DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I like his films - the Greek guy. I think it's fascinating that he insists upon the deadpan manner of speaking and he seems to have found his muse in Colin Farrell. It's very strange at first, but like David Lynch, once you accept it, it's fine. I'm just glad there's someone out there who is still being unrepentantly weird. 

18 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Had Green Book as a secret screening tonight.  Absolutely enthralling.  Reverse Driving Miss Daisy where a fairly racist wiseguy gets a job driving round a black pianist on a tour of the South.

Agreed, wasn't even aware of it when the title card came up, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Great dynamic between the leading two actors (took me a long time to even realise it was Viggo Mortensen) and garnered several genuine laughs for a such a serious topic.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:50 AM, Carbomb said:

I'm well aware this is going to net me more "Talking Bollocks" points, but what the hell. For a while, it felt like As Good As It Gets, About Schmidt, and Something's Gotta Give were some sort of weird Old Man Jack Nicholson trilogy where he played older guys flawed or disconnected from the mainstream world in some way being redeemed through relationships with women.

Not bollocks at all - he had a great run with those films. His voiceover in About Schmidt is quite incredibly moving. It's a shame he seems to have retired - of course he doesn't have to, but I'd love to see one more Jacked up performance from the mad old bastard. The IMDB's trivia section tells me he's a huge wrestling fan! Who knew?

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of lovely films today.

Robot & Frank is a pretty easy sell considering it's an hour and a half of Frank Langella moaning at his robot servant, but it's still really funny and touching plus you get a bonus Liv Tyler.

The Lady in the Van was a good film to back it with as well. Does the reality / fiction melding that 24 Hour Party People mastered but Alex Jennings is a cracking Alan Bennett and Maggie Smith is as great as you might imagine.

Watched Hearts Beat Loud (2018) the other night with Kiersey Clemons and Nick Offerman. What a lovely wee film. I'd had a particularly crap day and this really lifted my spirits. It's about a father and daughter who start a band together essentially and watching it just made me feel really fucking happy.

Highly recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7158430/

• Paid Members
On 11/27/2018 at 7:51 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I couldn't get past his name, never heard of him until that Lone Ranger debacle and assumed he was some wacky American comedian who liked toothpaste and baking soda.

He actually is called Armand Hammer and he is the heir to the baking/soda toothpaste company fortune. Another working class kid managing to get his foot in the door in Hollywood despite all his disadvantages.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Mission Impossible Fallout.  Unquestionably brilliant  One of the best action movies I've seen since the last Mission Impossible film.

Ha, just rerewatched this myself tonight. Brilliant and dangerous in ways that action films are just meant to be anymore.

4 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

He actually is called Armand Hammer and he is the heir to the baking/soda toothpaste company fortune

Just checked this because it sounded too good to be true and alas, it sort of is.  His grandfather of the same name tried to buy the company that owned Arm and Hammer after years of being asked if he was the man behind them but wasn't successful.  His company did purchase enough stock to get gramps a seat on the board of directors though.

You Were Never Really Here - Incredibly unsettling and violent without seeing much violence and Joaquin Phoenix is excellent.  Lynne Ramsay is such a brilliant filmmaker, she creates worlds that make you feel unclean.   Imagine what she could do with a Bond film?

• Paid Members

It's still my film of the year. Greenwood's scores for the film and/or Phantom Thread deserve all the awards. I haven't watched the film back because I found it to be so upsetting at the cinema.

Anyway, I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse yesterday. To reduce it, it's basically a less funny version of Lego Batman with more serious and less gags. It's good fun, though. Getting it right with the balance of frivolous and serious so both can find space without hampering the story. I'm sure you dorks that read the comics will get more out of it than us super shaggers.

Edited by ColinBollocks
Shagging at the time.