DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, King of Hamptons said:

IT'S ok.. Dont think ill be watching it again. 

This is the sort of insight I come for.

8 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Of course, they’ll drop down once you watch Lego Batman, I.e. the best Batman film so far

I have seen it and no. It wasn't even funny which is a shame because Batman was the best thing about The Lego Movie.

• Paid Members

Rewatched Blindspotting tonight. Perhaps even better on a rewatch. Definitely the main film from this year I'll be bullying everyone into watching.

Also watched A Ghost Story. Not sure what I made of it, really, but Rooney Mara's a lightweight with that pie as far as I'm concerned.

• Paid Members
On 12/15/2018 at 10:39 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

I really enjoyed Buster Scruggs. Watched it a week ago and it's stayed with me, rattling around in my head so the more I think about it, the more I like it. I particularly liked the anthology format of it, and only one of the stories felt a bit long for me (the Zoe Kazan one). I'd be interested to know what preference people had for each of the stories, because other than Buster himself, the Neeson/Harry Melling one was probably my favourite, but I don't think I'd be in the majority on that!

It's no True Grit but they've got a love for the Western that really shines through during the whole film.

Really interesting film this but I wasn't 100% sold on it at about half way through and longed for Inside No 9. But by the end I absolutely loved it and you are spot on with it lingering with you.

I'd say I had the opposite reaction to you regarding the segments and absolutely loved the Zoe Kazan one and thought the Neeson one was WAY to long. I still liked it but thought it was being beaten to death. The Tom Waits one was great because Tom Waits, which was probably my second favourite behind the Zoe Kazan one.

It's not nearly my favourite Coens but shows clearly they are remarkable talents.

Anthologies are awesome. I need more in my life. This, Creepshow 1&2, Sin City, Trick R Treat and Monster Club withstanding what's worth a butchers? 

• Paid Members

The missus was away this weekend so I watched a bunch of films:

Halloween - the new one. It was inoffensive but really quite dull. Felt like a missed opportunity. The opening scene was very good but nothing else was remotely memorable or interesting. 

The Predator - unbelievably terrible in every way. Just pure dog shit. Can't believe this was a Shane Black movie. Felt like one of David Ayers worst efforts.

You Were Never Really There - absolutely loved this. One of my favourite films I've seen this year. The CCTV scene was magnificent and Phoenix was as good as always. 

Logan Lucky - a good bit of fun which I have pretty much already forgotten but that's ok! Adam Driver is just insanely watchable and everyone put in a good shift. 

The Santa Chronicals - really enjoyed this. Russell is tremendous as Saint Nick, the child actors were actually good and not annoying and felt like it hit just the right note of sentimentality and Christmas cheese without going over the line.

Cam - interesting and tense with a cool modern twist on an old concept. I recommend it. The main girl was really good and I liked that it didn't feel exploitative or too sleazy (unlike something like 8mm).

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DEF said:

Anthologies are awesome. I need more in my life. This, Creepshow 1&2, Sin City, Trick R Treat and Monster Club withstanding what's worth a butchers? 

Some of the old British Amicus anthologies are great. The couple of Three Extremes anthologies are also pretty good.

If you're looking for a non-horror one, try Wild Tales, the Argentinian one. The best anthology film I've seen and the last segment in it is the best single anthology story I've seen. Great film.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Some of the old British Amicus anthologies are great.

And Ealing gave us Dead Of Night which is not only a great anthology, it's one of the best horror and best British films ever made.

Nativity- It's really shit and hard to believe it spawned so many cinema released sequels. Despite its shitness I'm still feeling the need to watch Nativity 2: Danger in a Manger. 

Sorry to Bother You didn't grab me at all. It's strange because I thought it would be right up my street but whether it was having the point beaten over my head or just the plain outright absurdity it just didn't click with me. I felt the same way about Idiocrisy as well but at least Terry Crews didn't have hair in that.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And Ealing gave us Dead Of Night which is not only a great anthology, it's one of the best horror and best British films ever made.

Yessss, especially the Charters and Caldicott story. Brilliant film.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Sorry to Bother You didn't grab me at all. It's strange because I thought it would be right up my street but whether it was having the point beaten over my head or just the plain outright absurdity it just didn't click with me. I felt the same way about Idiocrisy as well but at least Terry Crews didn't have hair in that.

I had heard so much about how great it was I think I hyped it up in my head and I thought it had some good moments, but overall I thought it was flawed.