

You miss my point . Ianhitmanbarbarianetc has started threads about not wearing wrestling tshirts in public and not talking about wrestling in 'real life'. It's one thing 'talking' on a wrestling forum, I don't even know where this artistic greatness thing came from. All I know is I happily discuss wrestling with my punters day in day out . When you grow up you'll realise that people appreciate that other people enjoy varied things.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus Christ man. The average age on this forum is nearly 30. Half of the people on here are married, and most of them have kids. Your attempts at being patronising are just woeful.

And wrestling is for kids and rednecks. We all like a bit of wrestling here, because we're all fans, but most of us are bright enough to understand that it's not exactly high art. It's something that a lot of people like when they're kids but then grow out of. At its best it's wonderful, but most of the time it's just silly and no better than any other pseudo-reality tv bullshit that the masses watch.

It's not about being above being a wrestling fan, it's about accepting wrestling for what it is - vaudeville, bread for the masses, a bit of fun, that on very rare occasions transcends all that to be genuinely great.

I don't even know where this artistic greatness thing came from

Mostly the fact that you think wrestling is in some way above Geordie Shore when wrestling's pretty fucking bottom of the barrel low.

When you grow up you'll realise that people appreciate that other people enjoy varied things.

Yeah, and when you grow up maybe you'll be less stinky! *snigger*

• Moderators
I'm not above being a wrestling fan at all. That's what I get the impression a lot of people on here think they are.

Yes, all these people on a wrestling forum think they're well above wrestling. Kinda like those people who are all like "Oh that Geordie Shore stuff is shit, why do people watch that? It's way below the artistic greatness of wrestling."

You miss my point . Ianhitmanbarbarianetc has started threads about not wearing wrestling tshirts in public and not talking about wrestling in 'real life'. It's one thing 'talking' on a wrestling forum, I don't even know where this artistic greatness thing came from. All I know is I happily discuss wrestling with my punters day in day out . When you grow up you'll realise that people appreciate that other people enjoy varied things.

The same Ian who in the past has talked about going on the pull in a Hulk Hogan T-Shirt?

Grow up? The same forum who have an average age of 28 and older?

Talk to your punters. They'll take your patronising bullshit, they may even let you be holier than thou, they might even be real nice and let you go "Well I'm a bit older" (Houchen and Bifkin are touching 40 and they aren't dickheads like you're a dickhead, for the record). So talk to them. Be a dickhead to them. Don't come here being a passive aggressive tosser who goes "Well, I don't get this internet lark" when you're shown up for the fucking massive dickhead you are. A dickhead who says "people here think they're better than wrestling fans" and mainly pointing that at Ian when he's proudly one of the biggest marks in wrestling history.

You're just a dick. That's the problem. You.

But eh, you're going to Wrestlemania, innit.

Please please tell me when this team hell no garbage is going to end, i really cannot stand any more of it, i'm at x-pac level now, i just fast forward all of there matches, segments, promo's, the lot.

The even sadder part is, when they split, and go on to feud, that will be cack aswel, Kane has not innovated since about 2001 and has the same match every single time, with whoever he is up against, so they will have yet more fair to middling matches against each other.

Just seems so long until there will be any light at the end of the tunnel for Bryan. Sad really.

The match they have will be fine. Why does Kane need to "innovate"? He's a solid enough big man and Bryan's more than talented enough both character- and wrestling-wise to work an entertaining match round what Kane can do. People are into the gimmick, people will pop for the split, the match will get a PPV slot and Bryan will go right into whatever role where they need to put a really good wrestler who can work with anyone. He'll almost certainly be buzzing around the World Heavyweight title again at some point during the year, especially if it's going to be on guys like Del Rio, Swagger or Ziggler it in the near future. There's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, and even before that, I'm sure Bryan's fine with his job being piss easy and loads of fun at the moment.

You think Bryan is fine with how the last year has gone?? not a chance. Yeh, you are going to say to me, "he has a job in WWE, he is being featured" etc etc, but that is not him is it, that aint what he is about. Almost a year to the day after losing the WHC and the whole YES stuff he was the hottest thing going, but instead of capitalising on it WWE fucked it royally up. Bryan wants to have intense, kick ass matches, that is his deal, but he is now a fucking goofball every week.

