DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

"Goodbye Uncle Tom", from reading about, is seriously dodgy and shocking. People legit, supposedly, get raped in there for entertainment.

I bought the first "

( A BIG NSFW ) " off Ebay on big box VHS a few weeks ago. Absolutely hilarious. Has it's own "Crying Game" swerve too. Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Sat through 22 Jump Street, last night. Quite good, although I think I laughed more during 21 Jump Street.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It ticks along at an ok pace, but really picks up the laughs when Ice Cube & Jonah Hill's bumbling character both find out Hill was making love in the ass of Ice Cube's daughter. The cinema was in bits during a particular scene in Ice Cube's office where they finally have a talk about it.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Anyone seen Get The Gringo? Really enjoyed this and it was encouraging that Mel Gibson, fruit-loop that he is, can still make films like this. In fact, he should always make films like this, it was great fun.

Yeah I like that film. I like to think of it as an unofficial Payback sequel. He plays a very similar character and IIRC you don't actually get to know his name in Get The Gringo.

I also found it amusing that the guy who plays Hank in Breaking Bad was a border control agent in this film. I guess he's been typecast now.

Was just watching Hoffa, and J.T. Walsh is in it, and excellent as usual.

Looked up to see what he'd done recently, and I had no clue that he died in 1998! What the hell? I really thought he was still alive. Now I feel old.

Went through a shitload of Hollywood comedies the past few days. This Is the End was fantastic. Date Night wasn't very good. Grown Ups was utterly awful. The Delivery Man was okay, quite sad in places. Regarding Grown Ups, I can't think of a good Adam Sandler film since Happy Gilmore. Am I wrong?

• Paid Members
Was just watching Hoffa, and J.T. Walsh is in it, and excellent as usual.

He really was an amazing sleaze or bad guy.

He really makes your skin crawl in Sling Blade, that's got to be one of the sleaziest performances ever, I really like that film, John Ritter is amazing in it too.

Ended up watching Oliver Stone's Savages the other day. What a real mess of a movie. I wouldn't say it was awful, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I haven't seen this Blake Lively girl in anything prior to this, but god is she awful in it. The film probably would have been a lot better if her character wasn't in it. Salma Hayek and Benicio del Toro were the main reasons that I didn't end up hating this flick.

• Paid Members
Regarding Grown Ups, I can't think of a good Adam Sandler film since Happy Gilmore. Am I wrong?

Yes.

The Wedding Singer, The Waterboy, Punch-Drunk Love and 50 First Dates.

Also Little Nicky, Mr Deeds, Big Daddy and Bulletproof while not good overall do have their moments.

Went through a shitload of Hollywood comedies the past few days. This Is the End was fantastic. Date Night wasn't very good. Grown Ups was utterly awful. The Delivery Man was okay, quite sad in places. Regarding Grown Ups, I can't think of a good Adam Sandler film since Happy Gilmore. Am I wrong?

The Wedding Singer is by far his best film and one of the few of his films I wouldn't call a guilty pleasure. 50 First Dates has heart and stuff like Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish are decent films with a different tone to his others.

Yeah what he said.

Edited by Mr_Danger

Regarding Grown Ups, I can't think of a good Adam Sandler film since Happy Gilmore. Am I wrong?

Yes.

The Wedding Singer, The Waterboy, Punch-Drunk Love and 50 First Dates.

Also Little Nicky, Mr Deeds, Big Daddy and Bulletproof while not good overall do have their moments.

I've made an arse of it. I thought Happy Gilmore was made after Bulletproof, which I enjoyed. The others you mentioned, not so much.

I have been watching a few low budget movies over the past couple of weeks:

The Borderlands

Follows a team of Vatican investigators sent to the British West Country to investigate reports of paranormal activity at a remote church.

A British found-footage horror movie that has a very slow first 45-minutes or so, but a pretty good creepy tone in the second half of the film as they search around the old, dark, creepy church, and it gives a pretty good sense of claustrophobia in the last 10-minutes or so. It adds very little new to the genre though and you do get the feeling that you have seen it all before (primarily in Kill List and Last Exorcism, into which it fall somewhere in between in terms of being good/bad).

The Machine

In the future, amid a cold war with China, two computer scientists employed by Britain's Ministry of Defense produce an artificially intelligent, self-aware and conscious android. The lead scientist sees his work as a stepping stone to help his diseased daughter, while the military sees the technology's potential for war, leading to the two sides clashing over their plans for the new intelligence.

An entertaining if largely forgettable sci-fi film with some interesting ideas, but it is a little disjointed and messy in its overall execution, feels rushed in the second half and has a less than satisfactory ending.

Not Safe For Work

An office worker is trapped inside the building where a killer is on the loose.

A very average and straight-forward thriller that offers little in the way of thrills, entertainment, tension or surprises. It is also very short at only 68-minutes, but yet still manages to have an abrupt open ending. I'm not sure what director Joe Johnston was doing directing such a basic low-budget movie as this.

• Paid Members

-- wrong thread --

Since i posted in the thread by accident, may as well update it to be relevant..

As with the poster above, i've been working my way through those Godfrey Ho Ninja movies the past few weeks, a perfect way to pass the time when stuck on public transport.

For those not familiar, essentially they are old, unreleased movies out of Asia with additional scenes and Ninja fighting filmed with western actors then pasted in at random intervals, with the whole thing re-dubbed in an attempt to make the plot coherent which in every one i

Edited by John Matrix