DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I love a high school comedy way more than I should considering I hated school and the fact that I'm a grown man but To All the Boys I've Loved Before is absolutely fantastic. Between that and Love, Simon it's been such a huge year for the genre in terms of representation but the fact they're both such great films helps a lot too. Lovely to hear they're being lined up for sequels and spin-offs.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, DEF said:

Finally saw The Meg yesterday and it was nearly everything I hoped for. It's probably a little to long, hugely cliched and yeah it has an appropriate amount of dodgy dialogue/ropey acting but it's the Stath Vs a prehistoric giant shark!

Damn entertaining in my view. My only real criticism is that the Stath didn't call the shark 'Meglocunt' and then punch it in the eye. Missed opportunity.

It was nothing I hoped for. I was expecting ultra violence but the peril level was akin to Jurassic park 1. 

Great if you want to see people not get eaten for 2 hours. Also I hated how stealthy the shark was, A 100 foot shark sneaking up on people, it had no presence. The scene where it was snapping it's giant jaws inches away from stath and the water wasn't even moving. 

Kong Skull Island > Rampage > Meg > Jurassic World 2

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

It was nothing I hoped for. I was expecting ultra violence but the peril level was akin to Jurassic park 1. 

Great if you want to see people not get eaten for 2 hours. Also I hated how stealthy the shark was, A 100 foot shark sneaking up on people, it had no presence. The scene where it was snapping it's giant jaws inches away from stath and the water wasn't even moving. 

Kong Skull Island > Rampage > Meg > Jurassic World 2

Despite my Meglocunt joke I knew exactly what I was getting the moment it got put through as a 12A. I mean yeah I'd have preferred an adult monster movie but as long as it's entertaining a kids monster movie is just as good in my book.

I'd probably rank them,

Kong Skull Island - The Meg - Jurassic World 2 - Rampage

Edited by DEF

51zSHmZqPmL._SY445_.jpg

Man, talk about a forgotten movie gem. The movie follows the Hard Target story of a bunch of hunters who pay money and who trick and hunt homeless people for kicks. Ice T is v.good in the lead role who you obviously root for and Rutger Hauer amongst others do well in supporting roles too.

A v.good entertaining movie.

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Wreck It Ralph films aren't proper Disney films anyway because they're good.

Speaking of which, I watched Christopher Robin

I don't know if it's because I don't have kids and don't watch kids films, but with this and the Paddington films, there was a lot of warmth in them.  Ewan McGregor did his posh English Man acting and Hayley Atwell did not much, but the bits with the the toys and the one scene with Mackenzie Crook, Matt Berry and the always brilliant Simon Farnaby were as comforting as a bowl of soup on a winters day when you're not well.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Speaking of which, I watched Christopher Robin

I don't know if it's because I don't have kids and don't watch kids films, but with this and the Paddington films, there was a lot of warmth in them.  Ewan McGregor did his posh English Man acting and Hayley Atwell did not much, but the bits with the the toys and the one scene with Mackenzie Crook, Matt Berry and the always brilliant Simon Farnaby were as comforting as a bowl of soup on a winters day when you're not well.

Nope. The Paddington’s and Christopher Robin are exceptions to the rule pretty much

• Paid Members

I haven't watched Christopher Robin yet, but the Paddington movies are absolutely perfect. Most attempts to update that kind of classic English kids' story these days seem to try and make the character hip and trendy, so you get Peter Rabbit twerking or some shit. Paddington manages to feel current in how tongue-in-cheek and knowing it is, but never feels like it's pretending to be above its source material, and feels completely in keeping with the original concept.

More importantly, it's bloody hilarious. Everyone puts in a good shift, but I honestly think Paddington 2 is Hugh Grant's finest work.

Compare films like that to most kids' films, and stuff like Dreamworks, where a lazy pop culture reference passes as a joke, and you're guaranteed a forced dance routine to a pop song that might have been popular when they started animating it five years' earlier, and they're worlds apart. Mark Kermode described the last Moomins movie as something like a welcome respite from how noisy most kids' movies are, and that word "noisy" probably sums up everything I don't like about lazy writing for kids, while Paddington gets everything exactly right.