As for Kane, yes, he does have to be somewhat innovative, WWE keeps him around because he is established and is a safe worker, a good go to guy, i appreciate that, but can you tell me the last time he had a match that was anything other than just ok?? When he faced Benoit for the WHC in 04 maybe (i forget the event).

• Moderators

Forgive me if I'm wrong because I've only started following closely again more recently - but hasn't he had loads of TV time..?

You don't like Bryan being a goofball, but don't conflate that with them doing bad business with him. I think he's great as a goofball, I'm sure a lot of people agree. He's like Angle was to me. Great at the comedy, and a good hand in the ring, too.

I've always quite liked Kane when he's in odd-couple tag teams too. It's the only times I really get behind him.

• Paid Members
You think Bryan is fine with how the last year has gone?? ....

In the past year he's been one of the most over acts on the show. He spent his post-Mania months feuding with Sheamus and CM Punk for the companies top prizes, to much acclaim (and no doubt good money); then settled into a very over team with Kane and has held the tag titles for months, also both men seem to be having a right laugh with their roles.

Plus (as NEWM pointed out) he's been making good coin off his t-shirts.

Considering that two years ago he was a midcarder having matches that nobody was arsed about, other than a few fat lads with a fear of Lynx, I'd say he's probably pretty happy.

• Paid Members
You think Bryan is fine with how the last year has gone?? not a chance. Yeh, you are going to say to me, "he has a job in WWE, he is being featured" etc etc, but that is not him is it, that aint what he is about. Almost a year to the day after losing the WHC and the whole YES stuff he was the hottest thing going, but instead of capitalising on it WWE fucked it royally up. Bryan wants to have intense, kick ass matches, that is his deal, but he is now a fucking goofball every week.

As for Kane, yes, he does have to be somewhat innovative, WWE keeps him around because he is established and is a safe worker, a good go to guy, i appreciate that, but can you tell me the last time he had a match that was anything other than just ok?? When he faced Benoit for the WHC in 04 maybe (i forget the event).

I'm not going to pretend that I know for definite 'what he is about', since I don't know him personally, but I'd expect he's pretty happy in his role at this stage in the game.

What's generally come across with Daniel Bryan is that he's always tried to excel in the group he's in, and he travelled to get better at different styles. So in ROH, he was all about having the greatest matches going, and having intense, kick ass matches. In All-Star, he was more about old-fashioned matches and heel/face stuff.

In WWE, he's come in and excelled at what they do, overcoming a perceived weakness. He's never been seen as the strongest character/promo, and he's turned himself into one of their bigger characters with their most over catchphrase right now.

Fuck, if I were him, I'd be ecstatic. He's playing their game, and he's excelling at it. He's got high-selling merch, a massively over catchphrase, and he seems to be having fun.

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed pretty much all of Hell No's matches and promos. They're silly, but they've been entertaining as hell, which I'd say lifts them above 'just OK'. Kane and Bryan are obviously having a ball doing it, and it's about as successful as either of them have ever been in terms of being over and selling merch.

So, he's having fun, he's over and he's profitable, while in one of their safest positions on the card. Yeah, Bryan must be weeping into his fucking beard.

• Paid Members

Let's read between the lines here. nobby is basically saying he wants Bryan coming out to The Final Countdown and telling the ref he's got until 5. Simple as that.

There was an interview with Bryan recently that was posted on here, where he said he would like to start having some more serious matches. But I would doubt that he's particularly unhappy with his direction over the past year or so, given the shirt sales, overness of his catchphrase and his push in general.

There really hasn't been a mid card act that's gotten more TV time than Bryan has in the last year. I think the WWE see a lot in Bryan, he's obviously a good hand, trustworthy and he's not the kind of guy that's gonna fuck up and get a wellness or skirt off to UFC or whatever. He's a good 'entertainer' and the kids love him. He's pretty damn valuable to them and I'm sure that he'll be in the world title hunt again by the end of the year. The only negative I have about how they've handled him is this years Mania, after a solid year for the division the tag title match is a complete throwaway. They seemed to be teasing a Hell NO split - to the detriment to the entire division - then they're friends again and all the teams they were feuding with are off the radar?

It remains to be seen how they transition him from the played out yes/no guy into something else (and he will change. I think their new 'Santino' role will be filled by Generico.)

Archived