Raw before the Rumble thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's hard to do it on small children though, their legs are too small. So I'm told.

But yeah, it's easy enough. Though when I was a kid I opted for the Boston Crab. Quicker to pull off in the playground.

• Paid Members

Jesus Christ, that John Cena promo at the end was abysmal. I tend to defend Cena a lot on here, but I'm not touching that one. That entire end segment was pretty crap, but at least it hammered home the message that the Royal Rumble is this Sunday. All in all, it wasn't the best go-home show for the PPV, but the Royal Rumble sells itself doesn't it.

I'm enjoying the Punk/Rock stuff and especially the added intrigue that The Shield offer to the storyline. Throw Ryback into the mix with The Shield and you've got a nice bunch of guys involved in some interesting stuff at the top end of the card. I'm really hoping Ryback wins the Rumble match although I don't know where they would go with it if he does. Maybe Big Show will be WHC again by then and we can see if Ryback can Shellshock him to win his first world title for that 'WrestleMania moment'.

At this stage, I have no real interest in seeing Cena vs Rock again at WrestleMania, but throw in CM Punk in a three way and I'm happy. That way you've got three guys all with issues with each other and you can tie all the angles together nicely and John can walk out of WrestleMania as Champion.

That frees up Lesnar for the expected rematch with HHH.

The Figure Four is very difficult to do though. I've seen people in real life try it who were fairly flexible and not fat, and they couldn't do it. They'd never watched wrestling before though.

I hope you are being sarcastic. I was slapping figure fours on anyone game for it when I was about 9. Pretty sure both parents and my brother felt the wrath of it.

This. All day, especially in Royal Rumbles in mates gardens. If 10 year old me can do it, so should The Miz.

I struggle to get in and out of cars if there's another one parked right beside it, and even my inflexible arse can slap one on with relative ease. The Miz made a complete and utter cunt of it, and had the hard neck to style it out like there wasn't anything wrong. Once it went tits up he should have tried again, rather than lie there humping Zigglers leg like a fanny.

I like people not being allowed into the arena, it reminds me of the good old days. The problem is though if the workaround doesn't involve the subject commandeering a Zamboni or beating up security guards the payoff stinks. This payoff stunk. I like The Rock but I was feeling Punks pain when he was shaking his head at the "I have a dream" stuff. I know it was MLK day, but that sounded shite.

The end segment was unmitigated bird guff, should have ended in a Cena/Sheamus/Ryback staredown with the three being set upon by the roster. Cenas promo was different at least, I'll give him that.

The beat the clock challenge was poor for me, mostly due to the fact that my pet peeve of an ad break during matches happened during two of them. Infuriating stuff.

As far as Mania goes, i'd be surprised if they headlined with two rehashes of the two biggest main events of last year. One would be fine, two would be pushing it.

• Paid Members

Underwhelming. Felt like they just wanted it out of the way so they could do the Rumble, to be honest. I will say that I'm stunned at how much I'm actually buying Del Rio as a babyface, mind.

I'd of liked to of seen them end the show

If I could get away with killing you, I would.

The gimmick themed Raws are usually a drag and this was no exception. The timed matches were hurt by the ads and also the fact that they looked like any other WWE matches. No one did anything different to get over the unique stipulation.

Glad to see the Rock get his head kicked in and he did a good job selling it. HHH needs to step in as the on-air chairman cos Vince's dementia is coming on thick and fast. The "smell what the Vic is cookin'" and "user name skidmarks247" lines got guilty laughs although I didn't laugh at Rocks "fatbitchgirlzarefagz" stuff cos I'm a GOOD PERSON DAMN IT.

The anger management thing was fun while it lasted but can we sweep it under the carpet now? Why was there zero hype for the tag title match? Rhode Scholars win titles at RR and Hell NO split causing an intense feud leading to DB tapping out Kane at Mania and after a hard earned victory Bryan reaches out and they forget the things that set them apart and hug one last time. That'd be sweet. I'm a good person.

Del Rio continues to be decent as a babyface - the moonsalt, rana and dive to the outside will get him pops and Ricardo can be his Elizabeth in peril. The Miz is fucked though ain't he? He's a glorious car crash at the moment. They've put a thing up on WWE.com about last nights figure four and they're trying to cover for it with an angle, saying he's still in the process of 'mastering the move', so we should conveniently forget about him already doing it a couple of times last week.

• Paid Members
Underwhelming. Felt like they just wanted it out of the way so they could do the Rumble, to be honest. I will say that I'm stunned at how much I'm actually buying Del Rio as a babyface, mind.

I'd of liked to of seen them end the show

If I could get away with killing you, I would.

Harsh but deserved. Had enjoyed whoever's sig that was in too. Sincere apologies.

So, I finally got around to watching Raw. Good, but not great. They tried to hype the Rumble, but the elements were all just a little off, much like Miz's Figure Four. I've got to say, I don't see the huge problem with the move, it looked a bit off centre, but nowhere near the major botch the comments on here made it out to be.

