On 12/16/2020 at 10:11 AM, garynysmon said:

How much of a star does Kenny Omega come across

He has been for years.

Pretty amazed at this 'revelation' (as seems to be largely the case on here). Did people think the reporting of his 5+ star matches, or his character, in Japan was some kind of urban myth? Hardly excuseable in this day & age. Can't be that difficult to find the footage. OK, you may just have chosen not to watch it, but if I came on here saying how great some former WWE worker looked, never having watched them for the previous umpteen years, through choice, I can imagine the response(s). He is that good and we've been telling anyone that'd listen, for years. I think the IWGP Heavyweight Title probably trumps a dodgy heel turn & an appearance or two on IMPACT. Glad everyone's finally enjoying him at something like his best.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Did people think the reporting of his 5+ star matches, or his character, in Japan was some kind of urban myth?

8 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

He is that good and we've been telling anyone that'd listen, for years

But enough about Albert, what do you think about Omega?

29 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

He has been for years.

Pretty amazed at this 'revelation' (as seems to be largely the case on here). Did people think the reporting of his 5+ star matches, or his character, in Japan was some kind of urban myth? Hardly excuseable in this day & age. Can't be that difficult to find the footage. OK, you may just have chosen not to watch it, but if I came on here saying how great some former WWE worker looked, never having watched them for the previous umpteen years, through choice, I can imagine the response(s). He is that good and we've been telling anyone that'd listen, for years. I think the IWGP Heavyweight Title probably trumps a dodgy heel turn & an appearance or two on IMPACT. Glad everyone's finally enjoying him at something like his best.

He didn't come across like one in AEW to start with and that's been the whole point. It's not like anyone disagreed with whatever he did in Japan. It was more that he wasn't showing the same thing in his new company. First impressions weren't great for many and it was also a little confusing for those who had seen him before and expected great things. There have been small glimpses but it's really only clicked for him recently.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

He has been for years.

Did you ever consider people watched him and didn't consider him a star? I watched plenty of his stuff in Japan and enjoyed almost all of it but didn't feel he came across as a particular star and felt the "reporting of 5+ star matches" to be over egging his actual performances a touch.

That being said he was clearly very good.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KingofSports said:

He has been for years.

If the fanbase harping on about his 5 star matches and his character were half as annoying as you, I probably ignored them. Bore off.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Has there been any talk of AEW acquiring Impact , or at least their tape library ?

The chances of that are basically zero if you consider Anthem's strategy for the company. Certainly not Khan levels of scale, but not an operation to be sniffed at in fairness.

It only just relaunched its own VOD app, is making a big push on monthly specials for the said Impact+, so it would be pretty pointless given the main reason it bought TNA in the first place was for content it owned on its various combat channels.

That said, Impact has been pretty liberal in licensing its footage which has showed up on various WWE docs/DVDs. I'd imagine AEW would have similar if not more favourable access, after all, not like the WWE are going to release any videos to Tony Khan of Sting's WCW/WWE run is it?

@KingofSports As it goes for Omega, as marginalised as Impact is right now, New Japan is and never has been mainstream stuff has it? New Japan's biggest exposure in the US was on the same channel that everyone takes the piss out of Impact for being on now, so its hardly surprising that most people outside of the hardcore are that familiar with much of his stuff.

As others have mentioned, I wasn't really a fan of how Omega had been booked in AEW until now and didn't really get the hype. The last few weeks have changed that and I'm happy to say it. 

As for his 5* matches, Meltzer wanking over pretty obscure stuff in Japan is hardly anything new. Even through the zenith of the WWF's popularity in the late 90's Meltzer used to spend an obscene amount of time on his eyada shows and newsletter banging on about Misawa etc, so I've never really taken that for much to be frank.

Edited by garynysmon