Raw before the Rumble thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I think there could be loads coming in this year. You get the sense they realise they need to start doing something about making new stars and they're quite serious about it, with there being a lot of positives with the treatment of Cesaro, Sandow, Ryback and The Shield last year. And then Langston got brought in right at the end of the year, which i think the timing may have been wrong on that one. But, yeah i'm expecting a lot of call-ups and decent pushes this year, it feels to me like anyone who's getting over with something on NXT could be called up pretty swiftly. May wait until post-Mania now though, but wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of call-ups of fresh talent and releases of deadwood there.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Imagine the difference in class if they make Sheamus, Barrett and The Miz the next batch of headliners?

Yeah, this concerns me a little too. Those who constantly tout Miz and Barrett as potential bona-fide stars i think are mental. I believe they've got a level and it's not with those mentioned. Sheamus is alright though, there's heaps of potential in him.

Somewhat on this subject though, who does everyone think may get called up from NXT this year and out of those who do you think may make waves?

Isn't Sheamus 34/35, though? No idea how his body is holding up, but his hard work in the ring doesn't scream a lengthy post-40 career, either.

Ryback is in his early 30s, personally I think he's the bloke they need to be building. Not sure if WWE see it that way though, seeing as he loses all the big matches.

• Paid Members
Not much difference between early 30's and being 34 though is there? I honestly can't see where the next star is coming from unless they allow them free mic time and to allow them to develop their gimmicks on their own a bit more.

There is a difference in the way both men work, though. Sheamus regularly has long wars, while they try to keep most of Ryback's matches as short as they can - granted, injuries can happen at any time.

I must admit, I'm hoping Punk retains the title and if he doesn't it's another indication that today's wrestlers aren't as good as those from yesteryear.

Good in what way? Rock is obviously a bigger star but I imagine his ring rust is going to be highlighted quite a bit going against punk. Especially since he's about as bulky and mobile as Robocop.

Except if Punk is any good then The Rock's ring rust will be hidden won't it? Unless its' the story of the match, but you're not talking about that since you mentioned The Rock being bulky.

I don't know what's boring these days, arguments that Cena should turn heel or the utter bullshit "Punk should hold onto his streak for longer until it's a bigger stage" schtik. I can't get over how tired I am of hearing that. Its mentioned on the first page of this thread. Punk should have done the job to Ryback, the only logical reason for him not doing so was so he could drop it to The Rock. People seem to have worked it in their heads that Punk should never drop the belt. It's like every person who has a hardon for Punk also doesn't think he's actually that good and needs more protecting than anyone else. He doesn't. I'm not even a big fan of him and I give him more credit than that.

• Paid Members

The Rock's been training with the WWE 'C' crew for a few years, whilst filming and that. Plus, I'm sure he knows how to pace himself; it's not like he's never done this before. The Rock hasn't missed a beat since his return, too. Not sure why that will suddenly change, especially with a worker the class of Punk - if anything working with The Rock should be considered a bit of a night off.

Plus he seems like the kinda guy to pride himself on doing things right. It's clear the effort he puts in to prep for movies etc, especially his physique, so while he's naturally talented I'm sure he's working off the ring rust as we speak. He himself would hate to go out there and put in a sloppy performance.

Come to think of it, I can't think of many (if any) Rock matches that could be considered as him phoning it in. At least nothing that comes to mind straight away.

I don't know what's boring these days, arguments that Cena should turn heel or the utter bullshit "Punk should hold onto his streak for longer until it's a bigger stage" schtik. I can't get over how tired I am of hearing that. Its mentioned on the first page of this thread. Punk should have done the job to Ryback, the only logical reason for him not doing so was so he could drop it to The Rock. People seem to have worked it in their heads that Punk should never drop the belt. It's like every person who has a hardon for Punk also doesn't think he's actually that good and needs more protecting than anyone else. He doesn't. I'm not even a big fan of him and I give him more credit than that.

Or maybe, rather than just being blind Punk fan-boys, people are actually enjoying the long story line of a heel holding the belt and actually building heat for a bloody change. Perhaps some people think that throwing the belt on Ryback on a nothing PPV would have done more harm than good for both him and the belt, especially so close to the Rumble/Mania.

I swear, if this was JBL we were talking about and he was bullshitting his way through title defense after title defense while claiming to be the Wrestling God and Greatest Champ of All Time, most of this forum would be fine with it. For some reason, it being CM Punk (combined with the other anti-smark hate figure Paul Heyman) means that suddenly we all don't like long term booking or strong heel title runs.

Lots of people on here also are not super excited to see Cena/Rock again, especially if Rock is the Champ going in and therefore the end result is as blatant as fuck. Many would prefer a three-way match or some other option. No-one expected Punk's reign to last this long and one way or the other it's got people talking. I think it's great that for a change there are actually a few interesting routes WWE could take leading into Mania.

• Paid Members

Or maybe, rather than just being blind Punk fan-boys, people are actually enjoying the long story line of a heel holding the belt and actually building heat for a bloody change. Perhaps some people think that throwing the belt on Ryback on a nothing PPV would have done more harm than good for both him and the belt, especially so close to the Rumble/Mania.

I swear, if this was JBL we were talking about and he was bullshitting his way through title defense after title defense while claiming to be the Wrestling God and Greatest Champ of All Time, most of this forum would be fine with it. For some reason, it being CM Punk (combined with the other anti-smark hate figure Paul Heyman) means that suddenly we all don't like long term booking or strong heel title runs.

Lots of people on here also are not super excited to see Cena/Rock again, especially if Rock is the Champ going in and therefore the end result is as blatant as fuck. Many would prefer a three-way match or some other option. No-one expected Punk's reign to last this long and one way or the other it's got people talking. I think it's great that for a change there are actually a few interesting routes WWE could take leading into Mania.

Have to agree. Keep in mind that really long title reigns aren't that common these days, plus this is the first time since JBL and Triple H at 'Mania 21 that there was such a prime opportunity for building up a heel champion with a long, fan-exasperating, chicken-shit reign to the massive, feel-good moment when the face takes it off him.

I'm not sure it's fair to call referencing the "I have a dream" speech, the man's most famous speech, on his day "shoehorning". It's like saying they shoehorned santa into the christmas show.

Was it a special MLK edition of RAW? If not, I call shoehorning.

They opened, as they do every year, with the video package about him and they wished people happy martin luther king day. It's not like it hadn't been mentioned until then.

I mean, I don't feel that strongly about it, just thought it was a more natural reference than some

Fair enough. Didn't know that. I retract my shoehorning accusations and apologise to all involved.

I do, however, take issue with the 'as they do every year' comment. I've been watching wrestling for over 30 years and didn't even know there was a Martin Luther King Day. If they have mentioned it every year, then I must have missed that particular Raw every year.

Archived