Beat The Clock is one of my favourite WWE concepts, but it wasn't executed as well here. Orton and Cesaro traded a few quick pin attempts early, but then settled into a slow routine match, complete with Orton pausing to play to the crowd before his DDT. Nuts. Also, they should have just said the BTC was for the #30 spot, and then had Vickie flip and change her mind after the Dolph/AJ make out sesh. She apparently thought she could get police suspended for not being corrupt, so it fits with her standard judgement there.

The build to Punk vs. Rock has been very strong, but I feel like this week it came down a notch. Rock stretched realism a lot, standing in the same spot after an hour with the cops, and apparently getting a super VIP ticket that allowed him to go backstage and chat with the production guys to hit his music. The MLK stuff in his promo felt a bit forced and shoehorned in there simply because of the holiday, so that didn't do anything for the feud's progress. Punk's promo was good, but everything in it had already been said in essence, I feel like his first "pipebomb" a couple of weeks ago was much stronger.

I will say that I'm stunned at how much I'm actually buying Del Rio as a babyface, mind.

Same. It's been a heavy-handed push of the Latino hero thing, but Del Rio himself has performed admirably, from his cadence of his promos, to his facial expressions and adopting a more face-friendly moveset with the 'ranas and the moonsaults. He has benefited from being in front of crowds with a larger Latino population the past couple of weeks (Miami, San Jose), so I'm curious to see the babyface reception he gets from different crowds up north.

Cena's promo was definitely bizarre, although I feel like if he'd gotten through the joking with the crowd quicker, it would have seemed more witty, instead he laboured the point and then quickly threw a Rumble mention in at the end. I hope that show closing brawl wasn't entirely indicative of who the Rumble participants will be. JTG? McGillicutty? Hawkins? Talk about scraping the barrel, and those are spots that could be better used for awesome surprise entrants. :angry:

On this WM chatter, aside a couple of the recent Taker matches (and let's face it, he's a special case) and the one occasion at XV and X-Seven where Rock and Austin fought the same main event twice, WM has never been about re-matches. And at this juncture, we're looking at a re-match heavy WM card:

HHH / Lesnar

Rock / Cena

Can't argue with the logic provided for both, but it shows a serious lack of, well, everything. Imagination, creativity, talent. Will WWE see it that way, or just look at buyrates? Despite HHH's control backstage now, WM is still very much Vinny's baby and the two banded feature matches don't really seem fitting with previous years.

Rock / Brock - would surely do huge box office numbers as mentioned former UFC champ v Hollywood Star, and the last time they did it was Summerslam '02?

Cena / Taker - is it feesable to suggest Cena winning the Rumble and calling out the Deadman for Mania instead of getting a title shot? It could still main event.

Punk / Ryback - it's where the build has been just recently, and it would elevate Ryback on the biggest stage.

HHH / Sheamus - alright, it's a bit of a long shot. Or is it? They're friends out of the ring and if you're talking about revenge then HHH never got his revenge on Sheamus after the EC in 2010. Sheamus boasted that he'd ended HHH's career, he was off TV for 10 months and it was never mentioned on his return as he went straight into the Taker feud for the WM build up.

• Paid Members

'Mania is definitely not the time to be turning Cena heel, not only does it shite on what they're trying to build with CM Punk but there is nobody ready to take Cena's place. They're best holding off a Cena heel turn (if they want it) until either Summer Slam or the big Wrestlemania 30 event, at least then they'll have a bit of time to build an ADR or Ryback for the Cena spot.

Plus, I think there is mileage in another lengthy Cena babyface title run, seeing as he's not held the belt in ages.

Personally, I'm up for another Rock/Cena match, partly because I think The Rock is in better form and they'll probably try something better/different to help erase the disappointing build for last years event.

I can understand why folk are bored of the Rock/Cena thing though, that's been two years they've been feuding at Wrestlemania (with a third coming soon), and a lot of the build hasn't been much cop.

'Mania is definitely not the time to be turning Cena heel, not only does it shite on what they're trying to build with CM Punk but there is nobody ready to take Cena's place. They're best holding off a Cena heel turn (if they want it) until either Summer Slam or the big Wrestlemania 30 event, at least then they'll have a bit of time to build an ADR or Ryback for the Cena spot.

Plus, I think there is mileage in another lengthy Cena babyface title run, seeing as he's not held the belt in ages.

Personally, I'm up for another Rock/Cena match, partly because I think The Rock is in better form and they'll probably try something better/different to help erase the disappointing build for last years event.

Really good point actually - I get the feeling they might just go with:

Rock vs Cena II (non title)

Punk vs Taker (Streak vs Streak)

HHH vs Lesnar

Big Show vs Ryback (WHC)

I guess my worry is throwing away either the title run streak or Wrestlemania streak.....

Archived