I think if I walk around my office and ask who Grado is they'll look at me blankly. Ask them who Magaluf girl is and probably a different story.

And if the stewards at the Hydro asked the fans going into the WWE show who Grado is I suspect the folk wearing ICW tops etc will get all enthusiastic, but most wrestling fans in Scotland will not know who he is.

Well aye that is exactly what I am saying. I gave an example of the type of fanfare he attracts. That incident happened in front of my own eyes.

If you do a bit of groundwork you'd find that you guys are probably underestimating how many people actually know who he is. 1million people watched Insane Fight Club. with a further two hundred thousand or so in in iplayer views and downloads. Thats about 6 times WWE's UK audience and about 3 times TNA's. It would be absolutely impossible to watch that programme and not come away knowing who Grado is.

Edited by PBWFan

• Paid Members

But they didn't watch it for him. He was just an extremely likable part of it. 4 million people watch Raw every week in the States, but its not like Titus O'Neil is a household name. You are putting way to much thought into the idea people give a shit about wrestling to the degree of actually thinking about it as soon as they switch the telly off.

Thats about 6 times WWE's UK audience and about 3 times TNA's. It would be absolutely impossible to watch that programme and not come away knowing who Grado is.

This is such a hilarious post, its stunning.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Well, I'm guessing the Insane Fight Club viewers were all Scottish, every single one of them. Plus about 20 Aberdeen fans. I'd say that must mean Bruce Forsyth is no longer a household name as he has been replaced by a wrestler.

Being charitable, at best he might have been a water cooler moment for some of the viewers. "did ye see that Grado, he was some laugh". Do they still remember him, questionable.

I don't know, I mean is there some kind of measurable increase in show attenedance when the man is advertised? It's not like I've noticed ads in the papers saying shows that were previously held in local venues are now in the Hydro to accommodate all the additional fans going to see your homeboy Grado.

A household name is one that's known by people who didn't watch a show they were on. For example, I don't watch Doctor Who but I know who Matt Smith and David Tennant are. I know who Harry Styles is etc.

It would be absolutely impossible to watch that programme and not come away knowing who Grado is.

Fucking George Lucas.  Han Shot First

Seriously though, I've heard the name thrown around on here, and maybe PS as well, but if I passed this bloke in the street I'd have no idea who he is. 

I've never watched their shows, but I know who Heston Blumenthal, those two brids who moan about people's mucky houses and Gok Wan, are. 

Its a bit of celebrity, fair play to him, but if my Nan doesn't ask me about him, he's not a household name.  End of

Edited by Doctor Whos Next