DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

He was a baddie a few times in films before he hit it big with "Four Wedding and a Funeral". You know, those cheap 50p DVD films you see around the place. I think "Train to Hell" might be one.

He also played numerous baddies in the overblown yet underrated Cloud Atlas. He even played a Korean villain in it too

cloud-atlas-film-010.jpg?width=300&quali

I watched the Coen Brothers exclusive to Netflix Western "the Ballad of Buster Scruggs". It's ok, six short stories, some Hollywood big-hitters in some of them, Liam Neeson, James Franco and the like. Fairly downbeat in that most of the segment have sad endings. An interesting addition to the Coen Brothers filmography but not up there with Fargo or No Country for Old Men as one of their best films.

Just watched Loving Pablo. It's alright, follows the Goodfellas template of a master criminal getting what's coming to him. Interesting if you've seen Narcos, comparing the similarities. He was an absolute dick, though, and I always think films like this could do a bit more to show the nasty so and sos for the swines they were. The lead actor having a big fat belly doesn't quite cut it. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Awards Moderator
19 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

I watched the Coen Brothers exclusive to Netflix Western "the Ballad of Buster Scruggs". It's ok, six short stories, some Hollywood big-hitters in some of them, Liam Neeson, James Franco and the like. Fairly downbeat in that most of the segment have sad endings. An interesting addition to the Coen Brothers filmography but not up there with Fargo or No Country for Old Men as one of their best films.

I really enjoyed Buster Scruggs. Watched it a week ago and it's stayed with me, rattling around in my head so the more I think about it, the more I like it. I particularly liked the anthology format of it, and only one of the stories felt a bit long for me (the Zoe Kazan one). I'd be interested to know what preference people had for each of the stories, because other than Buster himself, the Neeson/Harry Melling one was probably my favourite, but I don't think I'd be in the majority on that!

It's no True Grit but they've got a love for the Western that really shines through during the whole film.

I watched Nolan's Batman triology. I've seen all the films a few times but watching them back to back gave me a better sense of how good they are.

Begins is now my #1 Batman film overtaking Returns and Rises has gone up in my opinion.

Going to do MoS, BvS and Justice League back to back one day this xmas.

10 hours ago, W35ty said:

I watched Nolan's Batman triology. I've seen all the films a few times but watching them back to back gave me a better sense of how good they are.

Begins is now my #1 Batman film overtaking Returns and Rises has gone up in my opinion.

Going to do MoS, BvS and Justice League back to back one day this xmas.

Of course, they’ll drop down once you watch Lego Batman, I.e. the best Batman film so far

• Paid Members

Rewatched Sneakers last night. Absolutely love that movie, perfect cinema comfort food. Great cast, loads of fun, nicely paced - utter quality. One of those films that if someone disliked it then you can quite rightly cut off all ties with them.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I still say his best performance was either Paterson or Logan Lucky but there's so many to choose from. He's superb in BlacKkKlansman though.

Yarp. Paterson should have got him all manner of nominations, but we know how that all works. IIRC, Paterson is on Prime, should anyone be looking to kill a bit of time with some excellence on a Sunday.

I worry for those that don't get a little teary-eyed come the end of BlacKKKlansman. I'm not a big Spike Lee fan, but the film is undeniable.

Edited by ColinBollocks