Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

We're The Millers

Not necessarily bad, just utter fluff. Jennifer Aniston stripping was the least sexiest thing ever. 11 year old me used to day dream about such things happening, but it was just boring.

The Taking of Deborah Logan is REALLY good, especially for a found footage horror film. Nothing new but executed extremely well with a really brilliant and subtle ending shot. Good fun.

Nobody asked but my top five found footage horror film ranking would be:-

1. [REC]
  2. Trollhunter
  3. [REC]2
  4. The Taking of Deborah Logan
  5. Man Bites Dog

Honourable mentions for Cloverfield, Lake Mungo and Chernobyl Diaries.

Worst five:-

1. Exists
  2. The Dyatlov Pass Incident
  3. Paranormal Activity
  4. The Bay
  5. The Last Broadcast

Dishonourable mentions to Creep, Cannibal Holocaust and Diary of the Dead.

Watched Ready Player One last night. An absolute crock of shit. Far worse than the book, which is deeply flawed in the first place.

EDIT: Going to expand on this.

The opening 10-15 minutes is exposition via voiceover. Perhaps necessary scene-setting, but not a great viewing experience. "Show, Don't Tell" and all that jazz.

The lead character is bland, creepy, entitled and unlikable. The romance subplot is beyond forced. The female lead is the sort of "bad-ass rebel chick" that no one should have written after The Lego Movie played up every cliche imaginable for that role. The villains are as generic as they come.

If it were intended as a criticism/indictment of modern pop culture, it would have been far more successful than the lazy nostalgia-fest it was. It was everything wrong with modern entitled "geek culture" writ large. A Big Bang Theory "WE LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE, GET IT?" stretched out to two and a half hours.

The scene where the opening narration says, "the only limits were your imagination", as the screen fills up with popular characters from successful franchises is unintentionally the most accurate criticism of modern pop culture a mainstream movie has ever managed - these self-confessed "nerds" who think that they're unique and interesting for consuming media that everyone consumes, and who think their tastes are a substitute for personality, given free reign with their imagination as the only limit, and all they can come up with is existing franchise characters. If the point of this movie was to come up with a generic, formulaic plot full of recognisable pop culture icons to make a point of the complete lack of imagination involved, and to do it on purpose, it couldn't have proved it's point better than they did unintentionally while unironically celebrating that pop culture. Word salad, sorry.

Pissed off that they used the Iron Giant as a big war machine. Not like there's any other pop culture giant robots they could have used, right? The whole Shining section was dreadful, too. Never remind your viewers that they could be watching a better film!

Above all, it's the 1980s nostalgia aspect that's just lazy and doesn't make sense. The movie is set in 2045. The protagonists are all teenagers or younger. Even the villain was, presumably, born this century. 2045 is sixty years after Back to The Future was brought out.
That would be equivalent to teenagers in the present day losing their mind over references to Battleship Potemkin and Buster Keaton, and all running round listening to ragtime. 

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Watched Ready Player One last night.

The romance subplot is beyond forced. The female lead is the sort of "bad-ass rebel chick" that no one should have written after The Lego Movie played up every cliche imaginable for that role.

And somehow it's still 10 times more palatable and less cringe-worthy than it was in the book.

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Taking of Deborah Logan is REALLY good, especially for a found footage horror film. Nothing new but executed extremely well with a really brilliant and subtle ending shot. Good fun.

1. [REC]
  2. Trollhunter
  3. [REC]2
  5. Man Bites Dog

1. Exists
  3. Paranormal Activity
  4. The Bay
  5. The Last Broadcast

pretty much nailed it on the head.  the only thing I would add is The devil inside, grave encounters and VHS Series in the honourable mentions

Bad honourable or good honourable? I've heard The Devil Inside is the biggest turd ever shat on to a screen.

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

1. [REC]
  2. Trollhunter
  3. [REC]2
  5. Man Bites Dog

1. Exists
  3. Paranormal Activity
  4. The Bay
  5. The Last Broadcast

How come you disliked Exists so much? I would have it in my top 5.  Recently watched Found Footage 3D and that was really good. I enjoyed all the V/H/S films to and of course The Blair Witch Project.

Edited by Twatters

Or, rather, a bloke of about my height (6 foot 2) wearing a shit costume he probably bought from Luvyababes in the Arndale Centre.

Incredible!

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night.

I absolutely loved it but I can't say everyone would feel that way, I love music stories, I've read a good 10 different musician biographies in the last couple of years and I'll watch any music documentary. I'm also a huge Queen fanboy and Freddie is one of my heroes.

Having said that it's very cheesy, almost like a stage musical or soap opera in lots of ways and lots of the big moments are extremely on the nose. It is very sugar coated and done without a great deal of subtlety. It's all really fun though and does a good enough job of getting across the history of the band and a decent peek into why Freddie was so amazing and what was going on in his head.

Mike Myers is in it too which is a treat because I love him and he's never in anything.

Bryan Singer had the sole directing credit for it which surprised me. 

Minor spoiler for something that's different in the movie and real life 

I'm 99% sure they bought him getting AIDS forward 2 years, this is because it's more cinematic for him to have it going into Live Aid, that's the sort if film it is

36 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night.

Bryan Singer had the sole directing credit for it which surprised me. 

I am sure because of how much of the filming they had completed at the time it had to be given to him and not as a co-director with Dexter Fletcher. I remember reading about it when he took over which is a shame for him really

I hated Bohemian Rhapsody. I mean I don't like Queen, but Freddie's story is an excellent one ripe for a brilliant film. Bar the main performance which is outstanding, the rest utterly glosses over his excess and seems to frame it that being gay is the reason for all his angst.

The rest of the band are portrayed as sensible dullards which if anyone knows Brian May's reputation as a party animal, is bollocks.